Pictures of my lap afghan & doll

Old March 1st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Pictures of my lap afghan & doll

Just thought I'd share pictures of the lap afghan so far .. and the 'after
surgery' doll I made my sister. You can see the problem I have with all the
'tied off' ends along the edge.

So far the lapghan (?) is 27" x 18", but I'm making it larger .. probably at
least 3 times longer.

Pictures: http://home.twcny.rr.com/kittykatz/one.html

Scroll down for link to doll ...

Hugs,
Dee

Old March 2nd 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 22:17:44 GMT, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

Just thought I'd share pictures of the lap afghan so far .. and the 'after
surgery' doll I made my sister. You can see the problem I have with all the
'tied off' ends along the edge.

Beginning crocheters tend to have this problem with the ends hanging
out, because most people teach you how to crochet, but not how to
finish it neatly! I remember I did the same thing, cut the yarn
really short after changing colors for a stripe and it left my work
with ends hanging out, and though I crocheted over some on the wrong
side, they popped out after washing.

Here's how to fix it: Keep working the stripes like you are, but
instead of leaving only 1/2 inch of yarn hanging, leave more like 4-8
inches, depending on how secure you want the ends woven in. I
recommend 8 inches of yarn.

Next, take a tapestry needle, which is a big blunt needle with a large
eye (mine is 2-3/4 inches long with an about 3/4 inch eye), and thread
the yarn into it. I got one of those permanent needle threaders that
does both thread and yarn so I don't have to keep buying threaders to
work with yarn, because those wire ones don't last long with yarn for
me.

After the yarn end is threaded onto the needle, determine which side
of your afghan is the wrong side, as this is the side you'll be
weaving the end in on.

Run the yarn through the last row of the color of the end across the
back under the legs that stick down for at least 6 stitches. I
usually go across 8 now.

Now, turn your work around, and you'll be going back the same
direction you just came from. Only this time, use the blunt end of
the needle to split the stitches and the end you've just threaded
through those stitches, weaving up and down back across securing both
sides of that running thread by going through it and the legs of the
stitches you first pulled the end under. Stop before you reach the
edge of your afghan on the weaving return, so you go into the afghan 8
stitches, but come back only 4-6. If you want it really secure, go
out 8 and come back 5, so you are 3 from the edge, and your end won't
poke out at the edge. Now, the hardest part. Make absolutely sure
you pull the yarn snug, but not tight to secure your weaving, or it
will warp some stitches. Then, being very careful not to cut your
afghan, take scissors and snip that pesky yarn end as close to the
afghan as possible.

Since I started darning in my ends like that, I've never had a loose
end, and after washing articles, I've had trouble finding where I wove
those ends in. Plus, since I don't knot my yarns to change colors,
I've never had work unravel in teh wash anymore either.

To cover the ends you already have, You have 2 options. Take yarn of
the same color and knot it tightly to the ends you have and weave it
in, being careful to secure those knots under 1-2 stitches on the
back, or put a decorative edging around the whole thing when you're
done. I'd probably do both to make sure the work won't unravel. You
might take some washable fabric glue to further ensure those knots
don't come undone if you splice yarn for weaving in the ends you've
got so far.

BTW, since I learned that finishing trick, I've never regretted
leaving an extra long tail. It's the short ones I've had trouble
securing so the work looks the neatest.

HTH

Leah

New Studio Pictures! Dawn >^..^ Beads 28 November 30th 05 06:55 PM
Huggers & Hug recipients & anyone that has pictures of hugs Terbear Quilting 7 April 25th 05 12:51 AM
AOL Pictures warning - OT Rusty1215 Yarn 4 September 17th 04 05:13 AM
OT - "New" Yoda Pictures! DavesFatChick Quilting 17 October 20th 03 05:29 PM