Gimp

Old November 22nd 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Rich[_2_]

Default Gimp

I've got a container filled with "heavy silvered gimp".

What is gimp? What is it used for? TIA.
Old November 22nd 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Don T

"Rich" wrote in message
I've got a container filled with "heavy silvered gimp".

What is gimp? What is it used for? TIA.

Open the bleedin' container and LOOK. Once you have LOOKED at the stuff use
your imagination and find a use for it. Or not.

--

Don Thompson

Stolen from Dan: "Just thinking, besides, I watched 2 dogs mating once,
and that makes me an expert. "

There is nothing more frightening than active ignorance.
~Goethe

It is a worthy thing to fight for one's freedom;
it is another sight finer to fight for another man's.
~Mark Twain

Old November 22nd 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:27:29 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Rich"
wrote:

I've got a container filled with "heavy silvered gimp".

What is gimp? What is it used for? TIA.

Last I heard (like maybe 40 years ago) Gimp was a sort of fake leather lacing or
cord, somewhat flat or oval in cross section. Not sure just what plastic it's
made of. But available in about all the same colors and finishes as any other
form of vinyl, including metalized. Often found in kids crafts projects. Can
be braided into lanyards, keychain fobs that would be useless from a store but
become priceless when crafted by one's kid, or used to lace bits of fake leather
(or cheap real leather) into not so great coin purses and wallets at summer day
camp. No doubt there are other more serious uses for the stuff, but that
crafty stuff to keep kids busy is what I recall. That assumes my memory of
"gimp" is the same material you've got. There may be other meanings of the term
for all I know.

Peter
Old November 23rd 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Rich[_2_]

wrote:

I've got a container filled with "heavy silvered gimp".

What is gimp? What is it used for? TIA.

Last I heard (like maybe 40 years ago) Gimp was a sort of fake leather
lacing or...

(snip)
Peter

This gimp is fine wire in a coil about 1.5mm diameter and 12mm long.

Old November 23rd 08, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:11:05 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Rich"
wrote:

This gimp is fine wire in a coil about 1.5mm diameter and 12mm long.

Amost sounds like a somewhat larger version of the "french wire" used in bead
and pearl stringing. That's also a coil of very fine wire, though usually a bit
less in diameter than what you've got. Used to reinforce the thread used for
stringing pearls where it ties around a clasp so the clasp doesn't wear through
it. You thread a small length of the coil onto your thread so when looped
through the metal loop or jump ring on the clasp, and then tied off back to the
thread, etc, what results is a loop of what looks like the metal coil through
the clasp, rather than the stringing thread, which runs inside it.

Wikipedia also mentions a meaning for "gimp" as a form of ornamental thread,
which can be metalized, used in embroidery, lace, or other ornamental sewing
methods as a heavier or ornamental edging. Doesn't say it's a coil, though.
Still, perhaps this stuff was intended for some use like that...

Where'd you get this stuff? Any idea where it comes from or was made? That
might give a clue too. And is it just that single short 12mm length, or do you
have a lot of these pieces? Makes a difference as to how much trouble it's
worth researching it...

Peter
Old November 23rd 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Rich[_2_]

wrote:

This gimp is fine wire in a coil about 1.5mm diameter and 12mm long.

Amost sounds like a somewhat larger version of the "french wire" used
in bead
and pearl stringing. That's also a coil of very fine wire, though
usually a bit
less in diameter than what you've got. .....

(snip)
Peter

It comes from dad's stuff. He was a watch repairer, but did the odd bit
of jewellery mending. It's made by REGAL in the UK.

There's about 1 gross of those lengths.

I think it's what you said in your first paragraph. It's to be used in
stringing, it's ornimental thread used in the jewellery trade.

Old November 24th 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
helen

wrote:

This gimp is fine wire in a coil about 1.5mm diameter and 12mm long.

Amost sounds like a somewhat larger version of the "french wire" used
in bead and pearl stringing. That's also a coil of very fine wire, though
usually a bit less in diameter than what you've got. .....

(snip)
Peter

It comes from dad's stuff. He was a watch repairer, but did the odd bit
of jewellery mending. It's made by REGAL in the UK.

There's about 1 gross of those lengths.

I think it's what you said in your first paragraph. It's to be used in
stringing, it's ornimental thread used in the jewellery trade.

It is indeed the stuff used in stringing pearls, etc. It protects the
silk as it goes through a jump ring or part of the clasp, before the
silk returns back through the first few pearls/beads to be tied off.
It is finely coiled wire.

Helen Hill
Old November 25th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
minkiemink

On Nov 23, 10:53 pm, helen wrote:
On Nov 23, 6:26 pm, "Rich" wrote: "Peter W.. Rowe,"

wrote:

This gimp is fine wire in a coil about 1.5mm diameter and 12mm long.
Amost sounds like a somewhat larger version of the "french wire" used
in bead and pearl stringing. That's also a coil of very fine wire, though
usually a bit less in diameter than what you've got. .....

(snip)
Peter

It comes from dad's stuff. He was a watch repairer, but did the odd bit
of jewellery mending. It's made by REGAL in the UK.

There's about 1 gross of those lengths.

I think it's what you said in your first paragraph. It's to be used in
stringing, it's ornamental thread used in the jewellery trade.

It is indeed the stuff used in stringing pearls, etc. It protects the
silk as it goes through a jump ring or part of the clasp, before the
silk returns back through the first few pearls/beads to be tied off.
It is finely coiled wire.

Helen Hill

It is also called "French Bullion" or just "bullion".

Lisa

OT Challenges of being a gimp- long and ridiculous! Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 19 June 15th 07 11:30 PM
finding gimp stores LILMAE55 Knots 1 May 31st 04 08:28 AM
how do i start the gimp Kesa921 Knots 2 May 13th 04 12:21 PM
Plastic Gimp Lacing? Otsinekwar Knots 3 February 5th 04 03:01 AM
Where do you buy your gimp/lanyard? Tigger Lily73316 Knots 1 July 29th 03 11:58 PM