London's Burning!

Old January 4th 06, 01:42 PM posted to alt.smokers.cigars,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default London's Burning!

Rob,
I'm cross-posting your question to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
They're always anxious to help...and believe it or not, they're even
friendly than this newsgroup.
Good luck,
Jenn

Shax wrote:
Rather, it will be when I get there . . . or at least a few cigars will be.

I'm headed to London on business--or, as I prefer to call it, "bid-ness"--in
mid-January. I have a conference to attend for 2 days, but I'm free on
either Friday, 1/20, or Saturday, 1/21. Any London ASCers care to partake of
a smoke with one of us from across the pond? If so, drop me an e-mail at
shaxbeard (at) verizon (dot) net.

Also, does anyone know where in London I would go to buy yarn? This
purchase, of course, would be for the gf. She knits, but luckily hasn't yet
knitted anything that I am required to wear. I am hoping the purchase of
yarn will stave off any future attacks.

Rob

--
Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old January 4th 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.smokers.cigars,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:42:51 GMT, Jenn Vanderslice
spewed forth :

Any London ASCers care to partake of
a smoke with one of us from across the pond?

Stinky habit, but one I understand. You can take away my butts but
I'll always be a smoker...

Also, does anyone know where in London I would go to buy yarn?

No help here. You can order ahead from Jamieson&Smith, or from
Jamieson's, and have it delivered to your hotel; both vendors have
websites but I believe you'll have to phone to place an order. They
do speak some flavor of English in the Isles but it took me a few
minutes to attune my ear to it; I'm sure the clerk on the other end
had the same problem with my accent *g*

Be wary of shops that list themselves under "wool" in the telephone
directory. I learned the hard way out in Hampshire and around Reading
that anyplace carrying fishing twine will bill itself as a yarn shop.
Likewise, not all shops listed under "needlework" carry knitting yarn.
Call ahead to save yourself time.

This
purchase, of course, would be for the gf. She knits, but luckily hasn't yet
knitted anything that I am required to wear. I am hoping the purchase of
yarn will stave off any future attacks.

Are you related to my husband? He flat refuses to countenance the
idea that I might make something wearable. He compliments sweaters I
make for myself and for my kiddo, covets my handknit socks, but the
thought that he might wear something I knit is just too far-fetched
for his poor testosterone-riddle brain to handle...

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old January 4th 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.smokers.cigars,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Shax wrote:
Rather, it will be when I get there . . . or at least a few cigars will
be.

I'm headed to London on business--or, as I prefer to call it,
"bid-ness"--in
mid-January. I have a conference to attend for 2 days, but I'm free on
either Friday, 1/20, or Saturday, 1/21. Any London ASCers care to partake
of
a smoke with one of us from across the pond? If so, drop me an e-mail at
shaxbeard (at) verizon (dot) net.

Also, does anyone know where in London I would go to buy yarn? This
purchase, of course, would be for the gf. She knits, but luckily hasn't
yet
knitted anything that I am required to wear. I am hoping the purchase of
yarn will stave off any future attacks.

Here is a link to the Rowan stockist. Most places that stock Rowan also have
other brands of yarns/wool
http://www.knitrowan.com/html/stocki...United+Kingdom

DA

Old January 4th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Wooly" wrote in message Are you related to my
husband? He flat refuses to countenance the
idea that I might make something wearable. He compliments sweaters I
make for myself and for my kiddo, covets my handknit socks, but the
thought that he might wear something I knit is just too far-fetched
for his poor testosterone-riddle brain to handle...

I think my DH is related to both of yours

Old January 4th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Ladies,

Not mine, I've made him so many sweaters he doesn't know which one he
wants to wear first so usually puts on the oldest one. I've told him no
more for him.

Hugs,

Nora

Old January 4th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.smokers.cigars,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hmm. My DH, the one who thinks the house is chilly when I am enjoying
its warmth, wears sweaters, hats and gloves I have knit.
He has asked for a vest - which is now on the needles. I, on the other
hand, usually can't wear my own sweaters unless I am headed outdoors.
I am, of course, much better insulated naturally - he is tall and thin.
He even wears one of the sweaters out in public.

Old January 4th 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.smokers.cigars,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I subscribe to Simply Knitting mag.which is from England. They have
many lovely ads re their knitting shops. The magazine can be bought at
Barnes & Noble Bookstore or email them at

Hope this helps. Gail

Old January 4th 06, 08:26 PM posted to alt.smokers.cigars,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:13:43 GMT, Miss Elaine Eos
spewed forth :

Knit yourself a bikini; use a loose stitch and large yarn. Knit him a
beach-wrap/robe. Explain that the two are meant to be seen together,
and that you'd never consider wearing yours if he didn't wear his.

HO! HO! HO!

I'm not especially fat, but bikini material I ain't. He's not either.

Hehehehehe!

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

OT Paris is burning Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 4 November 8th 05 07:41 AM
OT Paris is burning Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 0 November 6th 05 05:46 AM
Textilic Calories burning per hour Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 11 October 4th 05 12:36 PM
Southern CA Burning Debbi Quilting 14 October 3rd 05 02:35 AM
brother 8072 keeps burning out light Homer Hensy Quilting 1 January 12th 05 11:28 AM