Duck Tape "dress" Form

Old April 24th 10, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
DogHerder

Default Duck Tape "dress" Form

Hello Everyone,

I'm a bit sheepish to ask this question now that I've visited several
of your sites & photo places!

Ah well, here goes: How can I sew a cap or something over the arm &
neck holes and arse opening on an improvised body form so that I can
successfully stuff it with sawdust?

We foster senior Cairn Terriers for a rescue. Our newest fellow,
Duffy, has a hand-sized patch of alopecia (lost hair) on his back at
his shoulders. The rest of his fur hasn't grown back yet from a
shaving, so we need to protect that area from the sun; also I wanted
to make him a few belly bands. Hence, the "dress" form.

So! I made arm cut-outs from a longsleeve jersey shirtsleeve. Pulled
it over his head. Then, proceeded to put 8-10" strips of plain ol'
duct tape over the jersey material. Made line up marks over the body,
and cut it off him horizontally. (For a moment there, he looked like a
Space Dog.) The cuff of the shirtsleeve can either be a turtleneck
measurement for the dog garment or where the cap would go to keep in
the sawdust.

Pics are available, but I'd need to know where the best place is to
make a picture sharing account.

Thank you!
JoAnn

Old April 24th 10, 08:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Samantha Hill

Don't know why you would need to stuff the body with sawdust as opposed
to cutting it apart to make the pattern you need, although I give you
great props for getting a dog to stand still long enough to cover
him/her with duct tape, but as an alternative suggestion, did you know
that Birch Street Patterns has a custom sweater drafting kit that would
give you a pattern?

http://www.birchstreetclothing.com/p...D=187&colID=13

Old April 24th 10, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:12:54 -0700 (PDT), DogHerder
wrote:

I'm a bit sheepish to ask this question now that I've visited several
of your sites & photo places!

Ah well, here goes: How can I sew a cap or something over the arm &
neck holes and arse opening on an improvised body form so that I can
successfully stuff it with sawdust?

Sawdust is probably a bit too heavy for this... duct tape stretches and deforms
some when stuffed, ime. Nevertheless, consider cutting a couple of cardboard
shapes of the shape of the opening and using those to stop up the opening.
Try to get the corrugations of the cardboard "stoppers" at 90 degrees to each
other for best strength.

You may also want to try Kathleen Fasanella's "saran wrap sloper" method.
Basically you wrap the dog in plastic kitchen wrap, cut the wrap off like
you did your duct tape, and you now have your flat pattern, once you've cut
some slashes that will become darts.

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...aking_method_1
http://www.fashion-incubator.com/arc...aking_method_2

If you're going to do a "duct tape double", the tape that works best,imo, is
the self-stick kraft paper packaging tape. Duct tape stretches, sags in
the heat, and you can't pin into it.

Oh, and I like picturetrail.com for photos.

Sometime I might tell the story of how I came to spend finals week knitting
a sweater for a shaved cat...

Kay

Old November 20th 11, 02:29 PM
Sam Jobs Sam Jobs is offline
Junior Member

wow such a nice and good thread being continue here,,as well as also you are providing good info,,and i will must say its just due to yours all the efforts and hard work which can be seen here..good work,,good luck..