OT Still chugging along here

Old November 7th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Still chugging along here

Still have a hole in my belly, and I'm not up to jumping jacks yet, but I
am still here and plugging along.

Had a doctor's appointment last Tuesday. The main Doctor was out of the
country so I saw one of the doctors under him.
Since I asked she gave a list of the drugs they want to give me during
chemo. I don't know if that list will hold since one of the drugs is on
the shortage list. Nasty business all of them, no wonder they want me
inpatient when they give them to me. Looking the drugs up has also told
me that I need to make an appointment with a dentist. There are all
sorts of problems that could come with the immune system being depressed
and blood thinning, and since I have a broken tooth ( yes that very same
one that I mentioned half an aeon ago) any number of troubles could
arise. Plus obviously I haven't been to a proper dentist in a very long
time, so heaven only knows whats going on in there.
The doctor also gave me a pamphlet on ovarian cancer with the kind I had
highlighted, and the cell type written next to that. For anyone
interested I had a sex cord - stromal tumor and it was a granulosa cell
type. That means it was inside the ovary and one of the kinds that is
solid right through. Apparently they grow fast and big, but do not
spread so readily as other kinds.
After all this good doctor stuff the doctor then had a brain fart leading
to a bad doctor moment. She told the nurse I needed a dry dressing
instead of a wet one, and then compounded the error by deciding that it
would facilitate drainage to leave it after it was pointed out. By the
time I got home it felt like somebody had been pounding my belly with a
meat tenderizing mallet. By the by, expansion joints on highways are evil
things! ow. When I got home we changed the dressing for the correct
sort, but it has taken me the better part of the week to recover from the
irritation of having the wrong sort of dressing.

DH is pleased because as he puts it I am "not eating enough to keep a
bird alive, (I am) eating enough to keep at least a pie's worth of birds
alive." which is an improvement.
He does fuss so about keeping us all fed up here. -said fondly

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old November 8th 11, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

((((( NM )))) Hugs to you and your DH, who obviously is the best sort to have through the 'sickness' part of that whole ...thrusicknessandhealth.... thing. A rap on the head for your doctor, for being unable to correct her own brain fart.

I know it's good to be informed about your medical care, and good to deal with the whole dental thing. (don't ask me about mine, I'm hiding from the evil dentist right now) But reading about meds can be terrifying and disheartening and can lead to bad things like squinchy butt cheeks and rapid heart rate and worrying about things before they happen, if they ever do which sometimes they don't.

That's my way of saying I love you much and want you to be well and not have to go through nasty treatments. But I"m glad there are nasty treatments for when we need them. Just know you're in my prayers and good thoughts and everything else.

Hugs,
Sunny
Old November 8th 11, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

WoodsonOn Mon, 07 Nov 2011 21:41:57 +0000, NightMist wrote:

[...]

Glad to have the update, and esp. glad that you're back home and in
DH's good hands.

-Irene
Old November 8th 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
oldhag[_3_]

On 11/7/2011 6:05 PM, IMS wrote:
WoodsonOn Mon, 07 Nov 2011 21:41:57 +0000, wrote:

DH is pleased because as he puts it I am "not eating enough to keep a
bird alive, (I am) eating enough to keep at least a pie's worth of birds
alive." which is an improvement.
He does fuss so about keeping us all fed up here.-said fondly

NightMist

Now is the time to boost your nutritional status before you commence
chemo. It will make a big difference on how you tolerate the chemo and
the side effects. Protein, calcium, potassium and iron rich foods are at
the top of the 'do over' list from my son. He had to have his chemo
stopped and a large part of it was due to his poor nutritional status
before he commenced his chemo.DS is now in his 5 th week of hospital
life and things are beginning to turn around for him so that they may
consider chemo again. Smoothies and shakes made with carnation instant
breakfast can help with the calorie and nutritional status. Increasing
your caloric intake with extra protein will also help you to heal
faster. Depending on the drug combo they decide to give you, they may
want your wound to be healed first as chemo will delay the healing
abilities of your body.
Take care,
Donna inNWONtario