Baking Soda Beads

Old September 7th 03, 03:37 PM
starlia

Default Baking Soda Beads

Good morning ladies,

I was browsing Wet Canvas last night and found a thread on baking soda
beads. Has anyone ever tried making them?

I ended up making 16 beads in all. I have some with very large bubbles in
them. I read that these beads may crack, but usually when you are making
them. None have cracked on me so far.

Any insight to these beads would be great. BTW, I love the look especially
with dark colored glass.

Starlia

Old September 7th 03, 04:24 PM
Tink

Howdy! I also like baking soda beads. Two important things: Don't use very
much baking soda and don't forget to neutralize them.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

Old September 7th 03, 04:52 PM
starlia

Becki,

Click on the link to my photos. Click on Beads and it is the first photo
you will see. It's labeled Baking Soda Beads. You can click on the image
to make it larger so you can see all the bubbles.

Starlia

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/starliaklopman

"BeckiBead" wrote in message
Starlia -- what is the look? I have no idea what those are.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the

crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows

Old September 7th 03, 07:42 PM
Tink

Here's a thread about baking soda beads on Wet Canvas. Obviously, you can't
do much to neutralize encased baking soda beads, but if it's a surface
treatment, the use of vinegar might slow down the deterioration.

http://snurl.com/29ra

Something to remember is that the glass that most lampworkers use is
Moretti/Effetre. SODA lime glass. The addition of baking soda to the glass
actually changes the matrix of the glass, I do believe. So you're changing
the structure on a molecular level.

Cool, huh?

On a personal note, I haven't had any trouble with the encased baking soda
beads that I made well over a year ago. On the other hand, non-encased ones
continued to deteriorate to the point that they finally looked like small
meteorites. These were not neutralized.

--

Tink

www.blackswampglassworks.com
Sign Up Now For Fall Workshops!
Hollows, Vessels & Florals...

"starlia" wrote in message
I placed a small amount of baking soda on my marver. I make a bead, roll

it
in the baking soda, and then encase it in clear. Tink said something

about
neutralizing them, and I'm not sure how to do that yet.

Starlia

Old September 7th 03, 08:10 PM
Charlie

Ah, you have to have like, lampworking stuff. Never mind, I thought it
could be a possibility for those of us with no money or room to put stuff!

Charlie.

Old September 7th 03, 09:25 PM
BeckiBead

AH HA, thank you!!!

Old September 9th 03, 04:58 PM
JIM SIMMONS

I hate to show my ignorance, but could someone please enlighten me about
"baking soda beads"? Process, etc.?
Thanks
jim

Old September 9th 03, 06:02 PM
starlia

It's not ignorance. I just learned it this week myself. I had never heard
of it before I read a thread on wet canvas.

I have had success doing the following:

I take a 1/4 teaspoon and just fill it about 1/8th full of baking soda. I
put the baking soda on my graphite marver. I make a bead (dark transparents
are very pretty) and while the bead is still molten I roll it in a very thin
layer of baking soda. I then put it back in the flame to reshape, but high
in the flame. Then I encase it with clear, but I'm sure other transparent
colors will look well.

You have to be careful to not put a lot of baking soda or the beads will
crack. However, play with different mixes and you'll get to know how much
is too much and how much will leave the effect you like.

If you haven't seen the photos yet, go to my photo album at
http://photos.yahoo.com/starliaklopman. Click on the Beads folder and they
are the first photo available. You can click on the thumbnail and get a
larger photo.

Starlia

P.S. I might have left something out. If I did, I hope someone puts the
other steps in this thread.