Rutile question

Old August 4th 03, 02:16 AM
Uncle John

Default Rutile question

Recently I fired my standard clear glaze.(Potash Feldsspar 19, Silica
19, Wollastonite 25,Podmore frit 2953 25,Microwhite China Clay 12.) (This
glaze started out as the 20,20,20,20,20 glaze on the Digital Fire web
site)

on a buff stoneware clay. Electric kiln fired to between cone 6 and 7.

The glaze was coloured with the addition of 5% red iron oxide and 5%
rutile. I used this combination after doing a cross blend. When it was
fired the rutile had formed patches of blue crystals where the glaze was
thick. These crystals also formed over a low fired stoneware white clay
as well but were not as obvious.

The questions are
Did the rutile react with the iron oxide?
Did the rutile react with the boron in the glaze?
Did the rutile react with something else in the glaze?
Could I get more crystals if I increased the rutile, iron or boron?
Do the crystals form on the firing cycle or on the cooling cycle?
If they form on the cooling cycle would a controlled cooling give more
crystals?

Cheers

John W

Old August 4th 03, 03:17 AM
MKent41616

as i understand it the crsytal form in the cooling phase and a longer cooling
phase would give you more crystals
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Old August 4th 03, 11:10 AM
Robert B II

MKent41616 wrote:
as i understand it the crsytal form in the cooling phase and a
longer cooling phase would give you more crystals
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

To persist in using some-one else's quote for a sig shows a lack of original
thinking on your part

--
Robert B* II

Old August 4th 03, 10:32 PM
Dominic Spencer

Well, Robert B * II, you're a real warm character aren't you? I bet they
say really sweet and lovely things about you when you're not around.

P.S. What DOES the B * stand for?

Dom S. (a long way from you, I hope)

Old August 5th 03, 03:53 AM
Clayslinger

I would love to say delete, delete, delete. But as that is not the nature of
this beast.
IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE.

It is not worth cluttering up this list with rebuttle for him!

My $.02

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Penni Stoddart
of Penelope's Pots
Full Time Education Assistant,
Part Time Potter

Sometimes we just need to remember what the rules of life
really are... You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and
shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Old August 5th 03, 07:57 AM
Robert B II

Cee White wrote:
Actually, Robert, it's indicative of an educated person, not a lack
of creativity, but we'll allow you your gaffe.

Catherine

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:40:21 +0930, "Robert B II"
wrote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

To persist in using some-one else's quote for a sig shows a lack of
original thinking on your part

Your mistaking cut/paste (kindy 1) for educated !!!!!!!!! Heaven help us
all...
Ben's quote may have applied to a gun toting population in 1759, but most
other 'educated' countries have introduced gun control

You would probably like this one then....
--
"I believe that forgiving them is God's function.
Our job is to arrange the meeting"

--
Your village is calling,
their idiot is missing.