half square triangle ?

Old July 11th 05, 04:30 PM
DQLTS

Default half square triangle ?

basically I have
two 3 3/8 squares sewn together then
split them through the middle to make a half square triangle unit
What should the measurement be of the new half square triangle?

the pattern directions omit this measurement.

Diana in Dallas
(not thinking very straight this morning)

Old July 11th 05, 05:35 PM
Jalynne

should be 2.5", if i do my calculations correctly.

--
Jenn/Jalynne
navy Wife, homeschooling mom, 1st soprano in Tacoma Symphony Chorus
Old July 11th 05, 05:35 PM
Kathryn Walker

That should be a 2.5 in. finished I believe.

Kathryn in Mi

Old July 11th 05, 05:43 PM
DQLTS

jalynne
that is what I keep getting but then the pattern goes
on to say join the 2 inch strip to the now finished half
square triangle units.This is where I get confused
shouldn't the strips be 2.5 if the hst are 2.5

Diana in dallas

Old July 11th 05, 06:18 PM
DQLTS

Jalynne
the pattern is "The shining Star" by Debbie Maddy
it was on simply quilts about two weeks ago. I printed
out the pattern from HGTV site and also have the show
on my TIVO. I just have not trimmed the HSTs.
This quilt will be for my parents 50th wedding anniv
if I can get it done for the celebration in October.

Diana in Dallas

Old July 11th 05, 07:51 PM
nzlstar*

iirc....
when you make HST, you cut the starting sqs 7/8" bigger than the block
will finish when sewn into the quilt.

start with 2 7/8" for a 2" finished
start with 3 7/8" for a 3" finished

start with 3 3/8" for a 2.5" finished.
this one will be 3" when made but before its sewn into the quilt.

that 2" strip is bordering round the HST in shining star quilt pattern
as i read it.
so just cut it to match the length of HST after they are all sewn to
one another.

gorgeous layout by the way, they will love it.
good luck and dont forget pix for us voyeurs on rctq.
jeanne

Old July 12th 05, 03:23 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
Ask her (she's over in Graham, Texas, west of Ft.Worth):
http://www.calicocarriage.com/default.htm

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old July 12th 05, 04:36 PM
Valerie in FL

The only reference I see to 2" strips is referring to the border.

--
Valerie in FL
My quilts: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

DQLTS wrote:

basically I have
two 3 3/8 squares sewn together then
split them through the middle to make a half square triangle unit
What should the measurement be of the new half square triangle?

the pattern directions omit this measurement.

Diana in Dallas
(not thinking very straight this morning)

--
Jenn/Jalynne
navy Wife, homeschooling mom, 1st soprano in Tacoma Symphony Chorus
beads, scrapbooks, quilts, cross stitch, and other obsessions
http://100megsfree4.com/jalynne/

--
Jenn/Jalynne
navy Wife, homeschooling mom, 1st soprano in Tacoma Symphony Chorus
beads, scrapbooks, quilts, cross stitch, and other obsessions
http://100megsfree4.com/jalynne/

black and white square in a square Brian Christiansen Quilting 3 June 22nd 04 07:59 AM
A newbie Square idea Cher Yarn 9 September 29th 03 02:12 PM
for Merry--kladiascope triangle template Kathy in CA Quilting 2 September 26th 03 03:59 PM
Afghan square patterns Sarah Carter Yarn 4 September 6th 03 10:45 PM
afghan square Laura Yarn 3 August 15th 03 01:14 PM