And time for

Old December 4th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default And time for

says...

Am I the only one around here who actually buys books??

Yes, you are! I stopped buying books several years after moved into this condo.
I was rearranging things and was appalled at the space my collection of
fiction, not classics or references, took up. After taking most of them to the
used book store or donating them, I get my fiction from the library .

My book cases are now bulging with stitching (needlework, embroidery,
'regular' sewing) and other crafting titles.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old December 5th 08, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Am I the only one around here who actually buys books?? *I see lots of
people who spend $$$$$$$$$ on needlework supplies, but very few who
spend money on books.

Just the impression I get from reading here.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I buy books. Needlework books, cookbooks, poetry, and the occasional
non-fiction book. All fiction comes from the library. If I bought all
the fiction I read, I would have died under a landslide of books many,
many years ago.

Donna in Virginia
Old December 5th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/4/08 6:46 AM, "Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

What are you reading?

Just finished - Open Ice by Jack Falla. Great book, really recommend this
for the hockey fans. Ellice and Sara - buy this for the DH's and then read
it yourself.

Will check it out, thanks. I'm basically going through the batch I borrowed
from Ericka! DH is on travel for work next week - Mon-Fri, so while he's
warm in Charleston, I'll be able to catch up on some reading.

*snip*

Ellice

Old December 5th 08, 02:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/4/08 11:33 AM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
What are you reading?

Just finished:

The Bodies Left Behind, by Jeffrey Deaver - unevenly paced mystery
thriller. Terrific first half kind of fizzles out and goes on too long.

The Private Patient, by PD James - still evaluating this one. It was
carefully crafted, but maybe too much so. A little *too* well-mannered,
if you know what I mean.

Currently reading:

Dewey, the Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron
with Bret Witter - an absolute charmer of a book, a tribute to cats and
small towns and libraries at the heart of them. Will order a copy of
this for my mom for Christmas!

(It helps that Dewey looks almost exactly like my cat Taz, and has a
similar history. When I read it, I have my own Dewey asleep in my lap!)

Just picked up the new Patricia Cornwall yesterday...that's next.

"Scarpetta? The new release in hardback. I finally read Book of the Dead a
couple of months ago - it was good.

Ellice

Old December 5th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/4/08 3:40 PM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

Olwyn Mary wrote:

Am I the only one around here who actually buys books?? I see lots of
people who spend $$$$$$$$$ on needlework supplies, but very few who
spend money on books.

Just the impression I get from reading here.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I'm a library girl all the way. I think of it this way: in needlework
supplies, $25 can keep me busy for *months*. A book - maybe a week,
tops! Needlework is really one of the cheapest hobbies around, on a
per-hour basis!

LOL - Sue, you always have such great reasoning! I'm a mix of expensive
hobbies. Fortunately the needlework & painting do give a lot of time
involvement for the $$.

(But I will buy books from the library book sale...yesterday I spent
$4.40 on 19 hardcover and 4 paperback books. Two for me, three for
holiday gifts, and the balance to give to a friend who teaches in an
inner-city school. Got lots of YA titles for her. A good day, I'd call it!)

sue

I'm a mix about library and buying. When the $$ are more free, we spend
more on books. But, I love to use the library, especially as I'm usually a
fast reader. However, I'm prone to missing due dates. There are some
authors that I'll buy about everything they write. Many, many books here.
Enough that even in our strict budget sense the furniture we need to buy for
the lower level - 3 large bookcases (can you say Billy and Ikea). Need
space to finish the unpacking.

Ellice

Old December 5th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/4/08 3:42 PM, "Queencityxstitcher"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
What are you reading?

Just finished - Open Ice by Jack Falla. Great book, really recommend this
for the hockey fans. Ellice and Sara - buy this for the DH's and then read
it yourself.

At work: Foul Play - one of those Janet Evanovich reprints. (yes between
phone calls, I read or do cross word puzzles)

On the throne: Cretaceous Dawn - bunch of scientists get thrown back in time
due to an experiment gone wrong. This may just go back to the library soon.
Plot looks good, but the writing is only so-so.

True leisure time reading - Fortune and Fate - the latest of the Sharon
Shinn Twelfth House books. I really love diving into these and losing
myself.

Cheryl

Just finished "There be Dragons", by Sharon Penman. A long historical
novel, but a wonderful read of 13th century Wales, and this is the first
of a trio.

Good trilogy. IIRC, I liked the Justin De Quincy series as well, though I
think I haven't read the last one.

Also finished "One Silent Night" by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Continuing Dark
Hunter Saga. Where vampires meet the gods and goddess roaming our
present day. Includes the Were-Hunters and Dream Hunters.

"Heart Fate" By Robin Owens. Celta planet series.

Interesting choices.
And I do by my books. Bobbie V.

Ellice

Old December 5th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/4/08 4:06 PM, "Ericka" wrote:

Olwyn Mary wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

What are you reading?

Maureen is eagerly looking forwards to reading Bernard Cornwell's
latest book "Azincourt". She ordered it from the local library fully
expecting to be put on a long waiting list but was delighted when the
mobile library arrived on its monthly visit and the book was there for
her

Am I the only one around here who actually buys books?? I see lots of
people who spend $$$$$$$$$ on needlework supplies, but very few who
spend money on books.

Just the impression I get from reading here.

I'm just too embarrassed to point out how many
books I buy when I have a perfectly good library nearby ;-)
Some days I think I'm single-handedly keeping the bookstores
afloat. I have a bad habit of taking the morning off,
grabbing a book or two, and spending the morning at
La Madeleine reading them.

Wow - almost like being in France.... I used to really like their "French"
coffee. Good thing is that you do share! And you are close to the library
- and the B&N. I'm happy to keep borrowing! Though I have a stack to
return soon. I just found 2 way overdue, formerly lost, books from the
Reston library. Think I'll have to go retunr them.

Ellice

Old December 5th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/5/08 8:33 AM, "Donna" wrote:

Am I the only one around here who actually buys books?? *I see lots of
people who spend $$$$$$$$$ on needlework supplies, but very few who
spend money on books.

Just the impression I get from reading here.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I buy books. Needlework books, cookbooks, poetry, and the occasional
non-fiction book. All fiction comes from the library. If I bought all
the fiction I read, I would have died under a landslide of books many,
many years ago.

Donna in Virginia

It's pretty true here as well. Though I've become very judicious as to what
books I actually buy for references. Particularly with cookbooks. Plus,
here, we have the duelling sets of technical references - as we go through
cases of things. Just feel compelled to keep soooo many of the engineering
books, etc. Added to your list - I also have a fair amount of "art" books.
References, etc. They seem to be huge so often.

Ellice

Old December 5th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queencityxstitcher

wrote:

Just finished "There be Dragons", by Sharon Penman. A long historical
novel, but a wonderful read of 13th century Wales, and this is the first
of a trio.

Good trilogy. IIRC, I liked the Justin De Quincy series as well, though I
think I haven't read the last one.
Also finished "One Silent Night" by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Continuing Dark
Hunter Saga. Where vampires meet the gods and goddess roaming our
present day. Includes the Were-Hunters and Dream Hunters.

"Heart Fate" By Robin Owens. Celta planet series.

Interesting choices.
And I do by my books. Bobbie V.

Ellice

With the pain of fibro, I'll read anything to escape. I also just
finished a series by Donita Paul, her dragon series. Included
Dragonquest, Dragonspell thru to Dragon Light. Five books in all and
quick reading.It is considered teen Christian fantasy.

I also read "The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan, and "Queen of Swords
by Sara Donita. QoS takes place in New Orleans during the War of 1812
and is also part of a series, "Into the Wilderness".

I tend to read instead of watching tv and keep going til the muscle
relaxer won't let me focus properly. Even then I've been known to shut
one eye and continue reading. LOLL

Bobbie V.
Old December 5th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka

ellice wrote:
On 12/4/08 4:06 PM, "Ericka" wrote:

I'm just too embarrassed to point out how many
books I buy when I have a perfectly good library nearby ;-)
Some days I think I'm single-handedly keeping the bookstores
afloat. I have a bad habit of taking the morning off,
grabbing a book or two, and spending the morning at
La Madeleine reading them.

Wow - almost like being in France.... I used to really like their "French"
coffee. Good thing is that you do share!

I always use that as my justification, but at
some point it's a little thin when all the bookshelves
are filled to overflowing and books are stacking up
around you everywhere... ;-)

And you are close to the library - and the B&N.

Dangerously close...

I'm happy to keep borrowing!

If you borrow enough at a time, my stacks won't
be so big ;-)

Though I have a stack to
return soon. I just found 2 way overdue, formerly lost, books from the
Reston library. Think I'll have to go retunr them.

Oops... That's what I do when I check out books.
They mingle with my books and hide, and then they get very
overdue. I worked as a librarian a lot at college, and
still had overdue books. Bad me.

Best wishes,
Ericka