Spinning and Weaving

Old August 15th 03, 07:23 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Claire" wrote:

Blimey, that sounds like a hell of a shed! I'm planning just a small
cornerof the house for a suitable (comfy yet lots of elbow room) chair and
enough shelving/storage for my stash and paraphernalia - with a nice view.
That's to be my 'space' when we get our new house (and new life) next year.
DP gets separate study *and* an office, it seems. Think we might have to
re-negotiate...

Who else has somewhere special for their crafts? Could you tell me about it?
All ammunition for the Great Space Battle ahead of us, I think! What would
you think was essential for a craft room/ corner -don't know if I can shut
myself off as the babies will probably chew through the wiring or escape
while I'm out of sight. Number 2 can't walk yet but is already trying to
climb out of the playpen. Maybe I should make a lid... with a padlock.

Claire

Hello Claire, I do have a very special loft.....24 feet, by 24 feet...It
is on top of the house and has windows on all four sides.

Now I better give a preable to this heaven on earth.....

We came to Toronto 47 years ago and were able to buy a wee tiny sweetheart
of a house. Since both of us grew up in flats tree stories up....in busy
Amsterdam this little house was a dream come true. My first loom sat in
the unheated front sunporch, which was also used for the kids to play
in....We did have near misses with horrible disasters...e.g. when the
little girl from next door found my scissors on my weaving bench and was
about to cut all the just warp threads......48 per inch lo less. Our
front door was alswas open and kids ran in and out. I let out a gorilla
scream and all was saved. My second loom, I moved on to a 12 harness
countermarch, sat upstairs in the back sunporch...This was after our two
oldest kids had moved out. I had to suck my belly in to move around the
room and the loom. I went up in the world in more ways than one, this room
was heated and my own. It had windows on three sides, I did not mind not
having a lot of space.....(grin). Still wonder how I warped my loom.

When Otto started to talk about building his own home once he was
retired...and that it had to be on Vancouver Island, far away from our
children.....It took four years to make up my mind to agree. He had to
make a promis to build me a big weaving room, all for my self, windows all
around, and I could leave any sewing sitting on the table (used to do that
in our kitchen, and always had to clean everything up when we had lunch
and dinner, did the same with my knitting machine)

Once we were here and Otto was building, I did get my room, Oh yes Otto
does share it, his computer is also sitting here and we have an extra bed
here when the kids do come over for Christmas, Otto likes to nap there, to
keep me company....LOL

In the end it sound though, like I did very much what you are doing
now....three kids growing up, in a very small house...... two bedrooms,
one bathroom, very small living room, large kitchen and two porches, of
which the upstairs one was remodeled when our third child was born. As a
matter of fact the house sat on a 20 feet by 120 feet city lot. The widest
part of the house was 16feet across. It can fit in our present driveway
twice.....

I would do it all over again, the house was a dream, I loved it, best part
of my life raising the three kids.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 15th 03, 07:26 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Sonya Cirillo
wrote:

One of the main appeals of this house we're in is the number of rooms
(even if they are all sort on the smallish side)! There are 3
'bedrooms' upstairs and 2 bedrooms downstairs plus a parlor/sitting
room, living room, dining room and kitchen. . . (two bathrooms, one up
and one down) So the kids each get their own room plus a mutual
'sitting' room (eventually) upstairs. Downstairs DH and I each have our
own 'hobby' room. DH's is full of computers, electronics and most of
the electronic books and mine is full of sci fi, fantasy, mystery,
computer programming and needlecraft books, yarn, yarn, yarn, did I
mention yarn, my computers, fish. . and a 6' table to spread my sewing
or whatever out on - and then I don't have to move it when it's time to
make/eat supper!!!! The dining room was turned into a library for
our small collection (1000) of books, antique radios, 'antique' phones.

Sonya

Sonya that sounds like a very nice house, I would love to come and browse
in your library,

Els

Old August 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Aud

I had my loom, when I got it, in our combined
sitting room/ dining room in first floor
(our kitchen was too small to use for eating).
I remember my MIL thought it was very romantic and "old fashioned",
and was very proud when she got a wool jacket the first Christmas.
But the house was constructed so that when I (OH! no I lack technical words
in english!!
Hope you understand anyway!) "hit" the threads together in the warp,
the ground floor was a sort of "resonance-box", like a guitar or fiddle ,
so the noise was enormous! excpessially when I wove rugs from cotton fabrics
and had to "smash" really hard!!
My DH said: you cannot do this! think about the neighbours!(we lived in
houses built together) For a long time I tried to be MOST careful when
weaving, at last I asked the neighbours! But no. They had never heard
anything! guess who stopped to be careful!
But another worry: all the dust! often I had the vacum cleaner parked beside
me to clean up before evelything in the sittingroom was dusty. Ok for us,
perhaps, but it happened to come a visit or two once in a while!
But my kids and their friends loved that loom!
AUD :-))

"Els van Dam" skrev i melding

Old August 15th 03, 10:03 PM
Cher

Hi Els, what a lovely picture of your homes you describe so well. I can
just picture it all. I was only saying to a friend the other day, how, my
house has grown quieter and quieter as the children moved out....after a
brood of six, who became very lively teenagers, I miss the giggles and the
tears, the laughter that used to ring out of every room in the house...the
surprises, good ones of course, I even miss their boyfriends, who are now
husbands, it has all grown really quiet and sometimes when I am sitting in
the garden I remember how it all used to be and it is a little
sad...BUT...sometimes the door will burst open, and one or more of them will
arrive, including the grandchildren, and the house is restored once more to
it's youthfulness, of chitter chatter, giggles and squeals....until it's
time to go home.....I very often have two or four or more of my 16
grandchildren over to stay, then promptly wish I'd spaced them out, so that
I wouldn't miss them all when they've gone. I've never stopped missing my
children, I don't think you ever do, it is the biggest regret of my life,
that I had to let them go...even though I've gained extra sons or daughters,
it isn't the same. Oh to be able to go back, for just one day...it'd be so
lovely again. Remember the first walk out with a pram? Thought I'd never
get used to it...then when that child started to walk and no longer needed a
pushchair, I felt I would fall over without it infront of me....lol

Thanks for the memories Els.....Cher

---

Old August 15th 03, 10:05 PM
Cher

Oh Aud, I can just picture it,what a whale of a time those children must
have had., but I didn't do many crafts when my kids were little, didn't
have time, like the little ole lady who lived a shoe, that was me.....lol
Cher

---

Old August 15th 03, 10:37 PM
Claire

Dear Cher

You've made me cry! That's so moving- about them all leaving. While I am
obviously(!) hormonally (and therefore emotionally) erratic at the moment
(and prone to cry at advertisements on the television) just thinking about
my babies leaving home makes me weep. And my ten year old asked today when
he could start shaving! (I couldn't help laughing, he had a magnifying
mirror out and was insisting that he was growing a moustache- it disappeared
after I made him wash his face - he'd had chocolate milk at lunchtime!)

Claire

Old August 15th 03, 11:43 PM
Katherine Burgess

Els,
Your "loft" sounds heavenly! Maybe someday I will get to see it.
Katherine

Old August 15th 03, 11:55 PM
Katherine Burgess

Thank you, Sonya. Now I can see it. And I still envy you. g
Katherine

"Sonya Cirillo" wrote in message
Oh - sorry, DH has his hobby room in the parlor/sitting room - it has
two double sized doorways - one without doors, which we blocked with
bookcases and the other has double french style doors. I have one of
the downstairs bedrooms and we use the other 'Master' bedroom for
sleeping (it has it's own private door to the downstairs bathroom).

Our house was built in 1895 - we suspect it only had a water closet to
start with - there use to be two staircases - the one that went to the
kitchen was removed and the upstairs bathroom was expanded at some point
and then in the '70s the master bedroom, downstairs bathroom, laundry
room/pantry and garage were added.

We can tell the original part from the add-ons because the original
parts have 'real' plaster walls instead of drywall.

Sonya

Katherine Burgess wrote:
Sorry, Sonya, that adds up to more rooms than you mentioned. I take it

that
the kids have taken over upstairs, which uses up all three bedrooms up
there. Then, on the ground floor, if you and DH each have a hobby room,
where do you sleep???? I'd love to visit your hobby room!!!

Old August 16th 03, 04:57 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Cher"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it feels that way for me sometimes as well, and my children are far
away. I do miss them, and love it when they come and stay with us. So
having this great weaving loft is not all.......there are trade offs for
sure

Els

---

delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 16th 03, 05:00 AM
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Claire" wrote:

Dear Cher

You've made me cry! That's so moving- about them all leaving. While I am
obviously(!) hormonally (and therefore emotionally) erratic at the moment
(and prone to cry at advertisements on the television) just thinking about
my babies leaving home makes me weep. And my ten year old asked today when
he could start shaving! (I couldn't help laughing, he had a magnifying
mirror out and was insisting that he was growing a moustache- it disappeared
after I made him wash his face - he'd had chocolate milk at lunchtime!)

Claire

Clair more good memories.......thanks, I can remember, that our son
Dennis, also wanted to shave his beard...ha, ha, he did not have. We did
give him a very old fashioned shaver for his Christmas that year, with a
great rhyme to go with it......
Thanks for that great story, and do not rush things they go fast as it is,
ask Cher and me.....

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))