binding technique -- new to me, YMMV

Old March 29th 05, 01:06 AM
the black rose

Default binding technique -- new to me, YMMV

One of the ladies at my favorite quilt shop clued me in to the simple
idea of using a decorative stitch when binding by machine. This is for
use when you stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, flip it over,
and machine stitch the front. When you stitch the front, use a
decorative stitch -- feather, zigzag, blanket, what-have-you, anything
that will catch the binding often enough to keep it down.

I tried using a feather stitch in a variegated machine quilting thread
and it came out gorgeously. I'd also made the binding out of the same
material as the border, so the stitching floats out. Really nice. When
I update the pics on my webshots album, I'll put in a close-up of the
binding (digital camera is misbehaving, DH needs to fix it).

I usually bind by machine now; for some reason when I sew the binding to
the front and hand-stitch the back, it gives my neck fits. Must be the
way I tilt my head when I hand-sew or something. I have a proper sewing
cabinet for my machine, so it's all ergonomically correct if I stay on
the machine. With this technique, it's actually prettier if I do all
the binding on the machine.

Favorite stitches for this, anybody?

the black rose
Old March 29th 05, 02:19 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
the black rose wrote:

[...]

I love this method for kid quilts. I pick a stitch that goes with the
fabric on the quilt and if nothing jumps out at me the zig zag always
works.

marcella
Old March 29th 05, 04:51 AM
MB

I do the binding completely by machine for kid's quilts and probably will
on others that I'd use around here at home. If I spent a great deal of
time on one .. or.for show. ..I'm sure I'll do it by hand on the backside it
would depend on nice the quilt is.
Just sewing it by machine is soooo fast and both of my machines behave
nicely when sewing
bindings !...Mary

Old March 29th 05, 07:53 AM
Patti

I've heard this suggestion, with such glowing reports, that I really
must try it myself. I have a couple of lap quilts coming up which would
be just perfect to try (as they are 'busy' and, if I make a mistake it
won't show too much!!!! - did I say that?). Thanks for the reminder.
..
In message , the black rose
writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 29th 05, 07:54 AM
Patti

Quick question, Mary - didn't think of it until your last line - do you
use your walking foot to do bindings?
..
In message , MB
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 29th 05, 12:22 PM
MB

Hi Patti...Actually my Pfaff has the built in walking foot so I do engage it
and the
Brother 1500 that I have has what is called a pin-feed. This helps push the
fabric from below and
works the same (to me ) as the walking foot. I used the Brother for my
last binding and worked like a dream.
I have found that after sewing the binding to the back , I press that seam,
roll the binding to the front and press again and can sew it down without
pinning it all down--just a few pins...and I had no puckering or
folds of any kind. Mary.

"Patti" wrote in message
Quick question, Mary - didn't think of it until your last line - do you
use your walking foot to do bindings?
.
In message , MB
writes

Old March 29th 05, 02:10 PM
Patti

Thanks for the details, Mary.
..
In message , MB
writes

Old March 29th 05, 04:21 PM
Julia in MN

I do my bindings all by machine. Before sewing the binding on, I stitch
around the edge of the quilt slightly less than 1/4" from the edge. This
stabilizes the edge; I haven't had "ripply" bindings since I started
doing this. Then I stitch the binding to the top of the quilt, using my
walking foot. I trim the batting and backing. Then I switch to the blind
hem foot, because it has a little knife-like piece that is adjustable. I
set it so that the "knife" rides in the seam that holds the binding to
the quilt. I fold the binding underneath and stitch in the ditch from
the top, catching the binding underneath. This takes some practice, but
once you master it, bindings go much faster. You have to look close to
see the stitching from the top.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old March 29th 05, 05:03 PM
Christina in Ok

I love doing the decorative stitching..
I by-pass the stitch in the ditch.. and bind without pins.. turn under about
6 inches and sew..
here is a photos of one I am working on now..
( its not really good but you can view the decorative stitching I am doing)

Just click on under Quilting
http://community.webshots.com/user/cchilb

Old March 30th 05, 04:41 AM
Michelle in NJ

This is what i was taught in the first quilting class I ever took and is
what I did to every quilt i've made so far..
My favorite is a variation on a zig zag where it goes straight a stitch in
between... kinda zig-straight-zag-straight-zig

--
Michelle in NJ
http://michelle.absolutad.com/quilts/