Help, please, with knitty toe-up socks formula

Old September 7th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Default Help, please, with knitty toe-up socks formula

Maybe it's the migraine drugs, but
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ersalsock.html
has me confused:

Determine number of sts at end of Toe and Heel: Multiply D by 0.4.
If D is odd, round to nearest odd number;
if D is even, round to nearest even number: _______ (E)

If it is odd, round to the nearest odd number? Doesn't that just mean
add 2?

Also, the number I got was 16.8. Does that mean call it 17 and round to
19, or what?

TIA...
Old September 7th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Dear Georgia, thank you. You mean that since D = 42 and so D x 0.4 is
16.8, I should round it to the 16 rather than to the 18? (Sorry to need
it spelled out in words of one syllable.)

Georgia wrote:
It's the migraine; D is not the same as D multiplied by 0.4. Actually, what
I guess they mean is, if you started with an odd number, stay odd, and if
you started with an even number, stay even, and you can round up or down.

Georgia

Old September 8th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

"spampot" wrote in message

Maybe it's the migraine drugs, but
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/...ersalsock.html
has me confused:

Determine number of sts at end of Toe and Heel: Multiply D by 0.4.
If D is odd, round to nearest odd number;
if D is even, round to nearest even number: _______ (E)

If it is odd, round to the nearest odd number? Doesn't that just mean
add 2?

Also, the number I got was 16.8. Does that mean call it 17 and round to
19, or what?

TIA...

I find this description a little confusing also. I use Wendy's toe up
pattern http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm (which is really
similar) and she says:

Multiply the number of inches you get by the number of stitches you
get per inch when you do a gauge swatch. Then subtract 10% from that
total. Fudge your number so it's divisible by 4. This will make a
nice, snug-fitting sock. This pattern is written using 60 stitches
around for the sock, with changes for 64 stitches in parentheses.

From me again: I like to have the stitches on each needle be
divisible by 4, nice for a 2x2 rib on the leg for instance. So I
usually end up with 64 stitches, you use half for the toe beginning so
I cast on 32 stitches and work from there.

Alison

Old September 8th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

Alison wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message
news:26mdnfyBXcAJ5J3YnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@giganews .com...

[...]

From me again: I like to have the stitches on each needle be
divisible by 4, nice for a 2x2 rib on the leg for instance. So I
usually end up with 64 stitches, you use half for the toe beginning so
I cast on 32 stitches and work from there.

Alison

Anything that says "fudge it so you get a number divisible by 4" is my
kinda instruction! Thanks a million. I'm using Opal on 00 needles so
this is starting to make my hands hurt.

Old September 10th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot

spampot wrote:
Alison wrote:

"spampot" wrote in message

[...]

From me again: I like to have the stitches on each needle be
divisible by 4, nice for a 2x2 rib on the leg for instance. So I
usually end up with 64 stitches, you use half for the toe beginning so
I cast on 32 stitches and work from there.

Alison

Anything that says "fudge it so you get a number divisible by 4" is my
kinda instruction! Thanks a million. I'm using Opal on 00 needles so
this is starting to make my hands hurt.

I've gotten that toe done and am doing the foot, which is nice &
straightforward (people at a workshop I attended yesterday expressed
amazement that I could not only knit and listen and take notes, but
could knit while I asked questions and explained things; it's no big
deal to a knitter, of course!).
Old September 11th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:41:27 -0400, spampot wrote:

spampot wrote:
Alison wrote:

"spampot" wrote in message

[...]

From me again: I like to have the stitches on each needle be
divisible by 4, nice for a 2x2 rib on the leg for instance. So I
usually end up with 64 stitches, you use half for the toe beginning so
I cast on 32 stitches and work from there.

Alison

Anything that says "fudge it so you get a number divisible by 4" is my
kinda instruction! Thanks a million. I'm using Opal on 00 needles so
this is starting to make my hands hurt.

I've gotten that toe done and am doing the foot, which is nice &
straightforward (people at a workshop I attended yesterday expressed
amazement that I could not only knit and listen and take notes, but
could knit while I asked questions and explained things; it's no big
deal to a knitter, of course!).

Oh Good! I started another sock today and had to request no
conversation till I got the toe done. Now I'm speeding away on the
foot like you which requires very little thought!

Alison
Old September 11th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I am glad people are talking about this -- I am eager to try this
pattern but haven't started yet.
Maybe I will have to tuck some sock yarn into my suitcase. I did pick
up some smaller sock needles today as I think I will go down a size for
a snugger fit on my next pair.

Judy

Toe up socks JCT Yarn 21 August 20th 06 08:26 PM
Crochet Socks Eastern Edge Yarn 49 October 23rd 05 07:59 AM
FO: The Socks from Hell Nyssa Yarn 6 October 16th 05 12:57 AM
About socks Beinchat Yarn 14 June 1st 04 03:08 PM