Roll Call!

Old January 4th 05, 03:48 AM
melinda

Sharon Harper wrote:
G'day Folks!

I'm Sharon, posting as.... well look down and you'll see!

I'm from a little place called Dingley Village in Victoria in Australia. I
have a wonderful (travelling) husband called Wayne and we have 2 kids
(daughters), a mortgage and a cute QI called Merlot. He's a cat (Australian
Multi-Cultural Long Hair) and he lets us live here.

I'm just going back to work (3 days per week). I tend to machine piece,
hand applique, and hand quilt. I've been going for, what is it?, 4 years
now? It's so hard to remember! I love all fabric - well except brown and
"yeuchy" colours and I just love purple and blue!

I'm Melinda, also from Australia but a bit further north than Sharon
Cardiff in New South Wales. I have a DH that is self employed and works
from home and an 18 month old DS.

I haven't done a lot of quilting, I'd say intermediate piecer and a
beginner quilter, started pieceing about '96. I also belly dance, so
I dabble in beading and I'm on the New South Wales state team for
metallic silohette(sp) (I think my brain has taken a short holiday).

My favourite colours are bright, hot pinks, royal purple, black, white,
royal and navy blue, but I'll work with almost any colour. Currently
piecing a scrap top lap sized and an autumn toned bed sized top for DH.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old January 4th 05, 03:48 AM
Mystified One

I'm Linda, living in El Paso, Texas, and posting as Mystified One because
I'm so mystified as to why my computer keeps going down. Or at least that's
when I changed it. At first I was Mystical One, but I realized a little
late it had connotations that didn't reflect me, and by then I was known
pretty well as that nick, so when I changed it was very subtle.

I've been married for a year. (one of the two posters in this forum who got
married New Year's Eve, and apparently the same day!) We've got 4 children
ranging in age from 4 to 14 between us, three dogs, two cats, and a
cockroach that rearranges the furniture in the living room.

I've been sewing since I was 12. I learned on my mom's Centennial
Featherweight. I'd die to have that machine back. I now own a Pfaff 7550.

I like to do the quilts that make people stop in their tracks and look.
When I make a quilt, I love the look on people's faces. Usually, I end up
giving them to extended family or charity. I'm still trying to make the
twin quilts for the children. It just seems there's very little time in my
day!

Old January 4th 05, 03:53 AM
Elizabeth Young

frood wrote:
I thought it would be fun to tell a bit about ourselves, and get to
know each other.

Okay, Okay
I'm Liz, and I live in california, near Sacramento. In an apartment
right now, with 95% of my sewing stuff in storage, waiting for our new
house to be finished. I am a part-time grad student, part-time
housewife, and full-time couch potato.
And I am the Answer (42 years old)
I have a wonderful long-term boyfriend, an amazing stepson analog, and a
really smart dog.
I have only been quilting for 'real' for a few years: I have made a tied
cot quilt a long time ago, a pinwheel and stars flannel baby quilt, a
bright batik log cabin twin, a christmas stocking, a hot pad, the
world's ugliest table runner (but it was fun) and am planning a kingsize
quilt this year.

I like to give very local weather reports in my sig line, and if you
want to see my online world,
http://fenris.net/~lizyoung/

liz young in soggy boggy doggy froggy california
Old January 4th 05, 03:53 AM
melinda

frood wrote:
QIs! I forgot the QIs! I have a wonderful big shaggy dog named Mungo. He
rarely leaves my side, and will seek out any quilts left on the floor for
sleeping on. He's not much help with the design process, but he's a good
listener.

My main QIs (Quilt Inspectors) are my twin girls. They love to play with
blocks on my design wall, and freely offer their opinions. Unfortunately,
they have little concept of the actual quilt-making process. The day after
helping me select fabric, they want to know where the finished quilt is!

My quilting pages are in my siggy, below. My site is in dire need of
updating, but there are still some quilts to look at.

See? Isn't this fun?

I forgot to mention that I also make garments, which is how I got into
quilting - using up scraps from making clothes! No 4 legged QIs, my QI
is DS. My current favourite chocolate is Cadbury's Black Forest but I
really like chocolate covered macadamias and licorice bullets.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old January 4th 05, 03:58 AM
georg

I'm Georg, female. With a name like that, one perhaps should specify.

I live near Binghamton NY, and all of my kids have fuzzy faces and four
feet. I'm 36 in another 2 hours, and it doesn't look likely to have the
other kind of kid. But I'm a devoted Aunt. I've been married over 8
years now.

I've been quilting for a while, but I do other needlework as well. I'm
in the SCA, if you know what that is and care. Other hobbies include
fermenting things, cheesemaking, garb making, and Calligraphy and
Illumination. I am multiple chemical sensitive, and violently alergic to
perfumes and other strong smells.

I collect privy-related things and research. Fabric preferences include
batiks, jewel tones, purples, blues, greens, and anything that isn't
floral.

I do modern all machine style quilting as well as completely by hand,
and my current insanity is a 1390 reproduction- all by hand with
authentic materials. I will *need* to do something modern when I finish
it! And I'm in process of a Dear Jane as a take along sewing project to
do by hand. Look for an Evil Sun Bonnet Sue Block come April.

-georg
Old January 4th 05, 04:28 AM
DrQuilter

This is Marissa, my screen name is Dr. Quilter. I am originally from
Uruguay but have been living in the states for 10 years now, and have
been quilting almost that long though I've made a lot more quilts in the
last few years. I have a PhD in Molecular Biology from Penn State
University and now live in Seattle, where I work at the University of
Washington. So does my husband. We have a 10 month old daughter, Sofia,
and four guinea pigs but none of them is much of a quilt inspector.

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out before replying)
Old January 4th 05, 04:33 AM
Bronnie

Hi - I'm Bronwyn posting as Bronnie (diminutive and can be used).
I live in Burleigh Heads Queensland Australia and have met two other
Aussies here (Sharon and Nocturnal). I also met several wonderful girls
from US in Paducah last April.
I have been married 24 yrs with a wonderful DH who appreciates my work,
loves design and colour and making things so is a very good QI. No
kids. My other QI is "Whiskey" the Abyssinian cat who 'found' us 15
months ago. He has learnt to appreciate quilts too and finds them soft
for powernaps.
I gave up work a few years ago seeing we have no kids to fund! I love
quilting, and cooking is my other big passion. We love travelling
within Australian and around the world and we try to appreciate every
day we have and the people we love. When we are home we walk along the
beach daily (now keeping out an eye for tsunami waves...)
I machine piece, hand quilt (not very well) and am just learning to
machine quilt with my new Janome 6260.
Cheers
Bronnnie

Old January 4th 05, 04:58 AM
Christina In Ok

Hello,

My real name is Christina, and You guess it, I live in Oklahoma, small
town of 400. without a stop light. !!! I am a mother of two, a boy who
will turn 13 on the 16th of this month, and a girl who will be 18 in
March, I also have two adopted 4-legged children.. Mystic who is now
almost 8 years old and our newest addition Saide, who is going to turn
1 year on the 15th of this month.
I have been married, since I was 18, we have really had a our ups and downs.
I also own a web site & a forum and it has to do with my 2nd love,
Gardening. I gave the forum over to someone else, as I had too much on
my plate, but I still do all the graphics

We also kinda run a small hobbies out of our home, working on Computers
it is only by word of mouth. (sometimes Dh may have 10 at the house some
months, or some months we don't have any.

I have been draw to crafts very since I was a small child. making
Crochet chains when I was a small child, to sewing clothes when I was a
young teen, then clothes off in on throughout the years, I have been
crocheting for many years, and have made so many Afghans (all where
given away) but my love to make a quilt started oh, about in the early 90s.
I saw a show on TV about cutting up and using your child baby clothes to
make into a quilts. Of coarse I had to try it.
And I sure did not know what I was doing, but I got busy, and made a big
mess.. cutting all shapes and sizes. until it was a big sewed together
sheet looking thing. I kept this for many years. until I threw it away.

It was a few more years and a few more Afghans later that It dawn on me,
that Maybe I could learn how to Quilt online.. so I typed up a search,
and finding many Quilting Groups, and many online pages on how to quilt.
But the more I learned, the more confused I became, So many questions,a
nd no answers..

So I turned to a few Web page groups, asked a few questions, without
answers..
It wasn't until I think in 02, that I found this newsgroup.. Joined up..
and found wonderful, good hearted people, that where willing to teach me
and answer my questions (no matter how funny they where) with love and
caring.

Back in 1992 I receive my very first Sewing machine, (a Kenmore, which
is what I still sew on today and we paid close to 300.00 for it, which I
thought was out of this world for a sewing machine,, and still do. LOL)
I found a lovely sewing machine cabinet for it a few years back, (used
very hard.. but only for 50.00) which I just love. Which sure has made
Quilting a lot better!!
I machine piece and Machine Quilt, but would love to learn how to hand
Quilt.

To date: I have finish up 7 quilts. I have one that is finished and
ready to pin and Quilt. I also have an 04 mystery quilt to work up and
the 05 that just came out.
I was hoping to finish up at least two before the new year started, but
finishing up an Afghan (whom someone here was kind enough send me) some
pretty yarn a year back to give to my Grandmother. has taken first
place. I have been really itching to get back to quilting now. But I
know how I am, If I start on Quilting the Afghan will never get done. LOL
I am sure I can do all the Quilting I would like to see done..

The Quilting could not have been done without this group, Not only does
RCTQ help you quilt, but it provides you a place to become yourself, the
good and the bad, the highs in life and the lows in life.
and it goes to show you, just how we are all stitched together in the
web of life.

Old January 4th 05, 05:00 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

As newbies come and introduce themselves, we all say "hi" back to them. But,
while we learn a bit about them, they don't get to know us very easily. (ok,
except for a few gabby folks.... ;-P ) So, as a start to a new year, I
thought it would be fun to tell a bit about ourselves, and get to know each
other. I'm sure the newbies aren't the only one trying to keep the players
straight without a score card!

Ok, here goes! I'm Wendy, posting as "frood". I live in Central NC, USA. I'm
married to a fabulous man, and we have 5 kids, ranging from 13 to 4 yo
twins, known online as Spike and Giles. I've been quilting for about 7 or 8
years, mostly machine piecing and machine quilting. I love bright colors,
and I collect vintage textiles.

What fun! I'm Sandy (see below g) and have been quilting since
about 1985. I started out machine piecing and hand quilting, but now I
also do some machine quilting -- both are so different and wonderful!

I've been married for almost 33 years, and we have two grown DDs, both
married. We also have four grandsons (two from each DD), aged almost
six, almost four (two of them -- first cousins) and six months. I'm a
56-year-old retired high school French teacher and am currently tutoring
some students in that language. We have two QIs, Dexter and Tuppence,
though Tuppence takes her duties a bit more seriously than does Dexter.
He mostly waits for the finished product so he can nap -- but then,
he's ten now, so I guess he's entitled. Tuppence tends to keep me
company in my sewing room and await any opportunity to plunk down on a
project, finished or un. You can see some of my work at the web site
listed below.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old January 4th 05, 05:07 AM
hfw

I'm Heidi, posting as rav2b...and hoping to change the posting name in June
when I graduate from rabbinical school and become a full-fledged rabbi. Been
living in the Philadelphia area for the past 5.5 years while I've been in
school. Lived in MN for the 25 years before that, after growing up in
Florida and then living in Germany for three years.

Married since 1973 to a total sweetheart who indulges me terribly. I mean,
really--he picks stuff out in fabric stores and says, "shouldn't you have
this for your stash?" Quick learner--I've only been quilting a little over a
year. But I'm totally hooked and have spent a small fortune (that we don't
have!). DH says, however, that it's still cheaper than therapy.

In addition to FT school, I do a variety of chaplaincy/rabbinical stuff. DH
is a music teacher in a Phila public school (argh!).

We have two grown kids, one granddaughter, and two nutty Scotties who serve
as QIs and have us hopelessly wrapped around their dewclaws.

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

HOUSTON IQF, was Houston Quilt Show Roll Call Kellie J. Berger Quilting 50 October 27th 04 01:40 AM
Houston Quilt Show Roll Call nana2b Quilting 41 October 20th 04 03:21 AM
OT -- CA ROLL CALL BeckiBead Beads 51 November 12th 03 02:49 AM
ROLL CALL: Fall One-to-One Plaid Fat Quarter Swap Melissa in NJ Quilting 25 November 4th 03 05:02 PM
Fort Washington Show roll call AliceW Quilting 8 September 19th 03 11:55 PM