Threads

Old September 2nd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dixie Sugar

Default Threads

What is the best kind of thread to use for quilting?

Brenda

Old September 2nd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

LOL How long is a piece of thread?

Hand or machine?
What type of fabric?
What style of quilting?

Brace yourself for a possible avalanche of responses (which
I will watch with interest too).

Cheryl & the Cats
_ o _ o 0 0
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
~ ~ U
Enness Boofhead Donut
Starting to wake from hibernation!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Dixie Sugar" wrote in message
: What is the best kind of thread to use for quilting?
:
: Brenda
:
:

Old September 2nd 06, 06:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Yes.

Ragmop/Sandy

Old September 2nd 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Cheryl is *so* right!
But - this is what I do:
If it is a wallhanging which is not going to get rough-handling and
infrequent washing, I use anything that takes my fancy. Quite often it
will be Madeira rayon thread, or Sulky variegated rayon thread.
If the quilt will get well used, I would probably use cotton thread YLI
or Aurifil, and quite often that would also be variegated.
I'm no expert on thread, and these are just my own preferences.
..
In message , Dixie Sugar
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 2nd 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

I like YLI for hand quilting and their silk for applique. I use
Mettler for everything else.

If I have to use fishing line (nylon thread) I use Mettler. But I
still don't like it much, it is too shiny, it catches the light, so
showing up more than a cotton thread would. Kinda defeats the object
imho.

I also use Thread Heaven for hand quilting, it gets rid of any knotty
problems.

Nel
(Gadget Queen)

Old September 2nd 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

There is a matt invisible, Nel, but I'm afraid I don't know who makes
it.
..
In message . com,
Sartorresartus writes

Old September 2nd 06, 11:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Dixie Sugar wrote:

What is the best kind of thread to use for quilting?

Brenda

For utility quilting that looks really good, I like a good quality
cotton. YLI make some darling ones - I adore stripy thread! And it
really stands up to the washing.

For more esoteric quilting, I use whatever suits, even metallic
embroidery thread.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 2nd 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate Dicey

Sartorresartus wrote:

I like YLI for hand quilting and their silk for applique. I use
Mettler for everything else.

If I have to use fishing line (nylon thread) I use Mettler. But I
still don't like it much, it is too shiny, it catches the light, so
showing up more than a cotton thread would. Kinda defeats the object
imho.

I also use Thread Heaven for hand quilting, it gets rid of any knotty
problems.

We all do things so differently...

I hated the Thread Heaven when I had some. Didn't I pass it on to you,
Nel? I found it made the thread slightly tacky, and thought the
occasional knot easier to cope with.

I need to try some of the YLI silk thread for quilting. I have some of
their 100 weight, which I find brilliant for machined buttonholes and
hand finishes on all sorts of garments, but i want some of the hevier
50's weight for quilting...

I just got some seriously fab silk dupion samples through (some plain a
lot of shot), and am thinking in terms of an Amish style quilt in
silk... It's about the same price as decent cotton! £8.50-£10.50 per
m. That would be a good excuse for some more silk thread, and a silk
batting...

Old September 2nd 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Don't scream at me folks, but when I do hand quilting I use Coats and Clark
quilting thread. It is stiffer then regular cotton thread and doesn't get
snarled up, and never "pills" or splits. I have tried to use regular cotton
thread but it tends to break unless you use really short pieces. Maybe I
pull too hard...

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old September 2nd 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Kate Dicey wrote:

I need to try some of the YLI silk thread for quilting. I have some of
their 100 weight, which I find brilliant for machined buttonholes and
hand finishes on all sorts of garments, but i want some of the hevier
50's weight for quilting...

Kate, I'm currently using the YLI 100wt silk thread for machine quilting
my feathered star piece, and I've used it once previously, on a Hunter's
Star. It's heaven! It gives a subtle effect, with the thread sort of
melting into the fabric but still giving it definition -- perfect for
when you don't want the quilting to be the star but you still want it to
look nice. In addition, when you have to go back over your quilting
lines again, it doesn't pile up as much as a heavier thread does. I'm in
love.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1