Have you ever felt "called" to make a quilt??

Old June 11th 05, 09:20 PM
Roberta

Default Have you ever felt "called" to make a quilt??

For some reason I have been really feeling the "need" to make a civil
war repro quilt...

I have googled and found some books about civil war quilts - all seem
to have mixed reviews.

Anyone have any experience researching vintage quilts? Can anyone
recommend a good book on quilts of this time period?

I figure with all of the amazing quilters we have around here someone
is BOUND to know something

Thanks

Roberta (in VA)
Old June 11th 05, 11:49 PM
Heather Michna

I have no info about the civil war quilt, but I have felt a "calling" from
some quilt patterns. Someday, I will make a Dresden Plate quilt. Right
now, I'm working on a baby quilt with black and white checkered background
and cars racing around it..I saw it and knew I had to make it.

news

Old June 12th 05, 12:51 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Roberta wrote:

For some reason I have been really feeling the "need" to make a civil
war repro quilt...

I have googled and found some books about civil war quilts - all seem
to have mixed reviews.

Anyone have any experience researching vintage quilts? Can anyone
recommend a good book on quilts of this time period?

I figure with all of the amazing quilters we have around here someone
is BOUND to know something

Thanks

Roberta (in VA)

I've got this one and am collecting repro's to make it with. The quilt
is 1870 - a bit later but close.

http://www.nearlyinsane.com/

There are some nice variations in the book that others have made and a
few online in the gallery.

marcella
Old June 12th 05, 03:58 AM
Jalynne

I can't recommed anything, but I have been called to make a quilt
before....in fact, still working on it. My hand pieced double nine
patch is ready for basting soon. Hopefully I'll have pieced the batting
together and be ready to baste in August after our vacation.

--
Jenn/Jalynne
navy Wife, homeschooling mom, 1st soprano in Tacoma Symphony Chorus
Old June 12th 05, 04:22 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

Yeahhhhhhhh! My UFO basket has been calling to me for years... LOL!!

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Heather Michna" wrote in message
I have no info about the civil war quilt, but I have felt a "calling" from
some quilt patterns. Someday, I will make a Dresden Plate quilt. Right
now, I'm working on a baby quilt with black and white checkered background
and cars racing around it..I saw it and knew I had to make it.

news

Old June 12th 05, 08:01 AM
Pati Cook

I have that book too. Finally got some fabric to use as a "key" for it.
One of these days.
BG
BTW, there is an e-list for Nearly Insane, I think it is a yahoo group.
If you are interested I can get more info for you if you can't find
it. A lot of the DJaners are also doing NI.

Pati, in Phx.

Old June 12th 05, 08:04 AM
Pati Cook

Roberta, there are several books out specifically about quilts and/or
women of the Civil War. Check titles by Barbara Brackman or Terry
Clothier Thompson. Of course the Dear Jane quilt is always there too. BEG
If you have questions about specific books I may be able to answer them,
one of my quilt groups has a study group going on Civil War and just
after quilts. And I have several of the books.

Pati, in Phx

Old June 13th 05, 12:45 PM
Marijke

yes! I've felt that calling.

I always said I'd never make a sampler quilt and that I'd never use
repro fabrics.

well.... never say never. A secret friend sent me a batch of repro fat
quarters. I had no idea what to do with them when one day, I found I
just HAD to make a sampler quilt and it just HAD to be from the repro
fabrics. And you know what? It's one of my favourite quilts now.

Marijke
in sweltering Montreal
see my quilts: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sesesi/my_photos