Making crib bumpers

Old October 19th 11, 05:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle G.

Default Making crib bumpers

First of all, I realize they are recommending that we don't use crib bumpers
at all; but, my GD is 16 months old and her mom wants new bumper pads. I
think she's too old for bumpers but. . . Anyway, can anyone tell me what to
use as the padding for the bumper pads? I've tried thick batting and
quilting them, but, it's too soft. I would like to try some type of firm
foam, but don't know what to use or where to get it. Any ideas will be much
appreciated!
Thanks, Michelle

Old October 19th 11, 08:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_3_]

On 19/10/2011 05:56, Michelle G. wrote:
First of all, I realize they are recommending that we don't use crib
bumpers at all; but, my GD is 16 months old and her mom wants new bumper
pads. I think she's too old for bumpers but. . . Anyway, can anyone tell
me what to use as the padding for the bumper pads? I've tried thick
batting and quilting them, but, it's too soft. I would like to try some
type of firm foam, but don't know what to use or where to get it. Any
ideas will be much appreciated!
Thanks, Michelle

My son is 21 months old today, and he's not "too old" for them because
he rolls around in his sleep a lot, and when he bangs the cot bars, he
hits his head and wakes up crying. I had really thin crib bumpers on
for when it was summer and he was tiny (last year) because they are a
suffocation risk (however did I survive the 1970s?) but now I'm making
them super thick to act as a head-bonk-deterent. I'm using two layers
of thick polyester wadding because that's what I have in my sewing room.
I put a cute panel on the crib side, and white on the outside.
Quilting is easy on the machine - I wouldn't like to try it by hand!
Nice and thick and cosy.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 19th 11, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"Jo Gibson" On 19/10/2011 05:56, Michelle G. wrote:
[...]

Once a friend purchased bumpers and asked me to cover them in a material to
match up with her sheets and curtains. They turned out nice.
Barbara in FL

Old October 19th 11, 04:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I made them about 8 years ago. I think I used foam (about 1/2" thick)
wrapped in batting. Here's a not-so-good picture of the project in process.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...94495901FpJMIQ

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old October 19th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have seen these at Joann's:
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd636341

I haven't had particularly good luck with that nu-foam stuff but for bumpers
it might be perfect.
HTH,, Taria

Old October 19th 11, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 10/18/2011 11:56 PM, Michelle G. wrote:
First of all, I realize they are recommending that we don't use crib
bumpers at all; but, my GD is 16 months old and her mom wants new bumper
pads. I think she's too old for bumpers but. . . Anyway, can anyone tell
me what to use as the padding for the bumper pads? I've tried thick
batting and quilting them, but, it's too soft. I would like to try some
type of firm foam, but don't know what to use or where to get it. Any
ideas will be much appreciated!
Thanks, Michelle

I have used Poly-Fill Nu-Foam Baby Bumper Batting. I bought it at the
local Hancock Fabrics.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old October 20th 11, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle G.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think I'll go to Joann's and look at
their foam bumper pads.
Thanks again, Michelle G.

Old October 20th 11, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

Before you make crib bumpers, there's a new guideline out on
not using bumper pads in cribs... the increase the risk of suffocation,
strangulation and entrapment.

Story he http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-of-pediatrics
or
http://www.healthychildren.org/Engli...+local +token

Kay

Old October 20th 11, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I was thinking crib bumpers are dangerous too. It's probably time for those
little ones to climb out of their cribs and sleep with the cat on top of the
piano anyway. Our babies were busy little bodies and were eager to discover
the world. Polly

Old October 20th 11, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Please don't. My niece got caught in one and it took 4 of us to get her out.
She slid down the side of the crib and the bumper pad came down in front of
her face. My sis and I held her and the pad away from her face as the 2 DH's
worked to get her out. It was quite scary as we didn't hear her cries even
with a baby monitor. TG , we checked on her every 10 min as she had had a
cold then.

Needless to say, they got her a new crib and pitched the bumper pad..

Maybe more info than you needed but I'd rather you made her a quilt. Yes,
you may share this with the baby's mom.

Butterfly (off to read the rest of the replies)

very easy crib quilt Polly Esther Quilting 6 October 13th 07 11:05 AM
Bead Bumpers... Anna W. Beads 11 February 23rd 07 09:49 AM
Crib Sleeper Donna McIntosh Yarn 18 June 28th 06 01:33 PM
Crib Quilt Panels Sugarcookie Marketplace 0 February 27th 05 04:07 PM
Crib sheet pattern? Trish Brown Sewing 17 August 20th 04 02:27 AM