The Beadmakers Liberation Front

Old February 17th 04, 10:44 AM
Kandice Seeber

Of course - exactly. There's no way to adequately set starting prices on
handmade beads, simply because everyone works at a completely different
skill level and has a different artistic vision. For crying out loud, this
is handmade craft and art! Not Walmart toys - that comparison was made in
the thread on WC, adn I had to respond to that. Yeesh - I can't stop!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

This is true. I think newbies should continue to sell (and I don't
consider the term "newbie" to be offensive, I mean PLEASE, it started
out as an affectionate term!) for newbie prices. Newbie work has a charm
you can't get elsewhere, and newbie work can become extremely
valuable... can you imaging having one of Leah Fairbanks' first

goddesses???

Some buyers prefer the beginner's hand, and I think it's tremendous
incentive for a new lampworker to be able to sell their work, and even
pay for glass and better equipment that way. Beginner work has a place
inthe market.

-Kalera

Christina Peterson wrote:

However, it is not undercutting to offer lesser beads for a lesser

price.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote

I don't agree with the organization, the "rules", etc. But I

wholeheartedly

support the feeling that undercutting is noxious and harmful to beaders

and

beadmakers everywhere.

Old February 17th 04, 01:46 PM
Karen_AZ

I think a huge part of the jewelry issue is understanding your market and
working FOR it, instead of against it (or finding a different market). Back
in the Philly area, the predominant market is very conservative....14K,
diamonds and other precious stones, etc. Even casual jewelry is just more of
the same in simple, scaled-down styles. I would sell at craft shows and get
lots of pick-up oohs and ahhs, but very few sales. Same went for beads,
those who bought chose classic styles, like the Czech wedding cake beads or
simple geometrics.

But, I started doing shows further afield...and became a small hit in
Atlanta. They seem to be much more open to being "different" and expressing
themselves in their own way. I took a few pieces of jewelry to help sell my
beads, and the jewelry outsold the beads at two shows. LOL It's pretty much
the same story out here as well.

So, I think you need to understand the local tastes if you're going to sell
locally. Then work up designs that are, ummmm, not threatening to those
tastes. Sometimes it's soooo frustrating, but trying to "enlighten" just
doesn't help your wallet as well.

--
KarenK
www.desertdreameraz.com

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
That's great to know. And I wasn't being sarcastic or disrespectful when

mentioned upping my prices. I live in an area where high ticket jewelry

is
gold nuggets, jade and gems. I don't think I can get a fair price here in
Fairbanks. And I don't see example of work similar to mine that is for
sale.

Tina

Old February 17th 04, 02:02 PM
Karen_AZ

I'm not understanding what's offensive about my description. And I'm

also not understanding the other stuff... I think most glassworkers
turn glass into beads for a profit.

Lord, I hope so! As much as I love beadmaking, it IS a business for me and I
do expect to profit from it. Even if I were "just" a hobbyist, I'd still be
expecting to make my basic costs back. Same goes for jewelry. I've always
costed my pieces out so that I go somewhere beyond the break even
point....even all the way back in high school. When making jewelry from my
own beads, I realize I have an added advantage because the beads themselves
are 'below wholesale' for me. But I price them out at my usual wholesale
price so I'm not shooting myself in the wallet.

Old February 17th 04, 04:12 PM
Karen_AZ

This year I am going to be branching out into some honest-to-ghod
Craft Shows, where I hope to do better.

Take some time to do some serious people-watching at shows. If you can
(outdoor shows are great for this) plant yourself near some of the jewelry
sellers and just watch what's happening. Watch what gets fondled AND what
actually sells.

It's a tough balance to both placate your "inner muse" and produce what will
sell.

KarenK

Old February 17th 04, 11:11 PM
AmazeR

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:19:46 +0000, Tinkster wrote:

I'm not understanding what's offensive about my description. And I'm
also not understanding the other stuff... I think most glassworkers
turn glass into beads for a profit.

I'm sooooooooooooo confused.

Tink

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about this too... But I do recognise that people
see some things differently and that's ok... just different is all...

I think most would try to turn a profit so that they can buy/make more...
isn't this how the world goes around? I think it's called business...

Mavis
(not trying to offend anyone)

Old February 19th 04, 08:51 AM
Kalera Stratton

AWESOME post, Beki. Awesome.

The thing about the lampwork market right now is that the huge influx of
lampworkers is directly related to the increasing knowledge and
popularity of lampwork. A couple of years after I started lampworking, I
was desperately scouring the internet for references... I found ONE. (I
think it was related to Sage & Tom Holland, and it referred to
"Lampwinding", which is what I (and many others) called my craft for years.)

What all this indicates to me is that the imbalance of new lampworkers
to lampwork buyers will, in time, settle down, and we will all benefit
in the long run from a more competetive marketplace and a larger, more
educated market.

-Kalera

DreamBeadr wrote:

-snip-

While the entire bead industry can and should be viewed as one big family, it
is the individuals within that family that make it what it is.

A think a revolution to help others learn to value themselves as artists,
craftspeople, creators, sellers, business people, etc would garner much more
worth.

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com

Old February 19th 04, 05:36 PM
DreamBeadr

What all this indicates to me is that the imbalance of new lampworkers
to lampwork buyers will, in time, settle down, and we will all benefit
in the long run from a more competetive marketplace and a larger, more
educated market.

From your lips to the Universe Kalera. =o)

I know coming from a sales position, that major influxes of competition can
sometimes become a drain on the nerves.
I know there are many lampworkers who do just fine selling their work, but
there must be so many who are stressed out from lack of sales, or not
understanding how to deal with the pressures of competition.

Last year at the Bead & Button show, they had an entire row of lampwork beads.
I say lampwork, as opposed to lampworkers, because imports were also sprinkled
down that isle.
When walking down that isle, you could "feel" the stress. I could see the
faces of defeat and frustration. How hard that must have been for them all.
Directly across from my booth was Dianne from Dianne's Beadscapes. I love
her...she is a very sweet, creative woman, and her beads are priced very fair
for the amount of work she puts into them.
Even she was not having the best of shows, and she wasn't even stuck over in
that isle of lampwork.
Instead of energy being put into sales, energy was put into expressing the
frustration of the over abundance of lampwork.
My major point with it was the fact that there are so many beaders who are not
educated about lampwork. They cannot always distinguish between artist made
and mass imported. They also cannot always distinquish between quality artist
made and someone who has yet to master the skills.
Until this imbalance begins to settle, I am afraid the stress and frustration
will remain.
And, I am sorry to say, but I was not able to walk down that isle a second time
due to the level of anxiety in the air.
I did do some pretty great trades with Dianne, however. =o)

Beki
http://www.whimbeads.com
Old February 21st 04, 01:32 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:51:08 -0800, Kalera Stratton
wrote:
The thing about the lampwork market right now is that the huge influx of
lampworkers is directly related to the increasing knowledge and
popularity of lampwork. A couple of years after I started lampworking, I
was desperately scouring the internet for references... I found ONE.

snip
What all this indicates to me is that the imbalance of new lampworkers
to lampwork buyers will, in time, settle down, and we will all benefit
in the long run from a more competetive marketplace and a larger, more
educated market.

When I first started making jewelry, there weren't that many
jewelers applying to shows. I never had any trouble getting
into the ones I wanted. Then everybody and their brother,
sister, aunts and uncles jumped on the jewelry bandwagon.
(Because "the jewelers always make the most money" Hah!)
So I added glass to the mix -- to stand out from the crowd.
Guess what became popular next? You got it. Glass. Every
body is into it in some form or another. Arrrrghhhh!
But, as you mentioned, it does help educate the public.
I have fewer and fewer people asking if a piece is plastic.
Or rapping on it with a ring to see if it's glass. (Yes it is,
and if you break it, you buy it, grrrrr). The show circuit
is so much fun.....
And now people are collecting items made of glass
in ever-increasing numbers. Which is why I should
be working today. But I've felt like crap all day and
haven't accomplished a damn thing. And tomorrow
I have to go to my MIL's condo and help her sort out
what we're keeping and what has to be sold before
the move. Betcha I don't get into the studio then, either.
B.
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your future
plans.
Woody Allen