Minor Thread Epiphany

Old December 14th 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default Minor Thread Epiphany

So, on-tpoic, actually - I had a minor epiphany - or better stated
remembrance. I've been back to working on my Twister project, which I'm
doping in Needlepoint Inc silks on 24 ct congress cloth, and had this ping
of a reminder. I LOVE working with silk. I've spent so much of the last
few months stitching with cottons, metallics, & funky odd kind of threads I
almost forgot how nice this is to stitch with. Especially as this past week
I've been working through all the borderlines, dividing lines, in perle
cotton on my black canvas. And that has been rough on the hands - however
I've forced myself to be disciplined in order to get all the substantial
outlining done before I plunge into all the fun stuff.

Anyway, since I was supposed to be teaching another Twister session, I
decided to spend all day yesterday working on it - thinking of it a little
as a chore. But, surprise - once I got settled, and started working - aahhh
- so nice - it just felt great to be stitching along, with this lovely soft,
silk. Have to say - I'm finishing one of the more difficult stitch
combination motifs now - yet even so - I'm really loving working on this
piece (even if it's really hard to be sure all the intersections are covered
with the correct thread - lots of compensation).

So, has anyone else had a similar kind of experience - a thread you love,
reawakening the pleasure stitching zone?

Ellice

Old December 14th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Dec 14, 2:28*pm, ellice wrote:
[...]

Not with a particular thread, but I had that reawakening just last
night. I was finally able to a) sit and stitch, and b) just for fun,
not because I was frantically finishing a gift, or making a costume
somebody desperately needed (whole other post!). It was so nice and
relaxing and fun! I've been looking longingly at my stitching corner
the last few weeks, but haven't been able to spend much time there.
Just the time of year.

Louisa
Old December 15th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

Not exactly with a type of thread but I've thoroughly enjoyed doing the crewel
kits that I bought at the rummage sale. I found it very relaxing to follow the
directions and not to have to think about what stitch or fiber might look good.

Yes! I also love that feeling AND having someone else pick the colors
to go together!

Linda
Old December 18th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/15/08 10:45 AM, "lewmew" wrote:

Not exactly with a type of thread but I've thoroughly enjoyed doing the
crewel
kits that I bought at the rummage sale. I found it very relaxing to follow
the
directions and not to have to think about what stitch or fiber might look
good.

Yes! I also love that feeling AND having someone else pick the colors
to go together!

Linda

LOL - I think that is part of why for some of the pieces I've taught people
are so happy to get a different colorway - and they don't have to do the
"work" . Just sort of picking a starting point, and then having me pull it
all together - which could really be work at times.

Ellice

OT - A minor survey Sharon Harper Quilting 36 September 30th 04 01:55 AM
Epiphany! Kalera Stratton Beads 9 August 12th 04 05:38 AM
Free Motion Quilting Epiphany!! Lizzy Taylor Quilting 3 April 9th 04 10:42 PM
A minor setback Christina Peterson Beads 2 July 9th 03 05:22 AM