Machine quilting, which design?

Old March 13th 04, 10:12 PM
Judie Luisi

Default Machine quilting, which design?

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a quilt for my dad and am just about ready to start the
actual quilting. It's a sort of Irish Chain in what I'm calling paprika,
gold and muslin. I think the directions call for a stitch in the ditch,
along with a motif in the center of the mostly plain blocks. But I was
thinking of either a sort of meandering in the chains or a stitching
diagonally through the chains. The diagonal stitching would give me 3
diagonal lines of stitching about 8 inches apart in each direction. I do
plan to do the motifs...and can hardly wait to try out the press n seal
I've been hearing so much about!

I'm asking for opinions on which quilting pattern I should choose, the
diagonal or the meandering in the chains. All my quilting is done by
machine, but I think the stitch in the ditch would just be way too
tedious. I've posted a couple of pictures of the quilt sandwich on yahoo,
here's the url.
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jud...bum?.dir=/6d11

I want to start the quilting tomorrow, I need to get this finished and
mailed to my dad as soon as possible....none of us are getting any
younger!

Thanks,

Judie in Rochester, NY
Old March 13th 04, 10:38 PM
nzl*

wow, Judie,
great colours and what appears from my galloping horse to be poifect piecing
as well. not sure what the size of each sq is but how bout something in the
'pumpkin seed' range thru the diagonal chain. you can draw it to suit the
design. the curves will soften the effect without being too hard to do by
eyeballing free motion. need a pix?
inside the large open spaces i'd do some type of medallion design to
highlight the space.
have a look/see thru http://www.quiltmaker.com/motifs/ .
Theres a heap of them...bound to be something that will work and they're all
free...what more could you ask, lol.
jeanne
ok, ok, i'll go look thru them now too and see what appeals to me and post
again in a bit
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Judie Luisi" wrote...

Old March 13th 04, 10:47 PM
nzl*

do you use yahoo messenger?
i'm there now as nzlstar if you want to chat in real time, lol.
still checking the quiltmaker motifs...single block, border, continuous and
circular designs might well have something fun to use.
jeanne
--
"Judie Luisi" wrote in message

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, nzl* wrote:

'pumpkin seed' range thru the diagonal chain. you can draw it to suit the

Yes, please, a picture would be great!

Thanks,

Judie

Old March 13th 04, 11:54 PM
Eli

Oh that's gorgeous! You can pick my fabric any time!

IMHO, I would straight line quilt through the diagonals. I'm kinda blah,
but with the motif in each block, you don't want too much action going on to
compete with the motifs. Plus the straight lines will just strengthen the
diagonals.

I can't wait to see it finished...

Gina in IL

Old March 14th 04, 10:44 AM
Roberta Zollner

I usually do the straight line through the diagonals. If your "chain" blocks
are 5X5 squares, plus a square in each corner of the plain blocks, you can
quilt 5 straight lines in each direction on the diagonals, producing a nice
grid effect and turning the plain square on point for your fancy motif. This
will fill up the surface very well.
Roberta in D