Short Long Stitch & scanning trouble

Old April 7th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

Default Short Long Stitch & scanning trouble

Well after much putzing around, my first short-long stitch piece is
up. The stitching is less than ideal, but I thought I'd put it up.

Even though I'm not happy with this piece, now I want to do more! I
think the next one will be with DMC and linen though. A bit easier to
manage for old Stumble Thumbs here. I think I need the Chung book now
too, but that has to wait until next month.

One thing, (my real reason for this post) could someone tell me how
the color reads on your monitor? The real color of the bag is a light
green, and it keeps scanning as almost a fawn beige. The colors don't
pop as well as in RL. So I'm wondering whether my monitor or the
scanner is going geriatric. I've had trouble with a number of scans
lately so I don't think it is the fabric itself, although the fabric
is very reflectant.

Dora
OOps, nearly forgot, pic in the Finished 2007 album at
http://www.picturetrail.com/bungadora

Old April 7th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

bungadora wrote:

One thing, (my real reason for this post) could someone tell me how
the color reads on your monitor? The real color of the bag is a light
green, and it keeps scanning as almost a fawn beige.

I see beige. But then, my WebDiva tells me the background on my website
is DMC 996 and I'm seeing something closer to 775, so don't take my word
for it.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 1/26/07 -- Classy Lady in Coral (JCS) -- done in purple to
match the companion piece

WIP: housewarming gift, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old April 7th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"bungadora" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I see a fawn beige with a nice sheen.

Old April 7th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

Ok. I think that means the scanner is not working properly. I haven't
made any changes to the settings, (or at least until I started having
trouble) so I suspect it would be a mechanical malfunction. It was a
free scanner so I suppose that was to have been expected eventually.

I'll keep the pic up for now until I get a film developed.

Thanks for your help.
Dora

Old April 7th 07, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Apr 7, 5:53 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 4/6/07 11:30 PM, in article
. com, "bungadora"

wrote:
Ok. I think that means the scanner is not working properly. I haven't
made any changes to the settings, (or at least until I started having
trouble) so I suspect it would be a mechanical malfunction. It was a
free scanner so I suppose that was to have been expected eventually.

I'll keep the pic up for now until I get a film developed.

Thanks for your help.
Dora

Dora - have you tried using something like Photoshop to correct levels.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. Didn't know I could do that. So I've adjusted the
colors, and it is much closer to RL although not 100%. Yep, it's green
all right.

Dora

Old April 7th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora

On Apr 7, 6:11 am, lucretia borgia wrote:

OOps, nearly forgot, pic in the Finished 2007 album at
http://www.picturetrail.com/bungadora

It looks very nice Dora. Long and Short stitch takes masses of
practice. I used to hate it but since I love crewel, was stuck with
it. Suddenly one day I realized that I now 'got it' as they say lol-

Thank you Sheena. I'm thinking of making small embroidered pieces in
short-long stitch to use in a crazy quilt someday. I hate practising
all for naught, and I'd like to have a way to use them.

Speaking of which I sorted out all my fabrics into color groups last
night. Not enough to do anything large - the rate at which I
accumulate fabrics has sure slowed down since the fabric store down
the street closed. LOL.

Dora

Old April 7th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

bungadora says...

One thing, (my real reason for this post) could someone tell me how
the color reads on your monitor? The real color of the bag is a light
green, and it keeps scanning as almost a fawn beige.

With my approximately 2 months old system running Windows Vista, I see
light green.

The colors don't
pop as well as in RL. So I'm wondering whether my monitor or the
scanner is going geriatric.

Try tweaking your color management and/or brightness and contrast
settings. I can't give you how to's asthe procedure is highly dependent
on your operating system and applications. Mine was so out of whack that
I had to buy a new system (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

When you mentioned long/short stitching, I thought you were talking
about canvas work. I had fun doing some kits when I returned to
embroidery not that long ago. They worked up really fast!!!!
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old April 7th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 4/6/07 9:12 PM, "bungadora" wrote:

Well after much putzing around, my first short-long stitch piece is
up. The stitching is less than ideal, but I thought I'd put it up.

Even though I'm not happy with this piece, now I want to do more! I
think the next one will be with DMC and linen though. A bit easier to
manage for old Stumble Thumbs here. I think I need the Chung book now
too, but that has to wait until next month.

Nice work - not so stumbly! At least you finished it.

One thing, (my real reason for this post) could someone tell me how
the color reads on your monitor? The real color of the bag is a light
green, and it keeps scanning as almost a fawn beige. The colors don't
pop as well as in RL. So I'm wondering whether my monitor or the
scanner is going geriatric. I've had trouble with a number of scans
lately so I don't think it is the fabric itself, although the fabric
is very reflectant.

I see a greenish biege color. It's not fawn, definitely has a green cast.

Have you been able to do the color registration thing with your monitor?

I'm confident with my monitor (I have an Apple cinema display, and the
colors are quite true - not quite the LaCie big blue hooded thing, but
almost).

If you have some other stuff and want to e-mail it to me, I'll tell you what
they show as.

ellice

Old April 7th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

bungadora wrote:
One thing, (my real reason for this post) could someone tell me how
the color reads on your monitor? The real color of the bag is a light
green, and it keeps scanning as almost a fawn beige. ......
Dora
OOps, nearly forgot, pic in the Finished 2007 album at
http://www.picturetrail.com/bungadora

It looks to be a medium sort of olive green on my monitor. A very
nice bag, BTW :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary