Focus on Design: Burgoyne Surrounded

Old August 10th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Focus on Design: Burgoyne Surrounded

Focus On Design is my "every once in a
while" feature here in the RCTQ Land.
This it an opportunity to discuss the
design specified. It is not the place to
talk about sales, kids, chocolate,
sewing machines, etc. Please discuss
those in another thread. This is the
place to Focus on Design!

I try to include some links to the
pattern I choose. Sometimes the only
links are for quilts or patterns that
are for sale. NAYY! I do NOT promote or
endorse the products ... I just want
some illustration to help our
discussion. Please add your experiences,
and/or links, as well as opinions. Thanks.

(10 August 2006) Now we will discuss a
traditional American design: Burgoyne
Surrounded. This pattern allegedly
commemorates a battle in New York, where
American Colonists defeated English
troops led by one General Burgoyne.

Here is a link for antique traditional
BSQ (scroll to quilt # 5&6.) Click to
see nice close-up of HG, too.
http://tinyurl.com/hlq6n

Here is E-Bay page, featuring several
books on the topic, and some quilts for
sale.
http://tinyurl.com/s7vqy

Here is Marcia Hohn's Pattern:
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/Bur...ndedBlock.html

Old August 10th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KI Graham

Wonder why Marcia chose to use all those little squares? It seems like the
red/white one uses bigger pieces where appropriate, and it surely makes
sense.
I think I like the two-colour version...but, what would happen if you made a
scrappy one? Would it lose its impact, do you think?

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old August 10th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

That was quick, Kim! Marcia seems to use
lots of little pieces where I'd cut
larger ones. I agree with you about the
larger pieces.

Somewhere in the links is a scrappy
version. I think it is a Patchwork Place
book, on the E-Bay link. Here it is:
http://tinyurl.com/pqy9w
Again, NAYY!!

Eleanor Burns' book features red and
white 'chains' on dark blue background.

About 5 years ago, at MAQF as well as in
a magazine, a fantastic BSQ featured an
unusual treatment. It had many different
blood red fabrics for the background,
with white small squares. There was a
history of Jane McCrea on the back of
the quilt. Miss McCrea's death was a
factor in the Battle. It was a very
dramatic quilt, on several levels, and
very well done.

PAT in VA/USA

Old August 10th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KI Graham

The scrappy one looks like it's done "postage stamp" style like Marcia's
pattern...I guess if you're gonna go scrappy, especially with the background
in different neutrals, you'd need to do little pieces so you didn't lose the
overall look. I don't think I like it nearly as well as a two or
three-colour one, and I definitely DON'T like the Eleanor Burns cover quilt:
to me, the impact of this quilt is in the crispness of colour on white.

Just to totally contradict myself: this might be amazing in bright batiks on
black

I do not need another project; I do not need another project; I do not need
another project; I do not need another project; I do not need another
project

Old August 10th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:08:19 GMT, "KI Graham"
wrote:

I think I like the two-colour version...but, what would happen if you made a
scrappy one? Would it lose its impact, do you think?

I think scrappy would be gorgeous if you kept the diagonals
consistently dark (or light...similar tones). Then again,
scrappy quilts are some of my favorites. This is a really
interesting pattern.
Old August 10th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

I agree about Marcia's small squares however.. it opens the door to using
water colour grid to make a quilt with - makes the whole thing do-able all
of a sudden ;-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old August 10th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

I like the little squares set-up.

http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/Bur...ndedBlock.html

Mary Ellen Hopkins does something similar in many of her books,
showing how more complicated patterns are really just squares and triangles.
It's how I seen most patterns when I think, "Hmm...wonder if I could make
that..." and I look for the simple (that's me!) geometric break-down.
Yeah, this makes it easier for me to see, "This isn't difficult."
Got me thinkin', Pat. Thanks! ;-)

Pat, I love the pic w/ the handquilting. Lovely work.

More books at Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/e5p5c

Oh, *that* Jane McCrea: http://www.4peaks.com/fkmcrea.htm

Kim, weren't you looking for another project? Just the other day... ? g

Interesting variations: http://www.martingale-pub.com/Catalog/B639.htm
I like this kind of creative play. Contrast sells this pattern.

Just one more pic, please: http://tinyurl.com/lafe7
Gorgeous, quilt & pixie.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old August 10th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

My take on Marcia's pattern being described with strips of small squares
is that it makes it instantly transferable to any size. Treating each
square as a unit, rather than a given measurement, gives the quilt maker
the ultimate freedom to choose the size. That would certainly be a
'plus' as far as I was concerned.
It is a very interesting pattern, and the quilts are lovely - though I
don't think I should be making it (given the supposed history g)
..
In message nCKCg.371632$IK3.2658@pd7tw1no, KI Graham
writes
Wonder why Marcia chose to use all those little squares? It seems like the
red/white one uses bigger pieces where appropriate, and it surely makes
sense.
I think I like the two-colour version...but, what would happen if you made a
scrappy one? Would it lose its impact, do you think?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 10th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
D Curtis

You picked one of my fave quilts. Done in white chain and dark blue for
the main color it reminds me of an overshot coverlet my mom had. Its one
on of those *someday* quilts for me. Its a clean design, enough movement
to make its two color , no triangles design interesting.
Di
http://duet.etsy.com

Old August 11th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I remember quite a few years ago QNM ran an article on
Burgoyne Surrounded - the design and the history of the
infamous Gen Burgoyne. I was very taken with the block at
the time. Guess it's time to go take another look.

--

Cheryl & the Cats

: