ROSEWOOD CROCHET HOOKS - SIZES F THRU S

Old April 28th 04, 05:47 PM
DEBORAH DOYLE

Default ROSEWOOD CROCHET HOOKS - SIZES F THRU S

I make wooden crochet hooks and knitting needles in a species of
rosewood, which are wildly popular. I've have been making them for 15
years and sell to Lacis (a big distributor of handwork supplies), to
yarn and knitting stores, and to an increasing number of avid
individuals who've first met me at a craft show and who keep in touch
with me thru a mailing list I maintain. In response to demand I've
begun to make wooden handles for steel hooks - I cut the steel hook
off a Boye hook just below it's finger rest and glue it into my
intricately turned handle for a resultant overall length of just under
7". People have begun to ask me to make SETS of the steel hooks
available and I'm writing to ask whether some of the steel sizes are
more popular than others (so should I make a set of 10, available?) or
whether I should go ahead and make the entire set of 18 (this is the
full boye set of 14 - sizes 00 thru 14 plus the two additional sizes
Lacis has, which are .4mm as well as .5mm).

So- what are the most popular steel sizes? I have crocheted but
mostly I'm a knitter and so use hooks only when finishing off a
knitted piece. I've never crocheted with thread OR yarn and am sort
of at sea as to what to offer.

I make my wooden hooks available in sets of 6 and usually send out
either the smaller set (the most popular until very recently. This
smaller set contains sizes F thru K, inclusive) or the larger set
(sizes L thru Q, inclusive, though I also insert larger sizes in lieu
of one or more of these if asked to). What I'm wondering is whether
the complicated and pretty cases I sew up for the wooden sets of six
can be used for the steel sets - this means someone would have to get
three sets to accumulate all of the steel sizes) or should I make a
set of 10, thereby eliminating some of the lesser used sizes?
Anyone's experience would be invaluable here if you've a moment to
give it to me...

At the moment I don't have my own website though my hooks may be
viewed at URLhttp://sattvagallery.com/rocrhosetofs.html and at
http://sattvagallery.com/rocrhosetofs1.html. I'll send a catalogue
to those who request it, but please know that my purpose here is not
to advertise - I'm trying to find out how to approach making my
rosewood-handled steel crochet hooks available in sets containing the
most commonly used steel sizes. I've seen the Greydog hooks on ebay
had have been told by several very active (and well-known) crocheters
that my hooks are superior to theirs, though not being much of a
crocheted myself I can't tell. Perhaps it is the wood I use, or maybe
the finger rest I place in my pieces, which they don't, or maybe the
shape of my hook is slightly different (my hook resembles a boye but
it is not a perfect boye, being a scooch bit fatter).

Thanks for thinking about this, apologies for it being so long,
Deborah Doyle