quilt classes

Old August 6th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Default quilt classes

Hi all, I'm back from the Lowell quilt festival and my first quilt
class ever (first four actually). Lesson #1 learned: 4 classes in 4
days is ALOT. It was exhausting, but also great fun. I feel like I
did a little of everything and worked a little outside of my comfort
zone here and there, and the classes were all wonderful. If anyone is
interested in hearing about any individually, feel free to email me
offline. I took Kathy Sandbach's beginner machine quilting class,
Diane Hire's curvaceous squares, Sally Schneider's "Bard of Avon," and
(today) Sharon Pederson's reversible quilts. All four women were
talented, funny, friendly, and great teachers. I uploaded my class
blocks here, just for fun. hopefully I'll finish them into something
before next year!

(See WIP album: http://community.webshots.com/user/quilter329)

Lynn (WAY behind on rctq digests, but I'll catch up eventually...)

Old August 6th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

They look really great, Lynn.
What fun those curvaceous squares are!! (though I wouldn't like the job
of arranging them - you did really well on that g)
..
In message . com,
quilter writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 6th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pam in Spencerport

quilter wrote:
I took Kathy Sandbach's beginner machine quilting class,

Hi Lynn, I am considering taking a machine quilting class this fall but
I'm not sure it will be worth the time and $$ ($40 for a 5 hour class).
Did you find it usefull? My thinking is that because machine quilting
skills are so dependant on practice, practice, practice is a class
really that helpful, or would a book teach me just at much? What do you
think?

Pam in Spencerport

Old August 6th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Hi Pam,
I'm no expert, but I think it would depend on the style of the teacher
and the liklihood that you'll practice without someone there to tell
you to. Personally, I never would have gone out and bought muslin and
practiced. I know I should, but I just wouldn't have. There was quite
a long time (3 hours) of lecture/instruction and show and tell before
we sewed in this case (followed by 3 hours of sewing, after a lunch
break). That might or might not be what you want, but I thought it
was useful, with advice about threads, posture/ergonomics, ways to
think about design, etc. Other classes I took were 95% sewing, and
that was fun too. Sorry, I'm not much help!

Lynn

Old August 7th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I love the pink curvaceous squares!!

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

ups.com...
:

Old August 7th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

taking a MQ class or not.

It may depend on the expertise of the teacher, mine was lousy. I
expected to be given lots of helpful hints on how to set up my machine,
but the teacher took one look at my Janome 6500 and said she knew
nothing about "NEWFANGLED" machines, and just walked away. She made us
buy tons of very expensive threads and extra needles, then we did
nothing with them. It was about $40 for 6 hours. The only good thing
is that I spent 4 hours of uninterrupted practicing which I probably
would not have done otherwise, so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

I took a 'jacket from sweatshirt' class a couple of months ago and this
teacher was wonderful. She knew her subject, had tons of examples and
was always available for questions.

My advice is to ask around if someone has taken a class from the teacher
you're considering.

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI

Old August 7th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pam in Spencerport

Mary in Rock Island IL wrote:
"Pam in Spencerport" wrote:

quilter wrote:
I took Kathy Sandbach's beginner machine quilting class,

Hi Lynn, I am considering taking a machine quilting class this fall but
I'm not sure it will be worth the time and $$ ($40 for a 5 hour class).
Did you find it usefull? My thinking is that because machine quilting
skills are so dependant on practice, practice, practice is a class
really that helpful, or would a book teach me just at much? What do you
think?

Pam in Spencerport

Not Lynn but...$40 for a 5 hour class is reasonable in my experience.
As to whether it is worth it, that somewhat depends on your learning
style. Some suggestions:

Cast a look on the supply list and see if the requested supplies are
the type of thing you hope to machine quilt with.

Talk with anyone who has taken a class with this person before and
find out if it is more demo or supervised practice and think about how
that fits with what you want.

I dont know anyone who has taken this class or any class by this
teacher but I think I will call and get more info. One thing I think
would help me is to see a demo and then a chance to do it myself with
the teacher checking to see if we are all doing it right.

Would you put in several sustained hours of practice if you weren't in
class?

Probably not, so that in itself may be a good reason to take the class.
Thanks Mary.

Pam in Spencerport

Old August 7th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pam in Spencerport

Hi Lynn, Yep, I'm thinking now that the class will more or less make me
put in practice time that otherwise I would not do. I'm also hoping to
pick up some tips so I will probably sign up for it. And I think
actually seeing someone machine quilt will be helpful. I had been
thinking for a while about taking a class like this and stumbled across
the website of a quilt shop in this area offering the class. Looks like
they offer it on a regular basis so it must be somewhat popular.
Pam in Spencerport

Old August 7th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article . com,
"quilter" wrote:

[...]

Welcome back, Lynn! I know just what you mean about four classes in
four days. LOL! That's how I feel every year after camp -- and this year
my friend Judy took *six* classes in *six* days. I bow to her fortitude.

I think you should tell us about all of your classes -- we love hearing
about this stuff. I've had a class with Kathy Sandbach -- isn't she
wonderful?

Now, which block in your picture goes with which class?
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 7th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

They look as if the classes were really interesting.You did a great job!
Well done.
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos