sewing box - HELP!

Old December 20th 04, 08:35 PM
Kathy Morgan

AmazeR wrote:

[flat irons heated on top of the wood stove]
[shudder] When I was little, I actually found one of these in Mums
cupboard! Apparantly, it was Dads before he got married!! I wonder if he
ever used it? LOL

*laugh* I've used them, when I was little. We lived in a remote village
and had electricity only during school hours. We did have a flat topped
oil cookstove (it looked very like the old wood stoves) to heat the
irons on; you'd use two flat irons and use one while the other reheated,
then switch them.

--
Kathy - help for new users at http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at http://www.gnksa.org/
Old December 21st 04, 12:45 AM
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:34:30 -0800, "Valkyrie"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
I'm a real sci-fi buff and have read everything by Asimov and
Heinlein, and I'm finishing up Niven's "Ringworld's Children",
the last unread novel by that wonderful author. Who's next?

One of the "read again" series of books in my own personal library......the
Callahan's Saloon series by Spider Robinson. I found the whole series at a
garage sale years ago. It was already pretty 'well read' when I bought it.
That particular series has been read by me 3 times, all the boys several
times each as well as many of their friends and mine. One of the best and
'funnest' sci-fi, IMO.

I'll have copies of Dan Simmons' "Hyperion" and Roger Zelazny's "This
Immortal" waiting for me when I next make it to the local library.

I've reread both Asimov and Heinlein (after 30 years), then found
Niven. I'm glad for all 3.

Well, time to call my sewing machine guy and see where my manual and
smaller pulley are. The thing is waaaay too fast for me.

BTW, my new Consew 210 machine is named Cirrus, the original Universal
machine is tagged as Uma. I knew you'd want to know. ;

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Old December 21st 04, 01:18 AM
melinda

Valkyrie wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news

I'm a real sci-fi buff and have read everything by Asimov and
Heinlein, and I'm finishing up Niven's "Ringworld's Children",
the last unread novel by that wonderful author. Who's next?

One of the "read again" series of books in my own personal library......the
Callahan's Saloon series by Spider Robinson. I found the whole series at a
garage sale years ago. It was already pretty 'well read' when I bought it.
That particular series has been read by me 3 times, all the boys several
times each as well as many of their friends and mine. One of the best and
'funnest' sci-fi, IMO.

Val

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Although not truely Sci-fi, they're
still a very good read, nearly 30 books in the series now!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old December 21st 04, 03:11 AM
CySew

I used the washboard and the flat irons heated on an oil stove. During the
depression, many people did not have electricity or gas with which to cook.
I remember when I was about 10, I suppose, I made my first silk dress and
asked my DGM to press it for me because I was afraid. She refused, however
she stood next to me, watching and encouraging me.
Emily

Old December 21st 04, 07:22 AM
Scare Crowe

Taking you back even further I can remember my Mother and Granny
building a fire under a big black kettle in the back yard ......Winter,
Summer, it didn't matter but when Monday came you could depend on them
hauling the water for the pot. And when the clothes froze on the line
it looked like the clothes we cut out for our paper dolls.

Old December 21st 04, 04:54 PM
Larry Jaques

On 21 Dec 2004 01:18:31 GMT, melinda calmly ranted:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Although not truely Sci-fi, they're
still a very good read, nearly 30 books in the series now!

I tried to read his stuff once and couldn't get comfy with his style.
After one evening, I was so tired from trying to translate that I
gave up. Luckily, most authors don't use 37 consecutive adjectives.
sigh But thanks for the suggestion. That's how I found Larry Niven
last year, and now I've read every single one of his books, thoroughly
enjoying them all.

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Old December 21st 04, 08:51 PM
CySew

Our wash day was Saturday morning, Mother lit the fire, and after I was 11
or so, I was in charge of getting the clothes in/out of the kettle. Mind
you, DM always reminded me, "They must be rinsed three times" to make
certain all soap was removed.
Emily

Old December 22nd 04, 02:22 AM
AmazeR

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 02:22:26 -0500, Scare Crowe wrote:

Taking you back even further I can remember my Mother and Granny
building a fire under a big black kettle in the back yard ......Winter,
Summer, it didn't matter but when Monday came you could depend on them
hauling the water for the pot. And when the clothes froze on the line
it looked like the clothes we cut out for our paper dolls.

Heh! Dad had one of those too.... But it didn't get lit very often. In
fact, I think my brothers and sisters and I once cooked an eel in it we
had caught in the river on the back of our farm. LOL

We lived 12 miles from the mountain but never got snow! We did get ice on
the puddles and heavy frosts in the winter though.

Mavis

--
http://linuxathome.ath.cx/~mavis/blog/index.php

Old December 22nd 04, 07:07 AM
Kathy Morgan

Larry Jaques wrote:

On 21 Dec 2004 01:18:31 GMT, melinda calmly ranted:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Although not truely Sci-fi, they're
still a very good read, nearly 30 books in the series now!

I tried to read his stuff once and couldn't get comfy with his style.

Same here; I've read a couple of his books and never did get comfy. I'm
more sure than ever that you'll enjoy James White and Hal Clement. If
you haven't already read them, you'll probably also enjoy most of Arthur
C. Clarke's work, if you can close your mind to the occasional appalling
flaw in the underlying science on which a work is based.

--
Kathy - read reviews of other newsgroups in news:news.groups.reviews
Old December 22nd 04, 07:29 AM
Trish Brown

One of my earliest memories was of a truly magical man called Terry Stair.
He came to my Nanna's every couple of days with his big truck loaded with
blocks of ice. He would lift the burlap cover from over the ice, select the
nearest block by chiselling it away from its neighbours and then pick it up
with a hunormous pair of iron pincers and leather gloves. He'd hoist the
white, steaming block into the ice box that lived under the stairs and Nanna
would give him a coin (can't remember if it was sixpence or a bob). Then,
he'd leave, tousling my hair on his way out.

The magical thing about Terry Stair was his ability to blow large pink
bubbles right out of his mouth! He did this spontaneously and my sister and
I believed he kept a Great Bottle of soap-and-water gargle in the cab of his
truck. In fact, he had a sister of his own who lived in America and who sent
him regular supplies of bubblegum! (Unheard-of here in Oz at that time).

*Years* later, when I was a teenager, Terry Stair was no longer the Ice Man.
He worked, instead, on the loading dock at DJ's in Town. I had acquired a
baby pigeon that followed my Dad home one day. There wasn't any money to buy
a large fancy cage, so Terry Stair got hold of a great big packing case for
me. It was wooden and had held a fridge. Dad made a wire door for it and
that was the beginning of my years as a pigeon fancier! My first pair had
their first few clutches of eggs in that cage and I went on to acquire a
whole entire flock of my own. But if it hadn't been for Terry Stair and his
kindness in getting me that first cage, I'd never have known the exquisite
satisfaction of owning a huge flock of homing pigeons! ;-D