Sorting Stash

Old October 23rd 03, 01:52 AM
frood

Default Sorting Stash

Instead of being hidden in another thread, let's pull this topic out and see
what happens!

How do you sort your stash? By color? By style? By size? By date acquired?

I sort by color and size. Sort of. The majority of my stash is pieces less
than a yard big, mainly FQs. Those are sorted color into plastic bins. I
have 4 large bins, and the rest are slightly bigger than shoebox size (but
can hold a lot!). The large bins are about the same as 2 small bins, maybe a
little more. Pink and red share a large bin; green and blue; yellow and
orange; and purple shares with those multi-color ones that don't fit
anywhere else. Blacks, browns, creams, whites are spread higgledy piggledy
in 2 bins, mixed in with some African fabrics. I should re-sort these, but
that's pretty low on my priority list right now! However, outside of this
basic color sorting are special categories. Civil War repros are in their
own bin, as are Asian fabrics, Christmas, Halloween and a bunch of
"celestial" ones.

The larger than 1 yard pieces are not sorted, but are in a seperate
cupboard. When I need a big piece, I just go rootle through.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old October 23rd 03, 01:56 AM
Jan Dunaway

My stash is sorted by size. Large old dresser... smaller pieces top and
graduating down to the yardage pieces in bottom drawer and jeans stored
in various places around the house.

Jan

Old October 23rd 03, 02:20 AM
Taria

My stash is sorted by color for the most part with the
exception of longer lengths. Those are in separate bins.
I have on large bin of novelties and one of holiday.
Vintage are in another.
The ufo's I try to keep in their own individual bins.
Yes, I have ufo's. If you do a stash raid here you
have to take the ufo's and the dog before the fabric.
I have boxes of jeans and denim I left at the old house.
That stuff multiplies!
Taria

Old October 23rd 03, 02:46 AM
KCK

"frood" ...
How do you sort your stash? By color? By style? By size? By date

acquired?

Some of the above and it continually varies as I use it and add more.

I have a small stash of fabric that lives on six little 12" deep shelves
above my work area. I fold everything, including yardage, so that a
stack ends up about the size of a shoebox. I estimate I could stuff it
all into about 25 shoe boxes and probably 15 of them would be just
plaids.

Currently...

Plaids: short stack of very light plaids (that's my particular "hard to
find" item);
one stack of B&W; two stacks of plaids larger than a yard; and the
others are roughly sorted by value or color, but they never stay put.
With everything easy to spot at eye level, I don't worry about keeping
them too sorted.

Solids are sorted by fabric style and not by color: several stacks of
hand dyed solids, segregating those that have not yet been pre-treated
with Retayne or Synthrapol. One stack of flannel solids; and short stack
of "regular" solids.

Only one stack of novelty prints and only one stack of "regular" prints,
but that will change next week. ;-) Also, I plan to start collecting a
stack or two of dog prints (beginning in Houston this year).

--

KCK ( in Texas)
Take out the DOG before sending email

Website: http://kckintz.home.att.net/

Old October 23rd 03, 03:24 AM
Shona in NZ

I don't have enough to worry about sorting it.

If I did though, I would probably do it by colour with a little tag saying
what size it was.

Shona enjoying a brilliant spring day here in NZ

Old October 23rd 03, 03:57 AM
CNYstitcher

Primarily by color...however...............

the quilt fabrics are completely separate from the clothing fabrics, and
the novelty/kid prints are separate from everything else

Larisa, who is the only person that can figure out where anything is

Old October 23rd 03, 04:13 AM
Laura Bartl

Hmm, I guess I'm weird, but I already knew that. I have one area with
randoms, stuff I pick up because I like it. That stuff is labelled with the
amount. I have another drawer with Christmas fabrics only. And a third
drawer with kit stuff. Those are the main areas, then there is stuff
stashed all over in other drawers. I will need Polly's help one of these
days when I'm actually looking for something I can't find. (Right now all I
can't find is time to quilt!!!)

--
Laura Bartl
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/laurabartl/index.htm

Old October 23rd 03, 04:40 AM
Taria

Great photos. The stash raid group going to Bev's house
is the one I want in on. Great choices of fabric, wonderful
machines. I even will take that beautiful dresser. What
a wonderful place to work Bev. I'm off to take the seats
out of the van.....
Taria

WoodenSpools wrote:

My stash is first sorted by type. I am a Civil War reproduction fabric
fanatic and have the first three drawers of my oak dresser full of that -
arranged by color. Then a drawer for homespun plaids; all colors. Then
drawers and bins sorted by color for most the rest of it. Christmas fabric
gets its own bin.
And then there's a bin for the stuff I don't use but haven't managed to part
with yet.
Hubby recently helped me build one of those Judy Martin ironing tables, and
I have bins of fabric on the shelves underneath the ironing surface.
And then I have a wood CD cabinet hanging on the wall housing my fat quarter
collection; all colors.
You can see my sewing room at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/buckeyebev

How do you sort your stash? By color? By style? By size? By date acquired?

Old October 23rd 03, 08:29 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Bev-

What a lovely sewing room/quilt studio you have there! You are a very
talented decorator and collector as well as quilter. I think I am most
envious of your ironing center- WOW!!!

Leslie giving her wobbly WalMart ironing board dirty looks

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"