Ring resizing?

Old February 13th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Graver

Default Ring resizing?

On Feb 13, 1:17*am, Peter W. Rowe
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:06:52 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Jeweller

wrote:
If you do decide to resize by cutting and putting a piece in, one
finger size is equal to 1.1mm

In Australian ring sizes (assumed by your addy), that's correct (I assume. *but
didn't look it up...) * But in U.S. sizes, one full size is 2.5 millimeters. If
one is being very precise, I think it's actually 2.54 mm... *And then, since you
cut the shank open to insert the piece, you can add another .25 mm to make up
for the width of the saw cut. * Again, for real precision, remember that this
length of stock is most accurately measured on the inside of the ring, at the
finger or mandrel surface. *But actually measuring it on the inside is a pain in
the backside. *Most people mark the ring, and the stock, on the outside surface.
For fractions of a size, or a size or even two, the result is the stock is very
slightly shorter, so the ring ends up a little bit tighter than the desired
size. *That's perfect, since it allows you to clean up the solder and the
addition, and mallet the ring properly round again, and the slight stretching
that causes then gives you the desired end size. *But if you're making a ring
more than maybe a size and a half, or two sizes, larger, you start to need to
measure longer than that theoretical 2.5 mm per size, or the ring will end up
significantly too small. *Practice will teach you how much to adjust. * The
other way to do this which avoids the math is simply to cut the shank, slide it
up a ring mandrel to the desired size, making sure the shank stays flush to the
madrel while doing this. *Then use a divider to measure the resulting gap and
mark your sizing stock to cut the needed insert piece.

Peter

From looking at the picture you've posted, the bezel surounding the
agate is not holding the stone in place. I can see gaps on the outer
edges which means you could probably soak the ring in a product called
" Atack " and that will release the stone without hurting the agate at
all. Agates are around 71/2 on the hardness scale so you wont hurt the
the polish in any way. This would be the easiest way to approach this
job as anyone not familiar with soldering the ring in wet sand or
water most often overheats the shank and makes more problems then
they'd like.

Mark

Old February 14th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

stacy c wrote:
I have a ring that I made in a size 7.25 for sale; a buyer who is a
size 9 wants it.

The most I have ever stretched a ring is up to 1 full size, with a
roller stretcher. The stone, which is already set, is very unique, so
this would be my preferred option, but I am afraid that stretching it
almost 2 sizes might be too much for the sterling silver.

Does anyone have any advice on stretching?

Am I going to have to pop the stone out and sleeve some more silver
into the band?

thanks,
-stacy

Either way, rolling or putting in a piece has its drawbacks.
Rolling, which ive done a lots, distorts the band, as well as thinning
it. Risky to true up on your trivet with the stone set .
Putting in a piece into the band is not as good as making a fresh band
for the setting .
Eitherway you would be advised to pop? if its that easy? the stone out
and then do the alterations. Did you leave a hole under the stone to
assist its removal? by some future jeweller?

If it was me, id replace the band and keep the setting.

One trick ive used when putting in a piece into the band is to enclose
the setting in a mass of ball clay nice and soft. weve tons of it here
as our subsoil.( the Romans mined it 2000 yrs ago )
then id put this mass immersed in water with the band sticking out about
3/4in.
Works fine.

Ted Frater

Dorset ~UK.
Old February 14th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
stacy c

On Feb 13, 9:19 am, Graver wrote:

From looking at the picture you've posted, the bezel surounding the
agate is not holding the stone in place. I can see gaps on the outer
edges which means you could probably soak the ring in a product called
" Atack " and that will release the stone without hurting the agate at
all. Agates are around 71/2 on the hardness scale so you wont hurt the
the polish in any way. This would be the easiest way to approach this
job as anyone not familiar with soldering the ring in wet sand or
water most often overheats the shank and makes more problems then
they'd like.

Mark

Well, the stone is a strange shape (not a flush square; the table is
quite a bit smaller than the bottom), so the bezel is actually holding
the stone in there. I always try to get the stone out after I set it
on purpose to make sure. But I am a new jeweler and always open
to suggestions.

I appreciate everyone's help!

thanks again,
-stacy
Old February 22nd 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Bro

In this here newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on Wed, 11 Feb 2009
23:53:29 -0800 we all dun see'd a message a-written by Peter W. Rowe
which dun sed:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:40:33 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Jeweller
wrote:

Also, what type of setting is the stone in? Can you describe the ring
or post a pic? And what is the stone?

Please be advised that posting of pictures, images, HTML coded messages, or
other non simple text messages is not allowed by the group charger. My
moderating software isn't set up to correctly pass an attachment on from an
incoming message out to the newsgroup when I get an attachment to a message sent
to the group, so even if I wanted to make an exception and allow an image, the
software won't do it. So if you wish to reference a picture for a posting, the
way to do it is to post the picture to the web. There are a number of free
servers out there that will host pictures for you for free. Then you simply
include the URL to the image in your newsgroup posting. That works fine.
\
thanks.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry

Peter,
Just for you & this ng, I'll set up an FTP or webpage to post pictures
for noobs and others, free of charge.
They merely have to email me their picture and any text they want with
it and I'll put it up.
It'll have to be on my halebobb.com domain though since I don't want
people to be able to find me in reality via the interweb.

Doc
Old February 22nd 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Bro

In this here newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on Wed, 11 Feb 2009
23:49:58 -0800 we all dun see'd a message a-written by Peter W. Rowe
which dun sed:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:42:02 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Gantzi
wrote:

In addition, you might want to cover the stone and some of the ring
with cooling paste so it won't be damaged when soldering the
additional piece of silver.

As a general rule, in my experience I've found those paste products to be only
marginally useful with silver (or with gold too, often enough). While they have
uses in cases where you need to protect some smaller detail, they suffer from
the problem that as a paste or gel, they aren't able to flow towards the metal.
What happens is that the metal gets hot, the gel absorbs the heat for a while
till it dries out at the surface of the metal. When that happens (and it
doesn't take long), then a slight air gap develops between the remaining gel and
the metal, so although the metal under the gel is not subject to the direct
flame, it's also not heat sinked by the gel. Silver is the finest thermal
conductor of all the metals, and transmits heat very quickly. If you need to
heat sink a heat sensative stone while sizing anything but the thinnest of
shanks, you need a more effective heat sink. Plain water does the trick nicely.
Immerse the top half of the ring (the stone set part) under water in a container
(I use an old tuna fish can). Now, as the silver transmits heat to the water,
the water can continue to wet the surface. It will sizzle, the water may even
boil, but the stone will get no hotter than boiling water. If the sizzling and
spitting of the water boiling where it contact the silver is a problem, or if
you have trouble holding the ring in position, you can also use coarse sand, or
carborundum soldering grain, in that container and then saturated with water.
The grain or sand hold the ring in position. But with less water, there's a
little less heat sinking capacity. Still, this is often a useful method. The
other big advantage to the use of plain water or wet sand is that not only does
it work better than those paste products, but it's a lot less expensive, and not
so messy to use.

Peter

I agree, yet...
I use powdered asbestos mixed with water. It doesn't pull away from
the silver, in fact it almost bonds with it, and doesn't pull away so
much.
And before everyone jumps all over my sh!t, no, I don't put the
asbestos into a paper sack and huff it.

Old February 22nd 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:38:20 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Bro
wrote:

Peter,
Just for you & this ng, I'll set up an FTP or webpage to post pictures
for noobs and others, free of charge.
They merely have to email me their picture and any text they want with
it and I'll put it up.
It'll have to be on my halebobb.com domain though since I don't want
people to be able to find me in reality via the interweb.

Doc

Generous of ya. Though I doubt you'll see a flood of people taking you up on
the offer. Still, another good option for anyone who finds your offer, decodes
your email address, but doesn't find any of the other existing free sites out
there that host pictures for people. Thanks.

Peter
Old February 22nd 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:38:32 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry Bro
wrote:

I agree, yet...
I use powdered asbestos mixed with water. It doesn't pull away from
the silver, in fact it almost bonds with it, and doesn't pull away so
much.
And before everyone jumps all over my sh!t, no, I don't put the
asbestos into a paper sack and huff it.

I used to use a mashed up mess of furnace tape, back when it was asbestos based,
too. Kind of like a sloppy web paper mache mix. Like your mix, it keeps the
silver cool because the water content remains in contact. Easier to place, but
still not quite as good a heat sink as just plain water, simply based on the
total amount of water available to absorb the heat. Does have the advantage of
less spitting and sizzling than just a can of water. My comments on stuff that
doesn't work so well is quite specifically aimed at those paste like
concoctions, some in a jar, some actually in an aerosol can like cheeze wiz.
Easy to apply, easy to drop money on since they get listings in tool catalogs,
but not, overall, very useful. In addition to your asbestos powder or my old
furnace tape mash, people also have used cotton balls, a bunch of sopping tissue
paper, wet sand, or a commercial cotton like but fireproof fiber mat. All of
these can be used to hold a bunch of water in contact with the metal to keep it
cool where needed. All will work so long as the water remains there and in
contact with the metal.

Peter
Old February 23rd 09, 10:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

On Feb 10, 11:09=A0am, stacy c wrote:
I have a ring that I made in a size 7.25 for sale; =A0a buyer who is a
size 9 wants it.

The most I have ever stretched a ring is up to 1 full size, with a
roller stretcher. =A0The stone, which is already set, is very unique, so
this would be my preferred option, but I am afraid that stretching it
almost 2 sizes might be too much for the sterling silver.

Does anyone have any advice on stretching?

Am I going to have to pop the stone out and sleeve some more silver
into the band?

thanks,
-stacy

In general , I like Rio's Third hand. Used it for years.
It is a fibrous "clay" (no asbestos) that you sink the ring in.
It is reusable, just keep it wet. As has been mentioned, silver
conduct heat like no other metal. When you reshanking or sizing,
I have found it's hard to get closer than a 1/4 shank away from a
stone you're protecting with heat sink.
The best service to your customer is to remake ring in proper
size. I have stretched rings to two sizes(yes gold) but,
you must anneal every half size or so. Difficult when protecting
stone from heat.Hope that helps.
Old February 23rd 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Limpy[_2_]

In this here newsgroup called rec.crafts.jewelry on Sun, 22 Feb 2009
11:46:09 -0800 we all dun see'd a message a-written by Peter W. Rowe
which dun sed:

wrote:

I agree, yet...
I use powdered asbestos mixed with water. It doesn't pull away from
the silver, in fact it almost bonds with it, and doesn't pull away so
much.
And before everyone jumps all over my sh!t, no, I don't put the
asbestos into a paper sack and huff it.

I used to use a mashed up mess of furnace tape, back when it was asbesto=

s based,
too. Kind of like a sloppy web paper mache mix. Like your mix, it kee=

ps the
silver cool because the water content remains in contact. Easier to pla=

ce, but
still not quite as good a heat sink as just plain water, simply based on=

the
total amount of water available to absorb the heat.=20

Yes of course.
I mean I'm sure some smart person like you or Abracdabra could even
explain the physics that back up your assertions.=20

Does have the advantage of
less spitting and sizzling than just a can of water.=20

Yeah, it's the spitting, steam and sizzling that frosts my ass (no
pun).

My comments on stuff that
doesn't work so well is quite specifically aimed at those paste like
concoctions, some in a jar, some actually in an aerosol can like cheeze =

wiz.

Oh God! I HATE that cheese-wiz heat sink! When it gets low it starts
blowing bits of the wiz all over the desk. And I'd just bet real
Cheeze-Wiz=AE would do a better job of protecting ones stones (and would
have the added bonus of a quick stack between solders.)

advice for resizing palladium wedding band Bucky Jewelry 7 November 9th 07 06:15 AM
resizing mittens enigma Yarn 5 October 8th 06 04:12 PM
Resizing blocks Leanne Quilting 1 June 12th 06 11:02 PM
Valentine's Day Ring - 2ct. Diamond Ring [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 13th 05 02:51 PM
Looking for custom cut engagement ring, historical jewelry store, or experienced diamond ring designer in Ontario Jimmy Jewelry 2 April 29th 04 06:33 AM