guild show and tll tiqutt

Old July 16th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default guild show and tell . .

Joan
I am trying to get my not-so LQS shop to create a "Ps n' Qs" group
[piecers and quilters] to match up those who like to create tops and
those who would rather quilt than create the top. I do not have a local
guild or group. I am a piecer for the most part.

As for show-and-tell. We used to have all many of things shown, from
blocks to tops to the completed item.

Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day,
Ginger in CA
JustJoanQuilts wrote:
I haven't been in a guild for a while but the one I used to be in had
everything at show and share, usually the ones who showed tops are what
we called "Toppers"; quilters who love making the tops but not the
finishing. I tend to be a topper because I love designing and sewing
the tops. I can't really afford to have them machine quilted and as
much as I love hand quilting, I am not very good at putting the quilt
sandwich together. I do OK on smaller quilts but the larger tops I
have made have been quilted by machine because I am so intimidated by
the basting process. I don't have the floor space to lay out a large
quilt and doing it in sections on my cutting table always ends up with
puckers on the back!! Needless to say, I have several large tops
waiting for the funds to be machine quilted!

Joan (from GA at the moment)

DrQuilter wrote:
is it OK to show a top in your guild's show and tell or do you guys
limit yourselves to completed quilts? I am not too shy, but I haven't
gathered the courage to do SNT yet... maybe now that I was voted evening
secretary (though of course they misspronounced my last name!) I will
finally dare - but should I wait until I have really finished a project
or do you guys think I can show a top?
--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)

Old July 16th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

SHE refused a 'Great BEG' on her behalf! Oh my, what is this world coming
too........
I'll step up and help you out, Taria--think you have my new addy. Don't have
ANY new quilts for this place.

Butterfly

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
newsjhug.332782$5Z.67647@dukeread02...
Taria, which Pat?? Not this one, but thanks for thinking of me (if you
were.) I have enough 'tops' of my own, guess I am a Topper!
PAT

Taria wrote:

hey Joan, You just need to send those toppers to me and Pat.
We'll take them off your hands!
Taria

Old July 16th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

See my reply to Pat
Butterfly

"Taria" wrote in message
YOu are the Pat I was thinking of. You have been doing so much
fine tuning of your begging skills lately that I just thought you would
like to share ; )
Taria

Old July 16th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

No problem with that here...so send them on. Sides the quilt Police have NO
IDEA of where I'm at....they still think I'm in CA (heheehehheee)

Butterfly (so happy to help another quilter out of her dilemma--and I'm not
even asking color, style, size, theme, etc--not futzy at all--this place
NEEDS color!)

"JustJoanQuilts" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you ladies for all the adoption offers to take care of my tops,
but if you are Toppers yourselves, I wouldn't want to mess with the
owner/quilt top ratio. Then I would have to worry about some tops not
getting all the attention they deserve. I would have to call QPS(Quilt
Protection Services) and what a mess it would be . . . I wouldn't want
to see anyone on the news with the headlines, "Quilter Found Barely
Alive, Discovered in Home Overrun With Quilts" . . . no one knows
exactly where all the quilts came from, but neighbors confirmed that
UPS made many stops . . . it is believed that she couldn't say no to a
top, being a Topperholic and all . . . sad, so, so sad!!

Joan (from GA at the moment)

Old July 16th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

Default guild show and tll tiqutt

I agree with what many others have said about how it depends on your
guild. I think it would also be helpful if guilds let new people know
what their preferred procedure is.

I've gotten so that I get there early and have my stuff out on the
table. Then when people walk by they ask me questions or make
wonderful exclamations. Then if necessary we can plan for an advice
session during the refreshment break.

Which one are you going to show?

Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks, Nevada

- - - - - -

Old July 16th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT Name Game! guild show and tll tiqutt

I'm still wondering what the correct and incorrect pronunciations of
Marissa's last name are...

FWIW, people can mess up ANY name. My maiden name was a very common
six-letter English surname which I shared with a famous actor, and people
messed that one up ALL the time. Sheesh.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Now that you mention it ... I've often wondered HOW to pronounce your
name! I KNOW it is not Tiara ... though you deserve one. Does it rhyme
with Maria?
Nosy? Yes, I am! PAT (Rhymes with Hat)

Taria wrote:

I would think each guild has different ways they handle show and tell.
There are mostly finished quilts and stuff at our meetings but once
in awhile there is a top. I took in one top to S&T that had taken me
years to finish and I knew was going to take years to quilt (it did).
It was well received both times. Mine is a smaller group so that makes
things different than a guild with hundreds of folks. We are around 80
and maybe 30-40 that show up most meetings. I always enjoy seeing what
other quilters are doing. BTW, Some of the old gals still call me tiara
instead of Taria, it has been over 10 years since I joined my guild.
Taria

Old July 17th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:31:30 GMT, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

I'm still wondering what the correct and incorrect pronunciations of
Marissa's last name are...

FWIW, people can mess up ANY name. My maiden name was a very common
six-letter English surname which I shared with a famous actor, and people
messed that one up ALL the time. Sheesh.

There's only one way to spell "Gibson". And yet....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old July 17th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy

As far as I know the guild I belong to does not have a policy around
what qualifies for show n' tell. There have been lots of things shown
and told. We are a fairly big guild with about 250 members with 1/2
attending the meetings

Kathy in NH
www.amoskeagqg.org

Old July 18th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Imagine Gucci with a "P". Easy. "cc" followed by a vowel is "ch".

Cindy

"Debra" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:59:59 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

My last name is Pucci. Even in this town of Italians, mine gets
mispronounced all the time. You can imagine. I'm gonna be Treasurer next
year! No more newsletter, yahoo!

Cindy

I don't have to imagine. I read it with the wrong pronunciations the
first time, then re-read it with a different, possibly correct,
pronunciations after reading the word "Italians". It's possible that
both possible ways I've thought about are wrong though.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at