Losing the beady groove

Old August 27th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Default Losing the beady groove

Hey ladies and gents (if there are any here anymore),

Lately I've fallen "out" of love with beading it seems. I don't know if
I'm just on a beading hiatus or what. I still like to do bead embroidery
and currently have a project, but weaving and stringing are just falling
to the wayside with me. Have any of you had this happen? Am I just a
beading freak? I also have other hobbies and interests besides beading,
so I tend to seesaw between them all, but I have never just had that
"eh" feeling about any of my hobbies that I've been feeling about
weaving and stringing.

Granted, I still love MAKING beads, but I used to be one of those crazy
seed beaders that would peyote stitch something up in a day. I haven't
done any off loom weaving in probably 2 years (since I moved). It
saddens me. I would love to hear about any advice, or stories about
something similar. A friend told me once that she would never get rid of
ANY of her arts or craft supplies because years down the road she may be
into them again. I wonder if this is what I should do? Keep shopping and
hoarding beads for the future?

HELP!
-Lost the Groove in AZ

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old August 28th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

Long time no see ...

I consider that normal. Sortof. I've never been patient enough for
bead
weaving, peyote, bead embroidery, etc., but there are times when I
have
to push myself to even make what I call "bread and butter jewelry" -
similar things in different colors, that take on the order of 20
minutes
each (and go on consignment, so I kinda got to.).
You do more than one thing, and I find it normal (I do too) that
sometimes
other things take over. I sat last night and felt like "I want to make
something
purple", but I didn't have the energy to get the things together,
basically
because I didn't have the energy to get up. And then there's all these
things
that have to be done that are way more important, be that leafing
through
the stack of newspapers that accumulated while being on vacation or
finally
drilling some mgambo seeds that aren't already ordered (after drilling
500 that
people ordered and paid for last week, which alone is about 5 hours of
"after
work" time).

Of course I can't say whether it'll come back in your case, but in my
case it
always does. At the moment I'd love to get my torch out, and finally
make enough
beads to justify the time and cost of batch annealing, but so far even
with that
I only got as far as dipping mandrels.

Aloha,
Maren
HiloBeads: Beads - Beading Supplies - Hand-made Jewelry
http://www.hilobeads.com/
Blog at: http://hilobeads.blogspot.com/

On Aug 27, 12:54 pm, Valerie wrote:
Hey ladies and gents (if there are any here anymore),

Lately I've fallen "out" of love with beading it seems. I don't know if
I'm just on a beading hiatus or what. I still like to do bead embroidery
and currently have a project, but weaving and stringing are just falling
to the wayside with me. Have any of you had this happen?

[...]
HELP!
-Lost the Groove in AZ

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://www.valeriebeads.comhttp://va...s.blogspot.com

Old August 28th 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Hey, Valerie... it happens to the best of us. So sorry you're feeling this
way! Once, I went through a dry spell of about 5-6 months. Didn't
wanna bead, didn't wanna look at a bead, didn't wanna buy any beads. Maybe
your other crafts want more attention right now instead of
weaving/stringing. I know I got sick of stringing myself. So instead, I
started looming and embellishing bracelets. It seemed more creative than
'just' stringing.

KEEP YOUR STUFF!! lol... you never know when the urge will come back to
you... perhaps a special nite out, or a festive occassion will come up and
you'll need to make some jewelry to wear to it. As far as shopping for
more beads while you're in a creative hiatus... I would do it only if it
makes you feel good about buying them and adding them to your stash. Don't
be buying beads just because 'someday' you might make something with them.

Here's hoping your stringing/weaving muse gets back to you when her vacation
is over. (Are you sure she knows where you moved to? lol)

--
hugs,
Linda

:
[...]
: --
: Valerie
: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old August 28th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
midi73

Hey Valerie
I know how you feel. I make beads too and seem to have to force
myself to do the jewelry projects people have ordered from me right
now. For whatever reason it just seems hard to do. I know it comes
and goes though because it's happened to me as well. I finally just
relalized I need to focus on the things I NEED to get done for others
and then when it comes to my time I go make beads or whatever is
striking my fancy... LOL. I agree...keep your stuff. (smile) One
of these days you'll make that one special bead that just has to be
made into jewelry by YOU. ;-)

Sylvia
www.sylcraft.com

Old August 28th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

Val,

Good to see you! I feel like I've been in a slump the past couple of years,
but just too much real life interfering with beading with my daughter's
illness and then, tearing my trapezoid at the beginning of the summer kind
of blew my summer.

I have been playing with a little seed beading, and earlier, I couldn't even
string a simple necklace, so it's nice to be able to play. I may even get
back on the torch soon!

I hope you get your groove back. You are so talented, I can't imagine you
giving it up, so keep the stuff! Last week, I started teaching the kids at
the arts program that I work at one day a week. I think that has inspired
me again. I'm doing a chain maille class, a basic jewelry class, and a seed
beading class. The kids keep me on my toes!

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old August 28th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie[_4_]

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if it's the other interests or not.
It most definitely was the move I think; at last it contributed to it,
but before that I also had a beady friend to play with (Linda, are you
still here?), that I actually met here in RCB. Now I don't have anyone
to play beads with.

Maren, you make a good point about all the "other" stuff that needs to
get done too. I'm way behind all the time on that other stuff (I have a
lot of pain that prevents me from doing things), so I'm constantly doing
things that haven't gotten done. It's never ending!

Another thing is that I'm no longer selling jewelry. Linda2 and I used
to do shows together and now that we don't, I don't have that motivation
behind me.

Anyways, it's good to see you all again! I do miss the beady talk since
I can at least contribute to that even if I'm a faux beader these days.

Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old August 28th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Linda2

I'm still here, just busy. Colette's satuing with me now, so imagine the two
of us in a one bedroom condo with the two cats and Dylan.

Old August 29th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Hey stranger...where you been?

I've been out of the beading groove, too, mostly. Been working on more
'artsy fartsy' mixed media stuff using the clay (and a few beads). I
think I just go in cycles and just roll with it. If and when it comes
back, great. If not, well I know plenty of folks around these parts that
would beat down the doors if I said I was selling off my stash, lol.

Keep the faith (and stick around - been missing you).

b.

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Habitué

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com
http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Old August 29th 08, 11:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

Something else occurred to me tonight some time
(actually, while I was out picking lilikoi).
When you move like that, the light changes. The colors change.
I once applied for a job in inland California, where it gets hot
in the summer and cold in the winter and you're surrounded
by mountains and the humidity is below 10% most of the time.

Having grown up close to a rather large body of water, in
high humidity and maritime climate, moving to the tropics
(from 54 north), everything but the latitude (and the amount
the length of the day changes) stayed the same.

I'm not sure I'd survive moving inland. You may get used
to it or you may not, but the light and colors inland are
never the same as they are close to the ocean or some other
large body of water (Carla, if you read this, any opinions
on this? The Great Lakes are about as big a body of water
inland as you get)

For all I know AZ is a place where there's lots of beads and
beaders. I've never been anywhere close, other than flying
over.

Not sure this helps any.
Aloha,
Maren