A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Needlework
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Stitchers' Glossary

Old March 12th 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown
external usenet poster

Default Stitchers' Glossary

A few people have asked for the rest of the stitchers' glossary file.
This is the rest of my contribution: Nan was collecting stuff from
everyone to compile into a larger work.

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

thimble - the intellectually challenged stitcher, often nicknamed a thimble thimon by her thithterth, I mean sisters.

needle - extremely small, pointy piece of metal with a hole at one end through which one is jocularly expected to draw a piece of floss in order to stitch.

needle threader - device of torture given to stitchers in order to assist the threading of the needle. Frequently, the contortions required to make the threader work will send the stitcher, mad (mad, I tell you!) far sooner than she would have succumbed by simply trying to thread the needle on her own!

tapestry needle - purportedly blunt (yeah, right!) needle designed for use with the pre-holed canvas used for needlepoint. This 'bluntness' is given the lie when one sits upon said needle or has one forced into one's flesh by any other means. Such as catching it in one's thumbnail. Kicking it as it lurks in the carpet with one's delicate little toe. Getting it stuck between one's teeth as one tries to hold it there, keeping hands free for some more important task. You know what I mean, I *know* you do!

needlepoint - the 'conducting' attitude of a stitcher who, needle in hand and mouth full of chocolate, attempts to direct some family member toward the clean socks or undies or whatever it is they just asked for.

stitchers' balm - chocolate in any of its myriad forms.

blood - substance which stitchers sweat in order to have a piece blocked, framed and ready for wrapping on the eve of Christmas/Easter/birthday/other gift-giving occasion. Also, substance which oozes from the tortured flesh of a stitcher when inappropriate use has been made of the needle (see above). Removal of blood can only (I repeat: *only*) be achieved by the liberal application of the bleeder's own spit. Nobody else's spit will do!

gallbladder - substance which will readily impregnate your stitching if you allow one of your gallstones to fall on it. Ask me how I know...

aida - grand opera with elephants by Giacomo Puccini. Oh, and it's also this special stuff you can stitch on...

evenweave - the swaying, rhythmic gait used by stitchers as they negotiate the crowds milling around at craft shows.

linen - fabric fabricated from the fibres of flax. Young stitchers are usually afraid of linen, but there's no need to be unless it's wrapped firmly round your neck!

lugana - cheeky little Italian wine, which is quite nice to sip upon while stitching upon the cotton/viscose fabric of the same name.

scissors - snipping devices with two blades formed to look like a stork and, more importantly, a stunningly beautiful stitched fob attached.

hardanger - wrath of a stitcher whose family has used her stork scissors to cut paper, toenails or lengths of fuse wire!

udder cream - not what you think! It's for putting on the *cow's* mammary glands in order to make stitching easier for her. (Go figger!)

Orvus - useful horse shampoo which undergoes an amazing change of its physical state, depending on the ambient temperature. Stitchers use it to wash their work, confident that its pure soap will clean without leaching dyes. Stitchers in the tropics can use it by the droplet while stitchers in arctic regions can chisel bits off according to their needs. Comes in massive quantities because, of course, horses are kinda large beasties and use lots of shampoo. If there's a brand of horse conditioner or setting gel, I've yet to hear of it, but if there *is*, then you probably won't want to buy any...

Ads
Old March 12th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne
external usenet poster

Default Stitchers' Glossary

Trish Brown says...
A few people have asked for the rest of the stitchers' glossary file.
This is the rest of my contribution: Nan was collecting stuff from
everyone to compile into a larger work.

Thanks, Trish. I'll let you know if it's published.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply