Platinum over Sterling Silver

Old November 13th 03, 05:22 PM
bizenya

Default Platinum over Sterling Silver

Hi

Can anyone give me any info on how well this combination works in terms of
aesthetics, and hardness?
Is the platinum likely to come off (rings and other such jewellery) in constant
wear,
and if so are we talking months? years?

Also, does the platinum plating have the look of real platinum, or is it even
duller?

I've been told that Rhodium is the most hardwearing, and most light reflective
of the
platinum metals, when used in plating, but I doubt many jewellers use/can use
this
method.

Thanks in advance.
--
biz
....In a world without Walls and Fences,

Old November 14th 03, 03:04 AM
NE333RO

I've been told that Rhodium is the most hardwearing, and most light
reflective
of the
platinum metals, when used in plating, but I doubt many jewellers use/can use
this
method.

To tell you the truth I've never plated with platinum or heard of it being
done. I assume you can, but I'm not sure why you'd want to, with Rhodium being
so easy to use and available. Most of us can/do use Rhodium when we plate. A
fair amount of Sterling comes pre-plated with Rhodium to prevent (short term)
tarnishing. If you are trying to get sterling plated you may have your work cut
out for you because of contamination issues with the bath and cost. Why are you
asking the question?

Old November 14th 03, 04:29 PM
wad

I am just asking - how expensive is rhodium and how durable is it?

Thanks
Old November 15th 03, 06:31 PM
NE333RO

I am just asking - how expensive is rhodium and how durable is it?

Last I bought Rhoduim I think it was $90 or so for a solution containing 1
gram of Rhodium. Price can vary depending on metal costs. How durable it is
depends greatly on whose wearing it. In high wear places on the ring, it will
wear off. In no wear places it won't.
Old November 19th 03, 05:35 AM
Ned Flanders

"bizenya" wrote in message
. ..
Hi

Can anyone give me any info on how well this combination works in terms of
aesthetics, and hardness?
Is the platinum likely to come off (rings and other such jewellery) in constant
wear,
and if so are we talking months? years?

Also, does the platinum plating have the look of real platinum, or is it even
duller?

I've been told that Rhodium is the most hardwearing, and most light reflective
of the
platinum metals, when used in plating, but I doubt many jewellers use/can use
this
method.

Thanks in advance.

Watching television shopping channels will provide a great education
of middle and low end jewelry. Silver plated with platinum is
beginning to be common. Purchase an example ...

Cheers,

Ned

Pearls and Sterling Silver?? Empress Beads Beads 8 October 22nd 04 05:53 PM
Sterling Silver Bead Sonia Beads 1 March 22nd 04 10:18 PM
silverplated and sterling silver Audrey Beads 2 March 22nd 04 04:30 PM
Makers mark - Sterling silver Dave Ryman Jewelry 1 October 20th 03 04:15 PM
Help! I ruined my sterling silver letter beads in jewelry cleaner! Julie Minkin Beads 3 August 4th 03 07:29 PM