Silver jewelry question

Old August 27th 03, 12:13 PM
Pat Porter

Default Silver jewelry question

An excellent way of cleaning badly tarnished silver is to place a crumpled
sheet of cooking foil and a good handful of washing soda into a bowl, and
cover with boiling water. As it`s fizzing pop the snall items in and leave
for a few minutes. You`ll see them cleaning very fast - when clean enough,
take them out and rinse them and buff up with a soft clean cloth.

Pat P.

"LdyTegan" wrote in message
I know this is an odd question but here goes anyway.. I wear silver rings

and
noticed tonight that the tarnish had gotten a bit out of control

(actually,
I've known for some time, but finally took the time to pay attention). So,

hauled out the liquid stuff that I got at Walmart a while back and tried

it. I
have two different types, one for anything with a stone in it, which

apparently
is pretty mild, and those rings are just fine.. however... the rings that

are
strictly silver, I used a different cleaner.Same brand, but directions say

that
it's safe for solid silver (meaning no stones.. not solid silver) It must

be
stronger because in the time I spent brushing at particularly dark

tarnished
spots on my necklace (maybe 2-3 minutes), the solid silver rings have lost

all
their 'character'... the "good" tarnish that defines the details. (and

here
comes the silly question) Now, I know it will build back up, but short of
sticking them in bleach, is there anyway to restore a bit of that tarnish
quickly? They all look incredibly naked.. Thanks for any ideas or

suggestions!

Tegan

Who we are never changes. Who we think we are... does.
- Unknown

Old August 27th 03, 05:20 PM
Russell Miller

I'm almost positive Pat, but I just have to confirm before I destroy my
jewelery. What you refer to as 'cooking foil' is what we call tin foil
right? With my luck I'd get the wrong thing and turn my silver jewelery
to tin! LOL.

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

--
Maureen Miller C.H.
Old August 30th 03, 06:44 PM
Pat Porter

Yes that`s right - aluminium foil, as we call it. The stuff that comes in
rolls, for wrapping the turkey in, etc! Just scrunch it up a bit, and put it
in a bowl. Large handful of washing soda, boiling water to cover and watch
it fizz! Looks quite scary, but it`s fine.

Pat P

Old August 30th 03, 10:58 PM
Lynn Hansen

In article ,
"Pat Porter" wrote:

Yes that`s right - aluminium foil, as we call it. The stuff that comes in
rolls, for wrapping the turkey in, etc! Just scrunch it up a bit, and put it
in a bowl. Large handful of washing soda, boiling water to cover and watch
it fizz! Looks quite scary, but it`s fine.

Next question from a silly American:
What's "washing soda"?

Lynn
Old August 30th 03, 11:15 PM
Lucille

Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. I tried it on my flatware for my last dinner
party and it did work.
Lucille

Old August 31st 03, 01:42 AM
Pat Porter

The soda crystals that used to be used to soften the water - like broken
bits of glass? Not often used these days, but I always keep a packet under
the sink - good for wetting and rubbing on stings and bites! Like bathsalts
without the colour and perfume, only much coarser. Phew!

Maybe you don`t get it over there - maybe it`s too old fashioned for you
folks! Maybe it`s just our common language letting us down again! I`d be
interested to know what you DO call it - do you know, Sheena? Being an
immigrant, you should do! Now don`t YOU go all sensitive on me for calling
you an immigrant!

Pat P.

Old August 31st 03, 03:06 AM
Lucille

But Baking Soda will work. I used boiling water, baking soda and tin foil
with great success.
Lucille

wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 01:42:55 +0100, "Pat Porter"
wrote:

The soda crystals that used to be used to soften the water - like broken
bits of glass? Not often used these days, but I always keep a packet

under
the sink - good for wetting and rubbing on stings and bites! Like

bathsalts
without the colour and perfume, only much coarser. Phew!

Maybe you don`t get it over there - maybe it`s too old fashioned for you
folks! Maybe it`s just our common language letting us down again! I`d be
interested to know what you DO call it - do you know, Sheena? Being an
immigrant, you should do! Now don`t YOU go all sensitive on me for

calling
you an immigrant!

Pat P.

My hackles were instantly rising but then I thought, no, I am proud to
be an immigrant. You just got born in England, they had to have you,
whereas I asked Canada if they would take me and they elected to do
so! Pick the bones out of that lot you GOW you !

It's definitely not baking soda, I know exactly what you mean, and I
have never seen it over here. I think we need a chemist and there are
at least a couple around rctn. What about Jim, he would know both
what we are talking about and possibly the chemical equivalent here?

Sheena

Old August 31st 03, 03:25 AM
Jenn Ridley

Lynne asks:
Next question from a silly American:
What's "washing soda"?

Lynn

Washing soda. It's found in the laundry area of most grocery/general
stores. It's a laundry aid/detergent booster. Chemically, it's
sodium carbonate.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) will work, too. I've not tried it
with washing soda (I generally use borax as my laundry aid).

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Santa Christmas Stocking, Will Work for Freezer Space, Emperor's Coat, Stretch
Most recently Finished: Turnberry Ridge, Noah's Journey, SPRING Flowers
Old August 31st 03, 06:59 AM
Russell Miller

Well yes, but Sheena, speaking as one who was born here, Canada takes
EVERYBODY in! LOL I'm sorry, I couldn't resist that. We'd be a poorer
group without you here, no matter what country you came from.

As for the washing soda, it's called 20 Mule Team Borax and it comes in,
I think, a green box with red writing. Any other Canadians to back this
box description?

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.

Old August 31st 03, 10:57 AM
Pat Porter

LOL! It only costs pennies if you buy it from the laundry shelf! And you
don`t need a swimming pool sack of it - unless you have a treasure house
full of jewellery!!! Thanks for sorting out what it`s called over there,
Maureen.

Pat P.

"Russell Miller" wrote in message
This silly Canadian knows! Washing soda is Borax. If you want to get
it really cheap, go to a swimming pool place. One of those places that
sells chemicals for swimming pools. They have what they call 'pool
soda' It's to same thing at a fraction of the cost. )

Maureen In Vancouver, B.C.