quilt classes

Old August 8th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default quilt classes

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 16:49:39 -0500, Pam in Spencerport wrote
(in article .com):

quilter wrote:
I took Kathy Sandbach's beginner machine quilting class,

Hi Lynn, I am considering taking a machine quilting class this fall but
I'm not sure it will be worth the time and $$ ($40 for a 5 hour class).
Did you find it usefull? My thinking is that because machine quilting
skills are so dependant on practice, practice, practice is a class
really that helpful, or would a book teach me just at much? What do you
think?

Pam in Spencerport

I've taken a couple of machine quilting classes, and i think they've been
worth it. It's a great opportunity to practice, practice, practice. And
usually I find I learn something, usually just a tiny thing that makes me say
"Duh!", and improves my skills.

Just my $0.02.

Maureen

Old August 9th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NickName

What great blocks. I love the curvy ones. I have not sewn anything
with curves yet....

quilter wrote:
Hi all, I'm back from the Lowell quilt festival and my first quilt
class ever (first four actually). Lesson #1 learned: 4 classes in 4
days is ALOT. It was exhausting, but also great fun. I feel like I
did a little of everything and worked a little outside of my comfort
zone here and there, and the classes were all wonderful. If anyone is
interested in hearing about any individually, feel free to email me
offline. I took Kathy Sandbach's beginner machine quilting class,
Diane Hire's curvaceous squares, Sally Schneider's "Bard of Avon," and
(today) Sharon Pederson's reversible quilts. All four women were
talented, funny, friendly, and great teachers. I uploaded my class
blocks here, just for fun. hopefully I'll finish them into something
before next year!

(See WIP album: http://community.webshots.com/user/quilter329)

Lynn (WAY behind on rctq digests, but I'll catch up eventually...)

Old August 9th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Thanks! They are a bit deceiving, because they come out all wonky and
mismatched on the edges (at least, they do when I sew them!), and then
you just chop off the edges and square them off. So they are not hard
at all. It has made me braver to try some gentle curves, though.
Maybe I will make it to a NY Beauty quilt one day afterall.

Lynn

Old August 9th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Thanks, Patti! They just spoke to me and told me where to put them. I
love it when they do that.

Lynn

Patti wrote:
They look really great, Lynn.
What fun those curvaceous squares are!! (though I wouldn't like the job
of arranging them - you did really well on that g)

Old August 12th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.

Love the Curvaceous Curves!!

--
Donna in NE La.
ups.com...

Old August 12th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I took Diane's class in Paducah this year. She's really nice, isn't she? I
love your colors and arrangement!
I may have to make some more blocks.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...53918257nQEMmM I like yours
better!
hummmmmm I really should get my first class project finished before
starting another one though.
One of my numerous faults.
KJ

ups.com...

Old August 12th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
quilter

Yes, she is super nice. I told her in the beginning of class that I
was a bit of a 'beginner masquerading as an intermediate' because I had
never sewn a curve before. Near the end of class, she called the whole
class over to applaud the "beginner". She was really fun.
Your quilt is great - love your idea for the borders! I'm toying with
making the outer border of bigger blocks (like she did - twice as big
as the center ones).

Lynn

Old August 12th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I didn't really have enough hand dyes to make the bigger blocks for the
border. And I wasn't sure enough of my color families to sacrifice
"favored" fabric for the bigger block border. So I sliced up the extra
blocks I'd made for the inside to make the border fabric. It will do. I
like it better than some class projects I've made.
Kj

ups.com...