Mystery Bag Revealed.

Old September 1st 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Mystery Bag Revealed.

Ok. So it really isn't a mystery. But it might have been a mystery,
if I could have completed it as one. Let me explain. This Large,
Shoulder Tote/Weekender bag, started out to be a Back Pack of the
Bergen Rucksack type. I bought a bunch of heavy weight cotton canvas
for the structural foundation of the bag and started out. I did the
outside quilted pattern and then quilted it to the canvas inner liner,
along with a high loft wool batting, (nice stuff that). Then I started
to assemble it into the semblance of a rucksack. By the time I got
about 3/4 of the way through assembly, I was having difficulty passing
the elements through the pressure foot of my Bernina treadle. There
were, at times 6 layers of heavy cotton canvas along with the batting
and outside quilted piece. I realized I would have to have a larger
height pressure foot to complete the rucksack, so in a flash of
brilliance, (desperation), I converted the whole thing to a Large
Shoulder Tote/ Weekender bag, and said finished. It is probably a good
thing that this happened, as if I had finished the rucksack, I would
have probably had to make a "Dirndl" for Lois to wear, so she could
sing "Edelweiss", and do the whole thing properly. That was a visual I
didn't need to visit, so as I say, it was a good thing I didn't
complete the rucksack. The Weekender description was given by Lois,
and I think it is a good one. It will swallow a large amount of stuff,
which should suffice for an overnight getaway. Anyway, it is what it
is, and here it is. This is the final one of this series, as I am
bored to death doing any more of these things. I have a couple of
different items I am working out the particulars of, so I am not done
with these objects just yet. But no more of this pattern for now.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...44712975791282

John
Old September 1st 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

That IS smart. Looks lovely.

It would also make a great 'dump Bag' for carrying a hand quilty
project around.

You are rightly proud, and I don't blame you one bit for deciding to
do something else, now. I made a bag of similar stuff and I love it
to bits, but boy! was it a pig to sew! And I kept adding bits, and
then decided to do pockets that disappeared into the fabric. Next!

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old September 2nd 10, 05:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

I love it! As usual.

Claudia

Old September 2nd 10, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Looks great! And I bet Lois would look good in a dirndl -it flatters
most women.
Roberta in D, where Oktoberfest is coming up fast!

Old September 2nd 10, 12:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

wrote:
[...]

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...erest#55120447...

John

It wasn't the effects of the Dirndl, that I was worried about, but the
singing of Edelweiss, while wearing the Dirndl. You have never heard
her sing. Truly an occasion to be missed, as is my doing the same. Not
the Wearing of the Dirndl, which would be mildly entertaining, but the
singing.

John
Old September 2nd 10, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Not to worry, nobody here in Munich would dream of singing *anything*
from Sound of Music, which was pretty much a teetotaller film ;-)
Roberta in D

Old September 3rd 10, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
simpleseven

On Sep 1, 1:58*pm, John wrote:
[...]

Awesome job like always! You paint a great picture with your
stories...love them. I had to laugh about the singing....that about
sums it up for me too!

Launie, in Oregon
Old September 3rd 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 3, 9:24*am, simpleseven wrote:
On Sep 1, 1:58*pm, John wrote:

[...]

Lois took great umbrage with the bit about her singing. I think she is
in denial. I am more open about that failing, in myself, and have no
pride left to loose. I think it is why I didn't pursue a career as a
singer in those folk/bluegrass groups I played with in the 60's. It
was always a case of being in the background and playing an
instrument, or being asked to not let the door hit me in the rear as I
was leaving.
John
Old September 3rd 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

You are a hoot, John!
But I love the bags! The new drawstring one is fabulous!

amy in CNY (but only for 34 more days-Woot!)

and who can't sing either....
Old September 4th 10, 05:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 1, 3:58*pm, John wrote:
[...]

Wow. I love it.

Sherry