San Jose quilt museum

Old November 10th 05, 06:42 AM
Irrational Number

Default San Jose quilt museum

DH and I played hooky from work this
afternoon and went to the San Jose Quilts
and Textiles Museum. It's a small, but
lovely space with interesting pieces. I
bought a book about borders and bindings
and got the business card of the curator,
so that I can call her to talk about how
to preserve Great-Aunt Mamie's cross-stitched
and embroidered linens.

Then, we went to Joann's and got some
fat quarters and thread. It was a great
day!

-- Anita --
Old November 10th 05, 12:15 PM
Tina

What fun! Good for you - everyone needs a "hookey day" once in a while
and what a great way to spend yours. Bravo for DH sharing it with you!

Hugs,
Tina

Old November 10th 05, 05:35 PM
TwinMom

Oh I LOVE that museum!!! Happened upon it while DH & the boys were checking
out "The Tech" a few blocks away. First time I was ever held tearful &
speechless from quilts. One was an intricate (and quite large) GFG, hand
pieced from turn of the century and absolutely unnamed. Maker took extreme
care to fussy cut almost every single petal and center - completely down by
hand. Impeccable workwomanship!! The was the speechless one. The tear jerker
was a quilt from a mourning quilt by a (former?) slave child who had
witnessed a murder of (I believe from memory) their own father or other
close family member. So simple, so honest in a child's memory, so sad.
That museum is truly a hidden gem!

Lorraine in La Center

Old November 10th 05, 05:47 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"TwinMom" wrote:

Oh I LOVE that museum!!! Happened upon it while DH & the boys were checking
out "The Tech" a few blocks away. First time I was ever held tearful &
speechless from quilts. One was an intricate (and quite large) GFG, hand
pieced from turn of the century and absolutely unnamed. Maker took extreme
care to fussy cut almost every single petal and center - completely down by
hand. Impeccable workwomanship!! The was the speechless one. The tear jerker
was a quilt from a mourning quilt by a (former?) slave child who had
witnessed a murder of (I believe from memory) their own father or other
close family member. So simple, so honest in a child's memory, so sad.
That museum is truly a hidden gem!

Lorraine in La Center

They've moved to a much larger site. They have something like 15,000
square feet now so there is room for quilt storage and such. Not far
from where it was, so you'll have to visit next time you are in the area.

marcella
Old November 10th 05, 09:35 PM
lal

Irrational Number wrote:
DH and I played hooky from work this
afternoon and went to the San Jose Quilts
and Textiles Museum. It's a small, but
lovely space with interesting pieces. I
bought a book about borders and bindings
and got the business card of the curator,
so that I can call her to talk about how
to preserve Great-Aunt Mamie's cross-stitched
and embroidered linens.

Then, we went to Joann's and got some
fat quarters and thread. It was a great
day!

-- Anita --

Greetings...

I am going to be in San Jose on 12/09 thru 12/11 (specifically to catch
a hockey game). I was wondering what kind of quilty stuff I might be
able to do while there. THANK YOU for this post.

lal
Old November 10th 05, 09:55 PM
Marcella Peek

Here's a link to their page if you want to see what the exhibit is and
get the address

http://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/index.htm

Are you wanting to know which quilt shops are close to downtown?

marcella

Old November 11th 05, 07:37 AM
Irrational Number

lal wrote:

Irrational Number wrote:

DH and I played hooky from work this
afternoon and went to the San Jose Quilts
and Textiles Museum. [...]

I am going to be in San Jose on 12/09 thru 12/11 (specifically to catch
a hockey game). I was wondering what kind of quilty stuff I might be
able to do while there. THANK YOU for this post.

Hi lal,

Marcella posted the museum's website
for you. What kind of quilty stuff
are you interested in? I don't think
there are any shows and the Santa Clara
Valley Quilters Association does not
have a meeting on your dates. Project
Linus also doesn't have a meeting on
those dates...

I can point you to a LQS if you'd like...

-- Anita --
Old November 11th 05, 03:34 PM
lal

Marcella Peek wrote:
Here's a link to their page if you want to see what the exhibit is and
get the address

http://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/index.htm

Are you wanting to know which quilt shops are close to downtown?

marcella

Greetings...

Yes, I googled and found their website. Ohhhh, quilt shops close to
downtown... Yes please!! I'm not planning on renting a car while I'm
there and figure I'll do lots of walking. My hotel, Crowne Plaza, is
right downtown and appears to be close to lots and lots of stuff. I'm
trying to keep in mind that I will need to eat and sleep sometime during
this trip. Trying not to PLAN too much and keep my options open. The
only definite thing I have planned is the Sharks v Canes hockey game
Saturday night.

lal
Old November 11th 05, 11:11 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
lal wrote:

Marcella Peek wrote:
Here's a link to their page if you want to see what the exhibit is and
get the address

http://www.sjquiltmuseum.org/index.htm

Are you wanting to know which quilt shops are close to downtown?

marcella

Greetings...

Yes, I googled and found their website. Ohhhh, quilt shops close to
downtown... Yes please!! I'm not planning on renting a car while I'm
there and figure I'll do lots of walking. My hotel, Crowne Plaza, is
right downtown and appears to be close to lots and lots of stuff. I'm
trying to keep in mind that I will need to eat and sleep sometime during
this trip. Trying not to PLAN too much and keep my options open. The
only definite thing I have planned is the Sharks v Canes hockey game
Saturday night.

lal

Well, close enough to downtown if you have a car. Sorry to get your
hopes up. There is a gift shop at the quilt museum, so you can get a
little shopping fix. I think even on light rail you have an awfully
long hike from a station to a shop.

Close to your hotel....the Tech Museum is fun and they have an IMAX
theater. http://www.techmuseum.org

Lou's Living Donut Museum (387 Delmas Ave.) is rather famous for it's
doughnuts.
http://cityguide.aol.com/sanfrancisc...sbid=101189210

The Fountain at the Fairmont (couple blocks from you hotel) has good
lunch and a giant chocolate sculpture. Because, well, you know how
quilters are about chocolate

marcella