still need more members for the birthday club

Old October 3rd 05, 04:41 PM
Terbear

Default still need more members for the birthday club

I am organizing the 2nd year of the birthday block exchange club. We will
have two
members for each given month (we may have some exceptions to this rule).
This club requires a year long commitment. Each individual will let us know
their preference for their gift blocks, and each person in the club will be
required to send the birthday person a block, to arrive before their
birthday. (you can use any sewing method you like, and any quilting ability
is gladly welcome). If you can not keep commitments, please do not join, all
members are depending on you to stick around for the entire year. This rule
is very important, all blocks need to arrive before the birthday person's
birthday!!!!
This past year has been a blast, Please view my quilt that I made with my
blocks:
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts/birth

If you are interested, please get in touch with me by e-mailing me
at with BIRTHDAY BLOCK EXCHANGE in the subject line.
This is a great way to make new friends, and to keep challenging your
quilting abilities
If you like meeting new people, receiving & giving gifts & having the best
birthday every, this is the club for you!

Here are the spots we have available:
1 for February birthdays
2 for March birthdays
1 for April birthdays
1 for May birthdays
2 for June birthdays
1 for July birthdays
1 for September birthdays
1 for October birthdays
1 for November birthdays
1 for December birthdays

Teri

--
Terbear~Curator of the HUG Gallery~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/HUGS

Teri's quilts~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

Old October 3rd 05, 05:21 PM
Tina

Teri - I'm a November, and I see you have an open spot for November.
But I don't completey understand I guess. This is a sewn block
exchange? Everybody does a block for their month, or only one for
their month? I don't get it?

Tina

Old October 3rd 05, 06:09 PM
Queen of Squishies

Tina, I think how it works is this. When Feb. 2006 rolls around you sew a
block for each of the 2 Feb. birthday members. Then in March a block for
each of the March people. In the course of a year, you will sew 22 blocks
(Jan. being not listed), and in your birthday month you will sew one for the
other birthday person, and get 22 blocks for yourself. Or 21 I guess it
would be. Make sense? You would make the 22nd block for yourself to
complete the full 22.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
wanting to do this, but afraid of the one-year-long commitment of it

Old October 3rd 05, 06:29 PM
Terbear

Hey Karen...thanks, I did write to Tina...but just want to clarify...I am a
January birthday, and Mary is too, so we already got the January Birthdays
covered...and a few others scattered through out the year. I was posting for
fill in's where we had spaces available, as some decided to stay for the
next year.
Thanks
Teri

Old October 3rd 05, 06:52 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I think it means everyone makes 24 blocks according to the likes and
dislikes of the birthday person - usually outlined in a list when everyone
is enrolled.

It's quite a commitment but well worth it if you like having blocks from
other folks in a friendship style quilt. It's a lot of fun if it doesn't
get too nitpicky.

I did one on another quilting group a few years ago and it was made
delibertly easy - everyone participated - picked the block they wanted to
make but in the favorite colors chosen by the birthday folks. These were
mailed out - all at once - or in the month of the participants birthday.
I'm a "getter done" over achiever so I got all of mine done and mailed out
early.

The down side is a lot of folks start off and participate and then life
jumps up and bites them in the arse or they just get bored and drop off the
face of the earth. Unfortunately, for those at the end of the list , that
means they don't get 24 blocks. For them it is no fun and especially if
they have already sent out the required number of blocks and don't receive
anything back. That can cause some understandable hard feelings.

I remember I did the traditional Road to Arkansas pieced block - for
understandable reasons. It was fun getting all the blocks in from the other
participants. Each persons personality and quilting likes and dislikes
really showed thru. I had more than enough to make a large quilt and didn't
miss the ones from the "drop outs" at all.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Old October 3rd 05, 06:56 PM
Cappy

Karen, what some of the members did this year was to make all of the blocks in a
short time and then mailed the blocks to the recipients at the beginning of
their birthday month. (These folks are much more organized than I. grin) Your
"block wanted" is posted at the start when you sign up. That way, the rest of
us can make it up whenever we want, prior to your birthday.

So you're "year long" commitment might be a couple of days and birthday cards
clipped to the calendar waiting a few months to be mailed out... grin

Hope that helps...

Cappy

Old October 3rd 05, 06:58 PM
C & S

What month do you need? I'm not sure I understand. So you make the same
block throughout the year? Just curious.

Carole (who is almost finished with her paper)
Champlain, NY

Old October 3rd 05, 07:03 PM
Tina

It sounds like a lot of fun to me. And, I really like it that you know
in advance what others preferences are so that you can "make ahead" in
case life does get busy or in the way. A much more do-able prospect to
me.

And I would love to have a quilt with my RCTQ friends! Sounds like a
wonderful birthday present to yourself!

Hugs,
Tina - so when does the year start? January? or before?

Old October 3rd 05, 07:09 PM
Tina

Yes, and I love Teri's gentle persuasiveness....

"I think you want to join, don't ya"

Yep, she got me. Hook, line and sinker. LOL

Tina, thanks Teri for answering my myriad of questions so patiently

Old October 3rd 05, 08:52 PM
Queen of Squishies

aha, that explains it

Karen, Queen of Squishies