Recycled Paper Beads

Old September 8th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Noj

Default Recycled Paper Beads

Hello...

I am interested in making beads out of recycled paper. I am clear
on the process up to the polishing.
For Information..... The simplified process is :

Boil recycled paper, drain, add glue, form beads, let dry, polish, use
for crafts.

I guess my question is.... what would be the quickest, easiest way to
polish these beads?

Could I use a rock tumbler minus the water?

How about a dremel with a polishing wheel?

I'm open to your suggestions.... There will be an 11 yr. old involved
so the simpler, the better.

Thanks....
Old September 8th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:34:56 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Noj
wrote:

Hello...

I am interested in making beads out of recycled paper. I am clear
on the process up to the polishing.
For Information..... The simplified process is :

Boil recycled paper, drain, add glue, form beads, let dry, polish, use
for crafts.

I guess my question is.... what would be the quickest, easiest way to
polish these beads?

Could I use a rock tumbler minus the water?

How about a dremel with a polishing wheel?

I'm open to your suggestions.... There will be an 11 yr. old involved
so the simpler, the better.

Thanks....

If this is a process with some tradition or something behind it (as in, other
people are doing this and you wish to do the same), then you're likely to get
more answers if you ask this on the rec.crafts.beads newsgroup rather than this
one, which is more tuned to traditional jewelry making, such as in silver or
gold and gems, etc.

With that said, My first reaction is that materials like that are not likely to
be really ameniable to traditional buffing or polishing. Too soft, I'd think,
though this might depend on the type of glue used. Tumbling of some sort would
be good if you need to smooth off high spots and bumps and the like, but I'm not
sure what you could tumble it with, especially dry, that would actually shine
it. Maybe some sort of wax might do that, but might also not be so
permanent...

So I'd think you get a polished look by changing the word "polish" to "seal".
I'm thinking you'd get good results simply dipping the beads in clear lacquer or
shellac or urathane varnish of some sort, and letting it dry. If you use a
gloss drying lacquer or whatever, the results should be a glossy bead. Might
need two or more dips to increase the "depth" of the shine, especially if the
beads start out pretty porous.

For opaque colored beads, use a gloss finish paint. Other types of paint (such
as automotive metallic types) could also be used. Some of these materials,
including the ladquers, DO require decent ventillation to use, especially with
children.

hope that helps.

Peter
Old September 10th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Indigo Ace

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:34:56 -0700, Noj wrote:

Hello...

I am interested in making beads out of recycled paper. I am clear
on the process up to the polishing.
For Information..... The simplified process is :

Boil recycled paper, drain, add glue, form beads, let dry, polish, use
for crafts.

I guess my question is.... what would be the quickest, easiest way to
polish these beads?

Could I use a rock tumbler minus the water?

How about a dremel with a polishing wheel?

I'm open to your suggestions.... There will be an 11 yr. old involved
so the simpler, the better.

Thanks....

There are dry polishing methods you can use with a rock tumbler. I'm
not experienced enough to help you, but the folks at the Rock Tumbling
Hobby board are a knowledgeable (and friendly) crew.

http://andy321.proboards48.com/