Soldering pad outside of abestos where did they go?!?

Old August 10th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mikee

Default Soldering pad outside of abestos where did they go?!?

On Aug 7, 10:38 pm, Chris wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've got a project to solder and every time I make the attempt
stuff moves and I am REAL over re-doing this.

Granted, it has been a while since I did this, but back when I
did I had an asbestos pad that you could use pins to hold the
parts while you soldered them.

I've spent the last two days looking for something similar with
absolutely NO luck. All that I can find are hard pads which are
the equivalent to the the carbon block I have.

Tried the "helping hand" thing and that doesn't work out well
either.

What do people do now that asbestos pads seem to be evil :-)?

Thanks, Chris.

Hi Chris,
I don't have much trouble soldering parts together unless I'm fusing
wire onto at large piece. I then use a soft firebrick with stainless
steel plush pins "t type" and wire. If you are having trouble with one
particular piece it may be that it is a metal other than silver, for
example titanium, which requires an argon chamber to keep out the
oxygen. You could nickel plate the contact points first and then use
hard solder to braze it together.
All the best.
Mike

Soldering Test This! Jewelry 13 June 24th 07 02:28 AM
soldering C Ryman Jewelry 2 March 13th 06 04:29 PM
Soldering Jack Schmidling Jewelry 64 July 14th 04 05:55 AM
some help for my soldering tip? C Ryman Glass 11 December 19th 03 06:06 AM
De-soldering Moonraker Glass 2 December 13th 03 11:44 PM