Another Antique Quilt Top

Old August 7th 04, 08:39 AM
Bronwyn Ferrier Ms

Default Another Antique Quilt Top

No, no, offence taken, Dr Quilter -- I have been enjoying the
discussion and everyone's viewpoint is valid along the way g. You
folk are all so knowledgeable. I just hope I can do justice to the
original quilter and complete nicely. Today I carefully washed it and
is now drying flat between 2 sheets on the deck. Next step will be to
see how squared up it is.
The 3 in squares are set on point, and a half triangle has been sewn
around to square it off. I am thinking that I might undo those
triangles and hand applique the zig zag squares onto backing fabric
which will become the border background. The idea will be to cut the
four borders to a predetermined length both ways and see how the quilt
edge can match without ruffling etc.
Incidently, I have the email of the store owner and she knows the top
came from a town 120 miles away called Bradley I think, (Tx). She did
say she hoped to visit back there and find out the name of the quilter
(like she knew how to obtain this from the person who bought the top
into her store in the first place). That would be really neat to have
the name on the label when I get to finish it.Cheers
Bronwyn

DrQuilter wrote in message
Bronwyn,

don't think I mean you did wrong in buying it, I was just surprised they
would price a top at that. There is a beautiful finished antique quilt
in an antique shop around here. If it is as old as the fabrics suggest,
it is in incredible condition for its age. The guy wants $600. It broke
my heart, but AFAIK it has been sitting there for 2+ years because I
cannot bring myself to spend that amount of money in a quilt. It is not
that I don't have it, but I feel I should be saving and all that. The
way I was brought up, buying stuff always feels like a luxury and it is
not taken lightly, so it would hurt to shell the $$! ) I've tried to
get a local quilt museum interested but they say they don't have the
funds to acquire new quilts, they only get them but donation. There's
pics here, BTW:

http://community.webshots.com/album/69527164QwQPdJ

Bronwyn Ferrier Ms wrote:

Girls, you are all right in one respect or anotherg. There are alot
of factors here. First, I'm a quilter, second it was purchased as a
'memento' of my trip and 'happy dollars' was certainly a factor. As
an Australian, there is no likelihood of something like this turning
up at home in a flea market or such. But, I assume it wasn't priced
in the store at $225 waiting for a gullible Aussie to suddenly trip by
g, so market forces must have been weighed into the asking price. As
I write here, I am recalling perhaps this was converted into aussie
dollars, maybe it was around $175US). I remember turning to my DH and
saying 'I have found something I really really love, what do you think
of it?' He saw my face and immediately said take it. We trawl through
these stores just 'enjoying' looking at the history of things,
marvelling, wondering about a past decade or century; we rarely
impulse buy just for the sake of retail therapy vbg.
We chat in the auto for hours about what we have seen...
Also, as you pondered, my lean money years are over (but I still am
thoughtful about any purchase) and we are now going to enjoy it. When
I started quilting 14 years ago I couldn't afford to go to workshops
by reknown tutors, buy books or much fabric. In fact this year is the
first year I have attended a workshop. And I still just buy fabric for
the next project (so the stash grows quite slowly). And going to
Paducah this year, that was such a thrill and so unexpected.
So meanwhile, I am about to get started on this gorgeous quilt and
just immerse myself in the pleasure of it all.
Bronwyn

Taria wrote:

I'm pretty cheap doc but there are times when the amount isn't buying
what you think it is. The top goes with memories of a trip and is
something that she really took to. In the grand scheme of life
$225 is nothing. The quilt top is a great think that will always
bring a smile and good memories. I probably wouldn't have thought
that way in my lean money years but if you are able to get to a point
that every penny doesn't have to be counted it gets easier.
I think it is the Kovel guy who comments that you don't regret the
things you buy, only those you didn't. (relating to antique hunting)
I hope Browyn is able to enjoy that quilt top for many years.
Taria

DrQuilter wrote:

assuming you have lots of money! 225 for a top is definitely more than I
would consider.