Decreasing Evenly

Old September 8th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Decreasing Evenly

LOL, I haven't gotten around to knitting this morning, so it's OK.
Thanks for straightening it out, though.

Hesira

Wooly wrote:
On 8 Sep 2006 06:37:58 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

I see I didn't explain it properly, either.

Increases + 1 = segments

divide stitch count by segments, that's the number of stitches between
increases.

coffee? coffee? brain? brain??

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Old September 8th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Wooly wrote:
On 7 Sep 2006 18:14:39 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

Is there a formula for decreasing or increasing evenly?

Divide by the number of decreases and subtract one to see how many
stitches to work between decreases. If you have extra stitches just
fudge THOSE in evenly.

It's a paper-pencil-picture problem for me right now to do the actual
figuring...

Or does it
really matter when you knit in the round? By that I mean, if I need to
increase 8 over 64, does it matter if I have 4 at the beginning and 4
at the end, as long as there are 8 stitches between each increase?

If you start counting at the beginning of the round and work in the
decreases evenly around you shouldn't have stitches left at the
beginning and end - unless you forget to fudge in the remainder.

I actually go into Excel and plot it out until I get the number of
increases I want.

I thought we were talking about decreases?

TIA

Hesira

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...

Thanks Wooly!!!
Old September 8th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Stella Fenley

you would increase or decrease in every 8th stitch.
Stella
"hesira" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a formula for decreasing or increasing evenly? Or does it

Old September 8th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Mirjam,

I'm making socks that need to be increased after the cuff. The cuff is
64 stitches, and I need to increase 8 stitches evenly, yielding 72
stitches. I worked it out to be knit 3, increase, knit 7, increase,
repeat the every 8 increase, with 4 left at the end. The beginning 3
and the end 4 make the last 7 stitch segment.

My question was, if you are working in the round, does it matter where
you BEGIN the increases? Wooly straightened that out.

Thanks,

Hesira

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Hesira i am lost , what are you knitting and what shape are you trying
to make , please elaborate ,, so i can try and help you.
mirjam
Oops, again, between the INCREASES...Sigh. Oh, well, I'm rather
enjoying this conversation between me and myself.

Hesira,

who might be going a little bonkers right now.

hesira wrote:
Oops! I mean 7 betwixt the stitches

Hesira

Old September 8th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Thanks, Stella,

Hesirsa

Old September 8th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
khoff

Hesira - I've been reading this thread and I'm not sure that your
question got entirely answered.
:

If you are knitting in the round and putting 7 stitches between your
increases, then does it matter if you start that round with increasing
on stitch number 8, or should the 7 stitches be divided in half the way
they are in flat knitting, making the first increase on stitch number 4
(3 stitches before the first increase)? This would leave 4 stitches
after the LAST increase, so when you join the round, the last 4 and the
first 3 make the 7 stitches between the first and last increases.

It seems to me that as long as there are 7 stitches between each
increase, it shouldn't matter where they are, unless it affects the
pattern in some way. If it doesn't matter, I could start the increases
in a place to ensure that I always increase on a knit stitch rather
than a purl.

I would say if you are knitting in the round, and your increases or
decreases are all evently spaced within a single round, it doesn't
matter if you start with stitch # 8 and have the last adjustement at
the end of the round, or start with one of the earlier stitches, making
your last adjustment an appropriate number of stitches before the end
of the round. Unless the increases (or decreases, I've lost track of
which you actually want!) are part of an ongoing pattern, it doesn't
matter where they begin relative to the beginning of the round, as long
as they are evenly spaced.

Hope this helps.

-Jackie

Old September 8th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Thanks, Jackie. That is indeed part of my question. It seemed to me
that just as you say, if the increases are not part of the pattern, and
they are evenly spaced, it doesn't matter exactly where I start them.

Sorry to be so confusing. I was addled last night and couldn't tell my
increases from my decreases. The question was supposed to be about
INCREASES, but I accidently put decreases in the post title. As Wooly
said, this Graves's Disease does things to your concentration.

Hesira

Old September 9th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

Hesira - I didn't realize these were socks. When I make socks and I
need to increase, especially with 8 stitches, (I knit on 4 needles) I
would just increase this way: (these ideas assume that you are just
knitting around)

To do in one round:
Needle 1: K1, KFB (knit in the front and back of 1 stitch - or use
favorite increase), k to last 2 sts, KFB, K1
Repeat for needles 2, 3 and 4 - 8 sts increased

To do in two rounds:
Needle 1: K1, KFB (knit in the front and back of 1 stitch - or use
favorite increase), k to end
Needle 2: K to last 2 sts, KFB, K1
Needle 3 - repeat Needle 1
Needle 4 - repeat Needle 2

These mirror the way that I've been taught to decrease for the toe.

Alison

Old September 9th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

hesira wrote:
Thanks Dennis,

I do understand that the decreases/increases need to be evenly spaced.
I don't think I asked the question very well. What I meant to say was:

If you are knitting in the round and putting 7 stitches between your
increases, then does it matter if you start that round with increasing
on stitch number 8, or should the 7 stitches be divided in half the way
they are in flat knitting, making the first increase on stitch number 4
(3 stitches before the first increase)? This would leave 4 stitches
after the LAST increase, so when you join the round, the last 4 and the
first 3 make the 7 stitches between the first and last increases.

It seems to me that as long as there are 7 stitches between each
increase, it shouldn't matter where they are, unless it affects the
pattern in some way. If it doesn't matter, I could start the increases
in a place to ensure that I always increase on a knit stitch rather
than a purl.

Hugs,

Hesira

SpikeDriver wrote:

You definately need to even the stitch increases out a even as you can
across our around the piece.

On round if you increase to much on one side you will have a bulge.

I hope I explained this right.

It is very important to increase evenly around the project.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail

Hesira,

If there is one person that knows how to explain it is Wooly.

We are lucky to have her.

Yes, I get you now, sorry for not getting it the first time.

Knit ON!!!

Dennis & Gail

Chemical or method to etch/frost lucite or other clear plastic VERY finely & evenly? sam General Crafting 0 July 3rd 06 06:43 AM
Chemical or method to etch/frost lucite or other clear plastic VERY finely & evenly? Jimmie D General Crafting 0 July 3rd 06 06:11 AM
Chemical or method to etch/frost lucite or other clear plastic VERY finely & evenly? Ashley Clarke General Crafting 0 June 21st 06 10:16 PM
Witch hat Anna MCM Yarn 56 October 11th 05 07:11 AM
Knit sweater -- Decreasing on the wrong side Julie Yarn 8 September 28th 05 03:45 AM