scrap quilt question

Old January 21st 05, 02:47 PM
Helen in MN

Default scrap quilt question

I have a lot of long strips from about 5 years of quilting. They are a
mixture of traditional, moda-style, and batiks- no 30's repros though. I
will leave out the kids prints.
I'm thinking there's enough for me to just start making log cabin blocks.
Will it drive me crazy if I mix all these fabrics? I'm tempted to do the
"put them all in a paper bag and just grab a strip" trick.
and yes, I am a bit compulsive, if that helps in the answer.
TIA

--
Helen in MN

Old January 21st 05, 03:32 PM
Diana Curtis

I like Joan's thought of all neutrals on one side... or .. all browns on
one.. all reds on one side and anything else goes on the other.
And I would love to see it when its done.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old January 21st 05, 03:34 PM
Helen in MN

I could do that- I have a lot of creams and/or beige.
Helen

"Joan8904" wrote in message
It would probably turn out just fine.

I'm also a bit compulsive and find that I like my scrap quilts more if
there is
some common element to achieve some degree of coherence. Just throwing
them
altogether doesn't work for me.

So maybe all neutrals on the light side?

joan
I have a lot of long strips from about 5 years of quilting. They are a
mixture of traditional, moda-style, and batiks- no 30's repros though. I
will leave out the kids prints.
I'm thinking there's enough for me to just start making log cabin blocks.
Will it drive me crazy if I mix all these fabrics? I'm tempted to do the
"put them all in a paper bag and just grab a strip" trick.
and yes, I am a bit compulsive, if that helps in the answer.
TIA

--
Helen in MN

Subject: scrap quilt question

reader.com!atl-c02.usenetserver.com!news.usenetserver.com!newscon 02.news.p
rodigy.com!newscon06.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net! news-east.rr.com!news.rr
.com!news-server.columbus.r
r.com!cyclone2.kc.rr.com!news2.kc.rr.com!twister .rdc-kc.rr.com.POSTED!53a

b2750!not-for-mail
From: "Helen in MN"
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:47:17 GMT

joan o'reilly
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words they become
actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits,
they become character. Watch your character it becomes your destiny.

Old January 21st 05, 04:33 PM
Roberta Zollner

I would sort lights and darks, and maybe not mix the batiks with the
traditionals. A Batik LC would be stunning! But as long as you maintain a
definite light/dark separation, it will look great. LCs that are too
planned are a bit boring IMO, scrappy is much better!
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old January 21st 05, 05:37 PM
Estelle Gallagher

I just did one of those(scrap LC) I put the lights and darks roughly in 2
piles and away I went.It turned out great!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old January 21st 05, 05:50 PM
Julia Altshuler

I second the idea of sorting the strips into lights and darks. Other
than that, the more mixed up and scrappier the better. So make it the
"put them all in TWO paper bags and just grab a strip" trick.
--Lia

Old January 21st 05, 08:28 PM
Helen in MN

So... I may need to make two separate quilts??????

Helen in MN

Old January 21st 05, 08:42 PM
Pat in Virginia

Helen,
Yes, you could put them all in a bag and draw
random strips. Since you are a tad compulsive I
suggest you quickly divide them into two bags,
light and dark. Just don't agonize too much with
them. Set aside the 'unsure' or medium tones; use
those for border. HTH.
PAT, also 'slightly picky' as we say in the South

Old January 21st 05, 11:49 PM
Mystified One

Another easy quilt you could do with your scraps is foundation string
piecing. You cut your blocks out of muslin (4 inches, 6 inches, whatever,
so long as they're all uniform). You could even cut them into rectangles,
but be sure you've got diagonals in two directions.

Stitch your strips (you don't even have to be neat, there's no matching,
sort of crazy-quilt style) starting from the middle diagonal and work out on
either side to the corners. When you get a big pile of them, arrange them
so you've got this sort of design going:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Then when you stitch your rows together, you end up with diamonds and X's.
We did a lot of scrappy quilts like this for charity, and it was really fast
and easy! If you use the same fabric in the center of the blocks, it really
brings the look together.

Here's one with sashing, but I don't think it really needs the sashing.

http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/patt104/

Old January 22nd 05, 12:20 AM
Betty in Wi

The benefit of sashing is that you can cut it 1" and sew together with 1/4"
seams. The two edges of the blocks butt up against each other and you don't
have the bulk you would have if you sewed the blocks directly together.

Betty in WI