On line supply buying.

Old October 10th 03, 03:03 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default On line supply buying.

Hello,
Sorry if this has been a recent thread. I've been out of touch.
I checked Google for on-line places to buy pottery supplies and
there were thousands. For those of you who buy on-line, who do you
recommend for the best prices and widest selection?
For starters, I've looked for a supplier of ready-made Terra
Sigillata, and can't find it offered anywhere (but I have seen a
commercial container of it, so know it exists). I am working mostly
with low fire earthenware, majolica, and other colorants.
Thanks. I am in North Carolina, and would prefer the supplier
not to be in Australia, California, etc., but on the east coast of the
USA.
Kira
Old October 10th 03, 04:58 PM
Lindsay MacArthur

I personally like Axner Company, Inc. at www.axner.com. Product and
shipping prices are decent. I mostly buy from a local supplier but
when I need something they don't have Axner usually has it in stock.
Laguna Clay at www.lagunaclay.com is also a good place to look. My
local supplier gets a lot of their stock from there so I don't often
go directly through the site (except for the big stuff like my wheel).
I do high fire so I'm not certain these sites will have everything you
are looking for but maybe they're a good start.

Old October 10th 03, 11:05 PM
wayneinkeywest

Hello,
Sorry if this has been a recent thread. I've been out of touch.
I checked Google for on-line places to buy pottery supplies and
there were thousands. For those of you who buy on-line, who do you
recommend for the best prices and widest selection?
For starters, I've looked for a supplier of ready-made Terra
Sigillata, and can't find it offered anywhere (but I have seen a
commercial container of it, so know it exists). I am working mostly
with low fire earthenware, majolica, and other colorants.
Thanks. I am in North Carolina, and would prefer the supplier
not to be in Australia, California, etc., but on the east coast of the
USA.
Kira

Kira:
Let me check with a potter friend in NC near Greensboro
and see where she gets hers online.
Anything you can save in shipping lets you buy more.
Wayne in Key West

Old October 11th 03, 02:13 PM
wayneinkeywest

Kira:
My friend in the Greensboro area does not buy online. She says that her
supplier is about an hour away, and she enjoys the chance to get out and go
shopping.
You might try going to www.claytimes.com and seeing what suppliers are
listed close to your area.

In addition to axner, there is Bennett Pottery, Miami Clay, quite a few in
GA. Do a www.Google.com search on "pottery suppliers NC" and see what that
brings up.

Best of Luck,
Wayne in Key West

Old October 13th 03, 07:20 PM
Kira Dirlik

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:13:15 -0400, "wayneinkeywest"
wrote:

Kira:
My friend in the Greensboro area does not buy online. She says that her
supplier is about an hour away, and she enjoys the chance to get out and go
shopping.

Thanks. I wonder which direction from Greensboro her supplier is. I
am about 1 1/4 hour from Greensboro. I buy most stuff from
Claymakers in Durham, but she doesn't stock everything I need.
Kira

Old October 14th 03, 07:23 PM
wayneinkeywest

Kira:
Not sure if your e-mail address is valid, so
here's Lisa's website. You can ask her
about her suppliers in the area.
(Wouldn't it be a hoot if you knew each other already? :)

http://www.living-tree.net

Best,
wayne