Need a free newsgroup reader

Old April 15th 15, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

Default Need a free newsgroup reader

Thanks very much indeed for this, Lizzy.
I did have a quick look to see the first steps, but I honestly haven't
had time to do the whole operation. Your steps are written so clearly,
that I am hopeful I (even I!) will be able to complete the process
successfully.
If I do make it work, I'll let you know by posting a message through the
system! I won't cancel my Giganews subscription until I do g

Pat on the green
..
On 14/04/2015 02:13, Lizzy Taylor wrote:

In my current version of Thunderbird:

From the menu bar select Tools-Account Settings

At the bottom left of the Account Settings window click on the button
marked "Account Actions" and select "Add Other Account".

The New Account Setup window should automatically have "Newsgroup
cccount" as the selected option.

Click Next

Fill in your screen name in the "Your Name" box and your email address
in the "Email Address" box

Click Next

In the Newsgroup Server box type news.aioe.org

Click Next

If everything looks correct click Finish, then click OK in the Account
Settings window.

news.aioe.org should now appear in bold in the left hand side of your
main Thunderbird window

Right click on that bold news.aioe.org and select Subscribe...

Wait a few moments for the list of newsgroups to appear in the list

Type quilting in the box marked "Show items that contain:" and
rec.craft.textiles.quilting will appear in the box below. Click in the
little square by rctq so that it is ticked and then click OK.

rctq should now appear under the bold news.aioe.org
click on rctq and the new messages should appear in your message list
(just like your emails do).

Read & enjoy.

Hope that helps

Lizzy

Old April 17th 15, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

On 14/04/2015 18:46, Dreamweaver wrote:
On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 3:09:38 PM UTC-5, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
Dreamweaver

OK, what program do you use for your email? I use Thunderbird, so that
is the one I can help with most easily, but I'll have a shot at helping
you if you use something else.

Lizzy

For email I use Outlook.com. I also use Chrome on Windows 7.

Thanks for the help,
Dreamweaver

Hi Dreamweaver,

I have looked into using outlook.com for reading newsgroups and it
doesn't look like there is a good, simple, solution. Your best bet may
well be to download Thunderbird
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ and then follow the
instructions I put together for Pat. You can then use Thunderbird for
reading rctq and other newsgroups as you like and still use outlook.com
for email.

Sorry not to be more help,

Lizzy
Old April 17th 15, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 4/16/2015 8:53 PM, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
[...]

I use thunderbird for RCTQ, as well as for all my mail. You can set it
up for multiple accounts. DH & I both have e-mail accounts with our ISP
and I have a gmail account. I have my yahoo mail (I'm on a couple yahoo
groups) forwarded to gmail so that also shows up in thunderbird. I
wasn't able to get thunderbird to work directly with yahoo. Nice to have
everything in one place.

Julia in MN

Old May 14th 15, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate_in_MI

I use Albasani.net through the Windows Mail app that comes installed on
Windows based computers. I used to do email there, too, but don't now.
Only the newsgroup.

Kate in MI

"Dreamweaver" wrote in message

I hate Google and want to come back. Can anyone suggest a ng reader that's
free and easier to read than Google?

New reader Belinda Alene Sewing 2 October 16th 11 03:56 AM
OT-E Reader Lucille Needlework 10 December 15th 09 06:18 PM
OT-E Book reader ?? lucille Needlework 13 June 4th 09 12:05 AM
Newsgroups Reader? [email protected] Quilting 8 May 24th 08 03:20 PM
OT/Testing new ng reader. Richard Williams Yarn 17 July 15th 04 03:37 AM