Dear Red States

Old November 25th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default OT college was OT Women's choices was Dear Red States

On Nov 24, 4:51 pm, Susan Hartman wrote:

I think we did find a happy medium for DD, who went to New College of
Florida. They had a great program that balanced research with real
quality teaching and mentoring relationships between faculty and
students. It's a gem of a school. Places like that do exist, but it
takes real searching.

A friend of mine from grad school teaches at the New College. She was
at UNC Chapel Hill, but was denied tenure for not having published
enough in spite of having a very well recieved book published by
Columbia University Press. She's much happier at New College.

Elizabeth
Old November 25th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 24, 3:42 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

After DS narrows it down to about 20, I'll talk to you...

There's a book called "Colleges that Change Lives" that's worth a
gander.

Elizabeth
Old November 25th 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

Susan Hartman wrote:

I think we did find a happy medium for DD, who went to New College of
Florida. They had a great program that balanced research with real
quality teaching and mentoring relationships between faculty and
students. It's a gem of a school. Places like that do exist, but it
takes real searching.

If you want a personal relationship with the profs, focus on the smaller
schools.

And, as a parent paying the tuition, you'll be happier than I was as a
student with the notion that when there are only a dozen or so students
in a class, it's pretty darn difficult to get away with either cutting
class or not doing your homework. My friends at State with a couple
hundred in a class got away with it a lot easier than I did.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

"On his tombstone, Benjamin Franklin wanted it said not that he had been
rich
but rather that he had been useful."

Finished 10/7/08 - Sun Fun (Dimensions)

WIP: Nativity from "Countdown to Christmas" book, Oriental Kimono
(Janlynn),
MLI The Teacher (gift to the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://cfs-facts.blogspot.com/
Old November 25th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Karen C in California wrote:

If you want a personal relationship with the profs, focus on the smaller
schools.

It's not just size...it's also philosophy.

sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old December 4th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Marianne T.

Default Dear Red States

I agree. I don't care if she wrote it or not, it is offensive to those in
red or blue states and she shouldn't have posted it.

This and she (and a few others) is why I don't read this group often. I
would read this more often if the subjects were stitching related instead of
posts that are intended to offend people.

Why don't we try to keep our posts related to stitching and kind in nature.
There is enough hate in this world that we don't need posts whether "it's
satire/humor" or not. Go to a satirical group and post this trash there.

Once again, I will return to lurking and seldom read this group.

Sorry to those of you who are offended by this post.

Marianne

"lewmew" wrote in message

Karen didn't write the piece she posted; it's satire/humour that's been
circulating the Web since the 2004 Presidential election.

I don't care - I still find it extremely offensive.

Linda

Old December 4th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruby

Default Topics fit for RCTN was Dear Red States

"lewmew" wrote in message
Karen didn't write the piece she posted; it's satire/humour that's been
circulating the Web since the 2004 Presidential election.

I don't care - I still find it extremely offensive.

Linda

I agree with the kind part but I find it interesting to discuss non
needlework related topics as well. Often i find them
interesting,informative and some entertaining. So if post are marked OT
well people can skip them.
My only beef is that the headers don't often get changed when it rambles
into a new topic.
Ruby

OT - Dear Dad Elly[_2_] Quilting 4 February 9th 08 06:37 AM
OT Dear all . . . CATS Quilting 5 September 13th 07 05:08 PM
A little OT Finished something - but oh dear! Cats Quilting 29 January 30th 07 04:39 AM
Oh Dear! KJ Quilting 13 January 31st 05 03:59 PM
OT - Dear Mom LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 8 April 25th 04 02:10 AM