Ping Joan-North Dakots Floods

Old March 23rd 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

Default Ping Joan-North Dakots Floods

I'm sending good vibes to you and yours that you stay high and dry and have
no problems from the expected floods in Fargo.

Lucille

Old March 23rd 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"lucille" wrote
I'm sending good vibes to you and yours that you stay high and dry and
have no problems from the expected floods in Fargo.

Frantically trying to fan the freezing air back southwards for you Joan.
Take care.

Dawne

Old March 23rd 09, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan

Aww, gee, thanks for thinking of me everyone! Especially that cold
air from Dawne! We could really use it right now to slow down the
melt, especially after the 1/2" rain we got last night. Things are
melting waaay too fast. Fargo is already in sandbagging mode and has
been for a couple of days.

Keep those cold thoughts coming! Who'd'a thunk I'd be asking for cold
after the winter we've had, right, Dawne?

Joan, where it's a balmy 46 right now. 26 would be better!
Old March 23rd 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

"NDJoan" wrote in message
Aww, gee, thanks for thinking of me everyone! Especially that cold
air from Dawne! We could really use it right now to slow down the
melt, especially after the 1/2" rain we got last night. Things are
melting waaay too fast. Fargo is already in sandbagging mode and has
been for a couple of days.

Keep those cold thoughts coming! Who'd'a thunk I'd be asking for cold
after the winter we've had, right, Dawne?

Joan, where it's a balmy 46 right now. 26 would be better!

If I had babysitter, I'd be up there sandbagging right now too! I remember
how bad it was in 97, and I just read this afternoon they're expecting it to
crest higher than it did back then. Hopefully all the dikes will serve
well. It's supposed to rain every single day this week. :-(

Keeping my fingers crossed in MN,
Jinx

Old March 24th 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"NDJoan" wrote

Aww, gee, thanks for thinking of me everyone! Especially that cold
air from Dawne! We could really use it right now to slow down the
melt, especially after the 1/2" rain we got last night. Things are
melting waaay too fast. Fargo is already in sandbagging mode and has
been for a couple of days.

Keep those cold thoughts coming! Who'd'a thunk I'd be asking for cold
after the winter we've had, right, Dawne?

Well of course, coming from Saskatchewan, it is (wait for it, all together
now....) A DRY COLD. We actually had snow again last night, and the roads
and highways are sheets of ice, travel not recommended anywhere you'd want
to go and a few places you wouldn't anyway. Stay dry, Joan.

Dawne

Old March 24th 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"NDJoan" wrote in message
Aww, gee, thanks for thinking of me everyone! Especially that cold
air from Dawne! We could really use it right now to slow down the
melt, especially after the 1/2" rain we got last night. Things are
melting waaay too fast. Fargo is already in sandbagging mode and has
been for a couple of days.

Keep those cold thoughts coming! Who'd'a thunk I'd be asking for cold
after the winter we've had, right, Dawne?

Joan, where it's a balmy 46 right now. 26 would be better!

Joan,
Do the best you can with what you got! We had pumps running yesterday for a
few hours. We are generally protected via the floodway but frozen street
drains are causing some major problems for some people. IMHO we could use a
quarter to half inch of rain within 20 miles of us. The run off would cause
the Red River ice to lift and break up faster and allow the water to flow
faster. I saw the ice breaking away from the river sides in several areas
today which is a VERY good sign. We are due for a bit of rain or snow over
night. From the sounds of the forecasters we might be looking at a lake 20
miles wide all the way south to the border. I hope not. That is a lot of
flooded farm land, flooded small villages and a lot of water that has to
pass through our city or around it. Highway dept. has closed alot of roads
from here to the border and will close others on a moments notice. Most
cattle have been moved or are in the process of being moved to higher
ground - the problem as always is feeding them.

Keep Dry
Fred

Old March 24th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan

On Mar 24, 12:46*am, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

Well of course, coming from Saskatchewan, it is (wait for it, all together
now....) A DRY COLD. *

LOL! Well, that's just what we need! They're predicted mixed snow/
rain for the rest of the week. Yuck.

Joan

Old March 24th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan

On Mar 24, 1:11*am, "Fred" wrote:
I saw the ice breaking away from the river sides in several areas
today which is a VERY good sign.

WooHoo!

From the sounds of the forecasters we might be looking at a lake 20
miles wide all the way south to the border. I hope not.

Shades of '97, I'm afraid. They closed one of the bridges in town
this morning to put up the flood wall. It will be interesting to see
if all the flood-protection-work done over the past 10 years will
help... People are really starting to get nervous, which is
understandable.

Looking at the water that backed up into our yard yesterday, I said to
DH, "I see we have lakefront property again."

Must take some pics and put them on webshots....

Joan
Old March 24th 09, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan

On Mar 24, 7:21*am, lucretia borgia
wrote:

I saw the pics on the National last night, scary. *I wondered where
you were in relation to the floodway. *Good Luck !

Do you have Google Earth loaded? If so, put my address in (it says my
house is a mile north of where it really is), then put that location
in the lower left corner of the screen, you can see where I am in
relation to the town.

In the north-central part of town, you'll see 2 bigger blue boxes...if
you put your mouse on them, the lower of the 2 is my library!

Our problem isn't from the river but from the @##*@#(*@#&@ (from me,
who doesn't swear! LOLOL!) dam, also visible on GE, they put up (with
no way to keep water *in* the dam!) 1 1/2 miles SW from our house.
This picture is a few years old, because there is now *lots* of water
behind the dam and people go fishing there.

Joan

Midwestern floods Olwyn Mary Needlework 1 June 30th 08 03:25 PM
Floods in England Shillelagh Yarn 28 July 31st 07 12:22 AM
Newcastle (Au) floods Pat P Needlework 11 June 12th 07 11:23 AM
ping Jo from Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui (New Zealand) Anne in CA Quilting 0 February 17th 06 11:44 PM
Ping LewMew and Joan E. re MO State Fair lizard-gumbo Needlework 4 August 10th 05 11:05 PM