I can't believe I'm finally back! OT, AD and LONG

Old June 18th 04, 03:31 AM
Tinkster

Default I can't believe I'm finally back! OT, AD and LONG

Well, after the great computer demise a couple of weeks ago, I got a
low-end Dell. A couple of days after it was delivered and set up, we
lost internet access for several days. After I got internet access
back, then I found out my "News" option in MS Outlook was nowhere to
be found. I just now had the mental energy to download and install
Agent.

There is no way I'm going to try to wade through 8K+ messages. First
off, good vibes to those in need, congrats to those who wish it,
condolences to those with sadness, giggles to those who I'm sure would
have made me laugh and hellos all around.

I've kept busy making/selling beads and having a wonderful time! I did
get a rather nasty burn last night. It's the first serious injury I've
had at the torch, and it ain't purty. Put my hand right in the flame,
I did. Duh. John thinks it's third degree, and wants me to go to the
emergency room. Two problems with that: First off, my insurance sucks
and I can't see spending all that $ if it's going to be ok. Secondly,
I am afraid they will debride it, which will make it hurt, which will
make it impossible for me to do my Loren Stump class next week. Anyone
with burn knowledge, I would love your input.

I've been getting some HUGE HUGE HUGE orders lately, which is really
cool because I don't have to take pictures, and they all get shipped
together and all sorts of other good stuff. So far, it's working out
well.

As mentioned above, Donna and I leave this Sunday for a week with
Loren Stump. I can't wait! My very first class! Weeeeee! Less that two
weeks after I get back, I head off for two and a half weeks at
Penland. A month later, it's the Art Glass Invitational. I am so
excited about these experiences that I can't stand it!

I have put up a couple of galleries:
Hollow Beads at http://snipurl.com/75x6
Vessels at http://snipurl.com/75x7

A recent discussion here about websites led me to simplify my front
page. I would love some input: http://blackswampglassworks.com/

So you oldtimers will remember my love for duckies, right? I just did
a duckie vessel, and it turned out SO cute! He is on my latest works
page he http://snipurl.com/4y35

I've been playing a LOT with vessels of all kinds, seeded glass and
with sterling cores and caps. I have so much fun working that I
*ALMOST* feel guilty. LOL! Oh! And I've also been selling stainless
hollow tubing for blowing little vessels: http://snipurl.com/75xa It's
been cool seeing the number of blown vessels increasing on the scene!

The Rent-A-Tink concept is going strong, and I see that a lot of folks
have started offering similar things. I love how it works for me, and
it's apparently a Very Good Thing for some other artists, too!

Finally, it looks like I will be teaching in several states next year:
California, Indiana, Texas, NY, Florida... Things are still being set
up, but it's shaping up to be yet another exciting year! My
on-the-road classes will be Hollow Beads and Blown Vessels. What else?
LOL!

Thanks for listening. I've really missed you guys...

Tinkster
http://blackswampglassworks.com

Old June 18th 04, 04:18 AM
Candace

My only advice is do not NOT put ice directly on the burn--it will further
damage the nerves and skin.

Glad to see you back, and I like the streamlined website, but the front page is
almost hard to read because the font is small.

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old June 18th 04, 06:17 AM
Debbie B

I like the page. Loaded immediately on slow dial up.

Your work as always is beautiful

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

---

Old June 18th 04, 07:11 AM
starlia

I'm glad to see you back.

Take care of that burn. If it is really bad you may need to see a doc.
Don't let it go and get infected. I know the Loren Stump class is coming up
but how will you be if your arm falls off? I know you would probably find a
way to work with toes and fingers...but...well...you know. Maybe a clinic
or doctor's office might be less expensive.

I love your rubber ducky! He's sold already. (bummer)

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old June 18th 04, 09:47 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Hello and big hugs, Tink! It all sounds wonderful, creative, inspiring.
It's good to hear that you're moving and shaking in the art world.
Marisa AU/NZ

Old June 18th 04, 03:16 PM
Karen_AZ

Ouch!

Congratulations, you're official now. G (I won't shake hands, I'm not that
mean.)

Keep it moist and cool for 24 hours. Then just keep it moist, and covered.
Don't break the blister, watch for any signs of infection like non-local
swelling or streaky redness. Most burns won't infect unless you mess with
them or they get dirty externally. I've had a couple baddies and just did
the moist & covered thing and they were fine. In about a week you can use
lavender oil and vitamin E to help the healing (they both seem to prevent
scarring). If you get any sharp pain, get thee to a doctor. I'd go see your
family doc whenever you can get in, just for prevention, but the ER really
shouldn't be necessary.

Oh, and if you can, get a scrip for SSD ointment. (1% silver sulfadiazine
cream) It's WONDERFUL stuff.

KarenK

Old June 18th 04, 03:58 PM
Tinkster

It's not blistering. It's too cooked for that. It's just leathery,
dead skin. Apparently killed all the nerve endings or something, as it
doesn't hurt. The area around it hurts like a sonofagun though. LOL!

I'm going to try to torch today to see if being exposed to heat makes
it hurt. Poop.

Old June 18th 04, 04:55 PM
Karen_AZ

Chances are, heat will bother the area around the worst of the burn. BTDT.

There's a kind of bandaid (but not bandaid brand) that's a moist gel wrap
for burns. I can't for the life of me remember who makes it but it's in the
first aid aisle of most drugstores. It works pretty well for the cooling
part, but doesn't stick on very well. I used a regular bandaid over it when
I cooked my pinkie a few years ago. Your burn sounds very similar, and yeah,
you probably zapped the nerve endings. It takes time but they DO heal. I
even got my fingerprint back!

Heal fast!

KarenK

Old June 18th 04, 08:00 PM
Dr. Sooz

Gorgeous beads. But the ducky.....you know how I feel about *that*.
~~
Sooz
Old June 18th 04, 08:14 PM
Christina Peterson

Hi Tink,

Folk remedies for a burn like that. Burnt onions applied to the burn are
supposed to help, but I've never done that. Both Vit C and garlic will help
carry away bad stuff. Vit E and arnica promote healing.

Your new opening page is very clean and easy. And your pages are loading
fast enough that all the pictures are showing up. Did you put just the
thumbnails up with bigger pictures in the links? I'm so glad to see them!!

And beautiful work.

Welcome home.

Tina