Favorite hoop sizes?

Old October 11th 05, 03:03 PM
Taria

YOu are so smart Pat. That is a great suggestion. Yep, the 24" is
nice to stitch on but with cats supervising and such it seems cumbersome
sometimes. I have a coupon, maybe I'll be able to find an 18" hoop.
Thanks, Taria

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Taria: Go buy a 18" hoop with out stand, and practice with that. You can
prop it against a table edge to approximate the stand hoop. Perhaps you
can take a project to the store and try out some of their hoops. I have
a 24" on stand and in some situations it is a tad too big.
PAT in VA/USA

Taria wrote:

Thanks Sandy. I called to ask about ordering the
18" and they surprised my and offered a 14" also.
It seems the 14 would be kind of small for a floor
hoop so I am leaning to the 18". It is kind of
pricey so I want to be sure. DH says buy it and
don't worry about it but my thrifty nature has hold
of me.
Taria

Old October 11th 05, 06:51 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I haven't worn out any hoops, so far.
I've given away a couple that didn't work for me;
one was too large, the other too heavy. The beautiful
Jasmine hoop I bought a couple of years ago is part
of the "collection" now; the wood is really a work of art,
but that metal screw attached to the side is just too heavy
to hold for long. When I find another 12" hoop
that resembles my favorite, I buy it; my favorite hoop
has picked up some color from dark fabrics; I use hoop #2,
newer and not discolored, for lighter color quilts.

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy
"Taria" wrote in message
Thanks Sandy, I remember that is your favorite.
Do you ever wear them out or does one last your
forever? My favorite carry around 'just hoop'
is an oval around 14" wide by maybe 12". I
don't hand quilt anything like the amount of
work you do.
Taria

Ellison wrote:

Howdy!
12" round; no stand.

Ragmop/Sandy

"Taria" wrote in message

I have a Grace Hoop with floor stand that is 24".
I am thinking a smaller one might be easier to maneuver.
They are sort of rounded square shaped. I can get an 18"
or 14" but don't know which I might find easier to use.
Anyone have some suggestions or comments about their
favorite quilting hoops?
TIA, Taria

Old October 12th 05, 07:56 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sandy:
What do you mean about the screw being too heavy to hold for
long? Do you man that it chews away some of the hoop when you
turn it? That makes the bolt loose the grip. I had a nice hoop
get weird that way. DH solved problem by adding some sort of
washer thingie to prevent the slipping. That was ages ago and the
hoop still works nicely. I will show him the hoop and ask exactly
what that gizmo is. Will report back in a day or two.
PAT in VA/USA

Old October 12th 05, 09:03 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
The metal screw/bolt & the large piece of wood on that
part of the hoop are heavy, too much weight for *my hand*
to hold up for long; makes it ungainly, too,
as the hoop wants to tip to that side.
http://www.jasmineheirlooms.com/hoopstands.htm
see the Plain Hoops in the middle of the page, nested together;
note that big bolt screwed into those 2 chunks of wood--
"That's really heavy, man." g
Looks like all their hoops have that big bolt; beautiful maple, tho'.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old October 13th 05, 01:12 PM
Pat in Virginia

Sandy,
Ah, a hoop de do of a different type! Yes, I can see where that
would be heavy and tiring.
Pat

Old October 13th 05, 03:25 PM
Taria

I have the Grace hoop2 and there is a part that has broken twice.
It is in the same area as your problem but since it is poly it just
breaks. I have called both times and they sent me a new one for free.
Not even a shipping charge. They said it should not break and they
stand behind it. I was pretty impressed with that. Maybe the
HInterberg folks would help you? Worth a phone call.
What size is your hoop? WOuld you like it to be any larger or smaller?
Taria

kratersge wrote:
I use a pedastal hoop, really big, from Hinterberg. I *am* wearing it
out. It spins around 360 degrees, and tilts, and height adjusts. I
really like it, but..

the long screw that goes down into a wood block at the center wears
away at the wood, eventually it gets so loose that the hoop "falls off"
of the pedestal when I set it vertically when I get out. I've been
able to give it a new patch up by sticking wooden toothpicks down the
hole to make the screw "tight" again; but after a few months (about
once per bed quilt) I have to re-do it.

Old October 18th 05, 09:00 PM
kratersge

Default Favorite hoop sizes?

mine is bigger even than 24" I think.

I like it that way. I don't like quilting close to the edges because I
think the sandwich gets distorted. If I had just a 14" hoop I'd only
be comfortable quilting about an 8" span.

Since mine spins completely around, I can go all the way across it
without moving the quilt...of course, it's made easier now than ever
because since I've started using my thumb to quilt in all the "away
from me" angles.

susan kraterfield
see my quilts: http://members.cox.net/kratersge/

Favorite Knitting Books?? DVR Yarn 12 June 28th 04 12:40 AM
MOST POPULAR STEEL HOOK SIZES? DEBORAH DOYLE Yarn 1 April 29th 04 03:37 AM
MOST COMMON STEEL HOOK SIZES DEBORAH DOYLE Needlework 2 April 28th 04 07:42 PM
ROSEWOOD CROCHET HOOKS - SIZES F THRU S DEBORAH DOYLE Marketplace 0 April 28th 04 05:47 PM
OT Diaries!! Gillian Murray Needlework 2 December 24th 03 05:37 PM