Knitting Peeves?

Old September 16th 05, 12:43 PM
DA

I hate it when I have spent a couple of weeks knitting a sweater out of a
nice yarn, with a complex pattern or unusual design and the first time I
wear it, some one says "You know, I saw a sweater just like that at
WallMart/KMart".
What is your pet knitting peeve?

My knitting peeve is when someone says I can buy that at
Walmart/Zellers or when they are willing to pay hardly anything for a
homemade item.

Stephanie Pearl McPhee has the answer for that one. Roughly paraphrased:
Even if it's the same pattern in the same yarn in the
same color, my sweater is way better, because I made it.
"This sweater exists only because I am a clever, determined,
vital knitter, with stick-to-itiveness and an ability to
follow through." (p.239 _At Knit's End_)

=Tamar

I don't bother to say anything, the idea that some one could actually knit a
sweater is an alien concept to this sort of person.
DA

Old September 16th 05, 12:51 PM
bdiane

Up until recently I never knit for myself but it is turning now. I
appreciate the pieces so much and am learning that others seldom do. I
guess you have to love the yarns to enjoy them. barbara

Old September 16th 05, 01:43 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"DA" wrote in message
I don't bother to say anything, the idea that some one could actually knit
a sweater is an alien concept to this sort of person.
DA

nodding in wholehearted agreement. Same people cannot fathom someone
knitting socks, either.
JM2C
Noreen

Old September 16th 05, 01:56 PM
Aud

"DA" skrev i melding

--
This property protected by Smith and Wesson four days a week - - you
guess which days.

When people say:

OK, you knit a lot... well, you don't have children at home..
I can see they think: What shall she do when the house is perfectly
clean
and there are no more mess anywhere??
Knitting is relaxing, she can let the brain sleep!

And *I* think: Don't visit me, because I have mess, dust and
untidiness around
me,
I am SO eager to see if the pattern
I constructed and calkulated really works!

AUD ;-))

Old September 16th 05, 02:34 PM
DA

When people say:

OK, you knit a lot... well, you don't have children at home..
I can see they think: What shall she do when the house is perfectly
clean
and there are no more mess anywhere??
Knitting is relaxing, she can let the brain sleep!

And *I* think: Don't visit me, because I have mess, dust and untidiness
around
me,
I am SO eager to see if the pattern
I constructed and calkulated really works!

AUD ;-))

Are these the same people who sit and stare at mind-numbing TV shows?
There are shows which I enjoy, but sitting down to watch one is also my
knitting time.
DA

Old September 16th 05, 03:04 PM
Nyssa

I ditto the one about the hidden end in a ball of yarn.
All of the time wasted digging and rewinding instead of
getting started!

But my biggest peeve....

patterns that have CHARTS instead of WORDS!!!!

There, I've said it!

lol

Nyssa, who still hasn't finished the Socks from Hell
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net
Old September 16th 05, 03:35 PM
Aud

"Nyssa" skrev i melding

But my biggest peeve....

patterns that have CHARTS instead of WORDS!!!!

There, I've said it!

lol

Nyssa, who still hasn't finished the Socks from Hell
At River's End
http://nyssa.cnc.net

.... opposit for me!
I am so happy if I can follow a chart! LOL!
AUD ;-)

Old September 16th 05, 04:02 PM

I think that a while back we had a discussion about the chunk of yarn
that comes out when trying to find the end. I think that someone
suggested yarn barf, lol, and I thought that was funny. So now each
time I look for the end of the yarn, I think of that phrase and I
laugh. It makes it less frustrating!

I rarely make anything for anyone anymore unless they ask. I find that
many people do not appreciate hand made items. My DD is alway excited
about anything I make for her, so she is the recipient of many things I
have made recently.

My pet peeve is frogging. I absolutely hate to frog even thought I
seem to have to do it a lot! Sometimes I crochet when my mind is
elsewhere and then before I know it, I have done a few wrong stitches,
shortened a row, whatever! But, frog I must. I don't like to finish
something that has a lot of mistakes in it. That's just me.

Diane

Old September 16th 05, 06:33 PM
Katherine

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"DA" wrote in message
I don't bother to say anything, the idea that some one could
actually knit a sweater is an alien concept to this sort of person.
DA

nodding in wholehearted agreement. Same people cannot fathom someone
knitting socks, either.
JM2C
Noreen

My mother, who was one of the best knitters in the world, never understood
why I loved knitting socks.
My father, however, used to knit socks, and he understood perfectly.

Katherine

Old September 16th 05, 06:33 PM
Katherine

Nyssa wrote:
I ditto the one about the hidden end in a ball of yarn.
All of the time wasted digging and rewinding instead of
getting started!

But my biggest peeve....

patterns that have CHARTS instead of WORDS!!!!

There, I've said it!

And I agree!!!

Katherine