OT More on the NightMist Saga

Old September 23rd 11, 06:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT More on the NightMist Saga

I am all poked full of holes, have three hospital bracelets, and my back
is just killing me from laying about on gurneys and hospital beds.

So Wednesday I went and had my bloodwork done, and the ultrasounds, and
the chest x-ray. If I have to fast for tests I am by gosh only going to
do it once!

Wednesday evening, yes after office hours, the clinic called and said
that the doctor wanted to see me first thing in the morning. I did not
feel that this boded well.

Much to my surprise, what she wanted to see me about was my hematocrit.
I was _very_ anemic, the actual result on the test was 4. She told me "I
am not understanding how you are standing up and walking around when you
are this anemic!" Apparently 4 on that test is bad enough to warrant
drastic action. Next thing you know I am in the ER with half a ream of
paperwork. I spent about 12 hours in The ER being poked and prodded by
five different doctors. One of them wanted to do surgery immediately and
so they acted accordingly and starved me all day. They had me admitted
by evening and I spent the night in the hospital getting two units of
blood, while another half dozen doctors went over my tests. At least
they fed me after I was admitted.

This morning I saw two more doctors and they discharged me. I go up to
Roswell on Tuesday.
Apparently the mass in my tummy is so huge that they could not tell where
it started out from with just the ultrasound, so they did a CAT scan
while I was in the ER. According to the doctors I saw this morning, all
the tests have pretty much narrowed it down to three possibilities, but
until they actually are looking inside me and then do pathology on the
mass they cannot be sure exactly which one it is. The options a An
unusual type of fibroid, endometriosis, or ovarian cancer. I am rooting
for fibroids.

Now I am going to go take a nap as they didn't finish getting the blood
in me until about 2:00 in the morning, and the whole time I was hooked up
to it they were coming in every half hour to check me out and make sure
that I wasn't having a bad reaction. Tired am I!

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 23rd 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

What a nightmare Nightmist! I hope it's just fibroids as well and I hope
they can get a result for you asap, so you're not sitting in limbo waiting
to hear.

Pauline
Northern California

Old September 23rd 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 23/09/2011 18:10, NightMist wrote:
[...]

Phew! I'd have been gnawing the leg off any passing stranger that
didn't move fast enough by then! Have they any idea how you got so
anemic? I thought you had a fairly well balanced diet... or do they
think it might be something to do with the mass?

This morning I saw two more doctors and they discharged me. I go up to
Roswell on Tuesday.
Apparently the mass in my tummy is so huge that they could not tell where
it started out from with just the ultrasound, so they did a CAT scan
while I was in the ER. According to the doctors I saw this morning, all
the tests have pretty much narrowed it down to three possibilities, but
until they actually are looking inside me and then do pathology on the
mass they cannot be sure exactly which one it is. The options a An
unusual type of fibroid, endometriosis, or ovarian cancer. I am rooting
for fibroids.

Oh, this, so much! Whatever gods they are better be working hard on
this, or there will b some serious hell to pay!

Now I am going to go take a nap as they didn't finish getting the blood
in me until about 2:00 in the morning, and the whole time I was hooked up
to it they were coming in every half hour to check me out and make sure
that I wasn't having a bad reaction. Tired am I!

I'll bet. Sleep well, love, and keep us posted. We are all keeping you
close over this one. And good luck on Tuedsy. Thinking of you will
keep me grounded over the latest Hairy Eyeball examination. Back to the
Moorfield for a check-up.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 23rd 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL[_2_]

I am glad to know that you are getting some medical attention. Fingers
crossed for a quick diagnosis and effective trerament plan.

Mary in Rock Island IL

Old September 23rd 11, 09:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I rather suspect endometriosis; just sounds like it to me and what do I
know? I guess I'll put on my Pollyanna hat and be glad for you that you've
got all of that awful testing behind you. About 5 months after my ordeal,
Mr. Esther came home to find me out digging up the backyard.
"Who are you and what have you done with my wife?" he asked because I
had felt so bad for so many years. Nightmist! we just might be fixing to
have a new you. You're going to love feeling good again. Polly

o.uk...

Old September 23rd 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

[...]

Oh my! What an ordeal. I'm rooting for the least of these three evils,
and that they narrow it down quickly. I think the wait is the worst part.

I know about the doctors who check on you so often that you get no
sleep. Take care of yourself, and make sure you are looked after at
home! No running around trying to look after everyone else, seriously,
get some rest.

Much love from Scotland, Jo

Old September 23rd 11, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

My Wings are on their way.
I'm glad they DID the tests pronto instead of having you come back come back
come back to each Dr on their schedule. Sometimes, those Drs do get it
right.
Hope this next set are just as persistent and you're better than before.

Know what very anemic is....only had it once but was strictly informed that
RED MEAT/high protein would be a staple in my diet the rest of my life.
NEVER had it as a problem since.

Butterfly ((((HUGS))))

Old September 24th 11, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 15:13:56 -0700, Butterfly-Wings wrote:

My Wings are on their way.
I'm glad they DID the tests pronto instead of having you come back come
back come back to each Dr on their schedule. Sometimes, those Drs do get
it right.
Hope this next set are just as persistent and you're better than before.

Know what very anemic is....only had it once but was strictly informed
that RED MEAT/high protein would be a staple in my diet the rest of my
life. NEVER had it as a problem since.

Butterfly ((((HUGS))))

I have had just the opposite experience with anemia.
I used to be chronically anemic, then I went vegetarian and from then
until now it hasn't been a problem.
Dry beans are an excellent source of iron and they make up a large part
of our diet. If I were an ignorant vegetarian it would very likely be a
problem, but we actually studied the nutrition of it when we made the
leap.

My current troubles with it are very likely the result of several
different things that have nothing to do with my actual diet.
I will give more details in my response to Kate.

*basking in Butterfly hugs*
mmmm...I needed that
Thanks

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 24th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:05:17 +0100, Kate XXXXXX wrote:

[...]

They didn't suggest a cause, they were too busy freaking out. Though
they wrote me some scripts that make me think that they are in agreement
with me about the causes.
My theory is it is the stress on my body combined with my mutation.
At the base of it the mutation causes insufficiency of the folic aid
metabolism. If your body is shorted on folic acid you tend to get what is
called folic acid deficient anemia. You can sit and gnaw on a railroad
spike all day and the iron won't help because without enough folic acid
your body will not use it properly. Combine that with the facts that my
insides are squished up enough that I cannot eat a proper meal at a go,
and during my cycles I have been bleeding hugely, and you have trouble.
I have already been supplementing both folic acid (at a previously
prescribed level, a whole milligram daily), and iron. The doctors
doubled my folic acid supplement, and hugely multiplied the iron.

Tired am I!

I'll bet. Sleep well, love, and keep us posted. We are all keeping you
close over this one. And good luck on Tuedsy. Thinking of you will
keep me grounded over the latest Hairy Eyeball examination. Back to the
Moorfield for a check-up.

Hey best of luck with that eyeball!
Eyes are serious business when something goes wrong, especially when you
use them as intensely as you do!

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 24th 11, 03:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

NM, that sounds very similar to what the situation was with my
fibroids. They couldn't do ultrasound or pelvic because they were so
huge. The anemia was so bad the dr didn't understand how I was working
or even out of bed. And then they told me if I had a car accident, I
would never make it to the hospital. When they did the surgery [after
3 months of trying to get me into medical menopause], the fibroids
weighed 12 pounds.

Really hoping the issue for you is fibroids, the least of the three
evils.
Ginger in CA