Crewel work.

Old August 31st 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Alex Corvinus

Default Crewel work.

I was waiting in the outpatient waiting room for Cancer Screening at
M. D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. Lord Love us, a woman was
working a hoop in the next chair.

I asked if she was doing CX, and she responded, "No, that means I have
to count, and I'll be damned if I'm going back to that!"

She was doing a crewel piece, but some of the stitches were large
cross-stitches. Before I could tell her of the Sistine Chapel piece, I
was called.

Good news: No Melanoma. I'm clean!!

But it proved to me: stitchers are a clan.

tbtg! Lord love us, we all need it.

Alex, with blessings to all.

Old September 3rd 10, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
blkndvudu[_2_]

Very glad to hear that you got a clean bill of health. I've always
wanted to try Crewel and Needlepoint, Bargello but nobody I know knows
how. I bought the Carolyn Ambuter complete book of needlepoint
thinking that I could teach myself some stitches but I've been waylaid
by the counted cross stitch piece Sleepy Hollow (the one with the
Headless Horseman carrying his pumpkin head).
Old September 4th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

I have the Ambuter book in my collection too. * I wonder how many of us own
it?

Lucille

I've got a copy. I see this book all the time at used bookstores.

Donna in Virginia
Old September 5th 10, 12:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Earl WAS Crewel work.

On 9/4/10 7:09 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 06:26:36 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 9/3/10 6:53 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 18:05:41 -0700 (PDT), blkndvudu
wrote:

Very glad to hear that you got a clean bill of health. I've always
wanted to try Crewel and Needlepoint, Bargello but nobody I know knows
how. I bought the Carolyn Ambuter complete book of needlepoint
thinking that I could teach myself some stitches but I've been waylaid
by the counted cross stitch piece Sleepy Hollow (the one with the
Headless Horseman carrying his pumpkin head).

The Art of Crewel Embroidery by Mildred Davis is my favourite crewel
book - old, too old for an ISBN number - but found usually on places
like alibris.com. Carolyn Ambuters canvas book is also excellent.

I'm going to add the Davis book to my "wish list". I have the Ambuters book
and love it.

She has some delightfully 50s stuff in it but the bones are great. I
have often used parts of her designs for specific things, her
suggestion.

Did you get the wind yesterday ? Earl is just coming in now, some
high gusts and apparently the course has changed somewhat and it will
hit more towards Halifax and let that Sharon in NB get off lightly
again ! Actually it's a good thing if it is nearer here and leaves
the valley area better off, poor farmers, the trees covered in nearly
ripe apples etc.

Saw some rain and a little wind. My Mom on Cape Cod saw a little more wind,
but nothing much compared to past storms with less press.

Cheryl