Your eyes: pill, patch or what?

Old July 6th 04, 04:01 AM
Polly Esther

Default Your eyes: pill, patch or what?

I've been stippling like a maniac for two days, stopping often to rest my
bones and swoop out the fuzzies. When the bobbin runs out I mutter. I also
stop and sweep away the build-up from everywhere I find clouds of lint and
gopher remains. But, I wonder, if that kind of shreds of lint are piling up
around my SM, what are they doing to my eyes?
My eyes responded.
I've changed contact lenses. I've wetted them lots. I'm wondering if I
ought to put my head in a plastic bubble or cover the SM with one. I've
tried the logical solutions. Anybody have an off-the-wall thought? Polly

Old July 6th 04, 04:53 AM
Taria

Any chance you could sew outside in the open air? I find lint but not
tons of it. Maybe a different thread and/or batting? (I use that
Texas stuff somebody recommends and it is ok stuff) Can you wear
glasses instead? The long arm quilter should be the experts here.
Taria

Old July 6th 04, 05:04 AM
Debra

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 03:01:09 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I've been stippling like a maniac for two days, stopping often to rest my
bones and swoop out the fuzzies. When the bobbin runs out I mutter. I also
stop and sweep away the build-up from everywhere I find clouds of lint and
gopher remains. But, I wonder, if that kind of shreds of lint are piling up
around my SM, what are they doing to my eyes?
My eyes responded.
I've changed contact lenses. I've wetted them lots. I'm wondering if I
ought to put my head in a plastic bubble or cover the SM with one. I've
tried the logical solutions. Anybody have an off-the-wall thought? Polly

On the wall solution:
If you have a spare pair of glasses wear them instead of the
contacts, and rinse your eyes out with saline solution every time you
change or reload bobbins.

Off the wall solution:
Swim goggles. The kind that seal around each eye individually, not
the ones that cover half your face including your nose.

Now imagine what you are breathing in. You might want to add a dust
mask.

Debra in VA
Old July 6th 04, 06:14 AM
nzl*

my first thot was a pair of those clear safety goggles worn by woodworkers
when they use the electric saw or drill. also one of those paper dust masks
they wear!
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Polly Esther"
wrote:
I've been stippling like a maniac for two days, stopping often to rest my
bones and swoop out the fuzzies. When the bobbin runs out I mutter. I also
stop and sweep away the build-up from everywhere I find clouds of lint and
gopher remains. But, I wonder, if that kind of shreds of lint are piling up
around my SM, what are they doing to my eyes?
My eyes responded.
I've changed contact lenses. I've wetted them lots. I'm wondering if I
ought to put my head in a plastic bubble or cover the SM with one. I've
tried the logical solutions. Anybody have an off-the-wall thought? Polly

"Debra" wrote ...

Old July 6th 04, 10:41 AM
Roberta Zollner

Maybe you could find one of those extraction compartments like we used to
have in chemistry lab, and set it up as a SM table. Or even an extractor
made for a stove top. Does it bother your eyes that much? Normally eyes are
wet enough to wash out airborne stuff as it hits the eyeball. Maybe you
don't drink enough fluids? Or does the lint get under the contacts?

YLI long staple thread BTW produces very little lint. I love it!
Roberta in D

Old July 6th 04, 05:11 AM
nana2b

I wear contacts too. I find that when I machine quilt, I am concentrating
so much that I do not blink as often as necessary to keep the old eyeballs
moist. I am much more comfortable in glasses when I sew. HTH, Linda

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old July 6th 04, 05:14 AM
C & S

Polly,

Wow on the stamina! I don't MQ with my contact but with my glasses. For
one thing it's for eye safety. I've hit a few safety pins in my days and
had tips of needles fly off. I also don't tend to blink as much when I'm
concentrating so my eyes get dry. Glasses takes care of the problems. My
eyes are fine when I'm doing a MQ marathon.

Carole

ink.net...

Old July 6th 04, 01:26 PM
Polly Esther

You all are so right. I was just having such a good time with the quilt that
I forgot to use any sense at all. Polly

Old July 6th 04, 02:40 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
One of those ionic breeze machines; from what we see
on the filters, they're picking up junk from the air.
When someone *dusts* around here, the i.b. picks up even more
junk from the air. g Seems to be working.

;-D -- never have this problem while handquilting-- imagine! VBG

Ragmop/Sandy--4-eyes